LT winmodem problems...

Post by Warpe » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 01:37:01

Hi all

I have Compaq Armada E500. It has build in LT winmodem. I already
downloaded drivers for it (latest version form hobbes). During system
boot-up I receive:

"LT 33.6 data-fax modem detected."
"OS2 init:OK"
"OS2 PortOpen:failed"

I already tried COM.sys, SIO v1.60, SIO v2.0 - no difference.

Has somebody any idea ?

BR

--
cYa, 3.14iotr/2
Dobry programista wiesza si z programem....

LT winmodem problems...

Post by William L. Hartzel » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 03:27:20

Sir:

> Hi all

> I have Compaq Armada E500. It has build in LT winmodem. I already
> downloaded drivers for it (latest version form hobbes). During system
> boot-up I receive:

> "LT 33.6 data-fax modem detected."
> "OS2 init:OK"
> "OS2 PortOpen:failed"

> I already tried COM.sys, SIO v1.60, SIO v2.0 - no difference.

> Has somebody any idea ?

Try running a PCI snooper program to find the port address.  It may be
non conventional.  Also if your fixpack level for device drivers is
before fp3, you may need to make sure the com.sys driver is not sharing
an irq for that port.
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Warpe » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 04:59:22

Quote:> > Has somebody any idea ?

> Try running a PCI snooper program to find the port address.  It may be
> non conventional.  Also if your fixpack level for device drivers is
> before fp3, you may need to make sure the com.sys driver is not sharing
> an irq for that port.

Well,

PCI snooper gives I/O address for LT hardware. But I understand - it
is communication channel between hardware (data pump) & software
emulating modemCPU (in WinModem world hardware is only data pump. All
protocols, data com/decomp is done by host CPU & driver).
So giving this I/O address for COM drivers is IMHO messy idea (You
should point COM driver to output of LT driver instead of input).

Am I right ?

--
cYa, 3.14iotr/2
Dobry programista wiesza si z programem....
Hiroshima'45;   Czernobyl'86;   Windows'95

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Will Hone » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 06:25:57

Quote:> Hi all

> I have Compaq Armada E500. It has build in LT winmodem. I already
> downloaded drivers for it (latest version form hobbes). During system
> boot-up I receive:

> "LT 33.6 data-fax modem detected."
> "OS2 init:OK"
> "OS2 PortOpen:failed"

> I already tried COM.sys, SIO v1.60, SIO v2.0 - no difference.

> Has somebody any idea ?

Dredging up memories of installing that, it seems to me that there was
a problem of the LT modem wanting some wierd port setup and/or
conflicts with COM.SYS and/or SIO.  I recall playing with the other
on-board ports and such but I finally got it to work.  ISTR that I
found the port/irq that LTModem wanted with the hardware manager then
moved the other ports around to allow it to install.  If you can't
figure out the conflict, post again and I'll go by the server and see
just what I wound up with.  I was not impressed by the reliability and
performance of the modem, BTW, so I may have deleted the thing by now.
 The fact that the modem was actually found by the driver is a real
plus - you have hope <g>.

--

LT winmodem problems...

Post by William L. Hartzel » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:42:37

Sir:

>>> Has somebody any idea ?

>> Try running a PCI snooper program to find the port address.  It may
>> be non conventional.  Also if your fixpack level for device drivers
>> is before fp3, you may need to make sure the com.sys driver is not
>> sharing an irq for that port.

> Well,

> PCI snooper gives I/O address for LT hardware. But I understand - it
>  is communication channel between hardware (data pump) & software
> emulating modemCPU (in WinModem world hardware is only data pump. All
>  protocols, data com/decomp is done by host CPU & driver). So giving
> this I/O address for COM drivers is IMHO messy idea (You should point
> COM driver to output of LT driver instead of input).

> Am I right ?

You are probably right.  What does the hardware manager say is the port
address and irq?  That software runs at a little higher level.

--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Piotr Oniszczu » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:02:00

> > Has somebody any idea ?

> Dredging up memories of installing that, it seems to me that there was
> a problem of the LT modem wanting some wierd port setup and/or
> conflicts with COM.SYS and/or SIO.  I recall playing with the other
> on-board ports and such but I finally got it to work.  ISTR that I
> found the port/irq that LTModem wanted with the hardware manager then
> moved the other ports around to allow it to install.  If you can't
> figure out the conflict, post again and I'll go by the server and see
> just what I wound up with.  I was not impressed by the reliability and
> performance of the modem, BTW, so I may have deleted the thing by now.
>  The fact that the modem was actually found by the driver is a real
> plus - you have hope <g>.

"PCI device found"
"Enabled as COM2"
"OS2 Init: PortOpen failed"

For me it means that problem is with attaching COM driver with output
of modem driver.
Here is info from ScanPCI:

Vendor 11C1h Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)
Device 0445h LT WinModem
Command 0003h (I/O Access, Memory Access)
Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
Revision 00h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 00h
Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
PCI Class Simple Communication, type Serial
Subsystem ID 22048086h LT WinModem
Subsystem Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
Address 0 is an I/O Port : 00003470h
Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : 41300000h
System IRQ 11, INT# A
New Capabilities List Present:
  Power Management Capability
    Supports power state D1
    Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

I put in config following line:

DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (2,3470,11,I) /V.

During bootup I receive info about 2 COM ports 3f8:4 i 2f8:3, but no
info about 3470:11 - so it means that COM driver doesn't see COM2 from
LT. Also I think irq11 is wrong value, but how can I find proper irq
?.
Hardware man hasn't any info about LT modem ;-(

BR

--
cYa, 3.14iotr/2
Dobry programista wiesza si z programem....
Hiroshima'45;   Czernobyl'86;   Windows'95

LT winmodem problems...

Post by William L. Hartzel » Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:27:30

Sir:

>>>Has somebody any idea ?

>>Dredging up memories of installing that, it seems to me that there was
>>a problem of the LT modem wanting some wierd port setup and/or
>>conflicts with COM.SYS and/or SIO.  I recall playing with the other
>>on-board ports and such but I finally got it to work.  ISTR that I
>>found the port/irq that LTModem wanted with the hardware manager then
>>moved the other ports around to allow it to install.  If you can't
>>figure out the conflict, post again and I'll go by the server and see
>>just what I wound up with.  I was not impressed by the reliability and
>>performance of the modem, BTW, so I may have deleted the thing by now.
>> The fact that the modem was actually found by the driver is a real
>>plus - you have hope <g>.

> "PCI device found"
> "Enabled as COM2"
> "OS2 Init: PortOpen failed"

> For me it means that problem is with attaching COM driver with output
> of modem driver.
> Here is info from ScanPCI:

> Vendor 11C1h Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)
> Device 0445h LT WinModem
> Command 0003h (I/O Access, Memory Access)
> Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
> Revision 00h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 00h
> Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
> PCI Class Simple Communication, type Serial
> Subsystem ID 22048086h LT WinModem
> Subsystem Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
> Address 0 is an I/O Port : 00003470h
> Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : 41300000h
> System IRQ 11, INT# A
> New Capabilities List Present:
>   Power Management Capability
>     Supports power state D1
>     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

> I put in config following line:

> DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (2,3470,11,I) /V.

> During bootup I receive info about 2 COM ports 3f8:4 i 2f8:3, but no
> info about 3470:11 - so it means that COM driver doesn't see COM2 from
> LT. Also I think irq11 is wrong value, but how can I find proper irq
> ?.
> Hardware man hasn't any info about LT modem ;-(

This com port 2 may be your problem.  Look in BIOS in the super IO
settings and see if com2 is already assigned.  If it is, you have two
choices: A. disable com2 in Bios, B. change the port that the driver is
asking to com3.  Then change to this in
config.sys:DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (3,3470,11) /V.  I don't know if
the Winmodem driver will accept port changes.  Look at the strings
within the driver for a port switch and try that (load it into the
system editor).
--
Bill
Thanks a Million!

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Will Hone » Fri, 17 Oct 2003 04:26:39

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:02:00 UTC "Piotr Oniszczuk"

> "PCI device found"
> "Enabled as COM2"
> "OS2 Init: PortOpen failed"

> For me it means that problem is with attaching COM driver with output
> of modem driver.
> Here is info from ScanPCI:

> Vendor 11C1h Lucent/Agere Systems (Was: AT&T MicroElectronics)
> Device 0445h LT WinModem
> Command 0003h (I/O Access, Memory Access)
> Status 0210h (Has Capabilities List, Medium Timing)
> Revision 00h, Header Type 80h, Bus Latency 00h
> Self test 00h (Self test not supported)
> PCI Class Simple Communication, type Serial
> Subsystem ID 22048086h LT WinModem
> Subsystem Vendor 8086h Intel Corporation
> Address 0 is an I/O Port : 00003470h
> Address 1 is a Memory Address (anywhere in 0-4Gb) : 41300000h
> System IRQ 11, INT# A
> New Capabilities List Present:
>   Power Management Capability
>     Supports power state D1
>     Current Power State : D0 (Device operational, no power saving)

> I put in config following line:

> DEVICE=C:\OS2\BOOT\COM.SYS (2,3470,11,I) /V.

> During bootup I receive info about 2 COM ports 3f8:4 i 2f8:3, but no
> info about 3470:11 - so it means that COM driver doesn't see COM2 from
> LT. Also I think irq11 is wrong value, but how can I find proper irq
> ?.
> Hardware man hasn't any info about LT modem ;-(

SIO or COM.SYS will not see the LT port as the the LT driver provides
that service.  The rest of what you see is all too familiar to me.
First, I see a COM1 (3f8:4 should be the traditional COM1) as well as
a COM2 (2f8:3) .  That means that there are 2 COM2's there - and I
suspect that the LT modem is loaded after the SIO/COM line.  You can
disable the COM2 (2f8) in the BIOS or try changing the assigned port
to com3.  SIO will allow that altho COM.SYS is a PITA in that it
damned well insists that if you have 2 serial ports than the first is
com1 and the second is com2 and don't try to tell me any different!  I
looked at the server setup where I installed the LT modem and found
that I had tried two different setups: 1st disabling the onboard com2
in bios, then by tellign SIO to use com1 and com3 with the specified
serial port addresses while leaving com2 unused in the SIO line
(COM.SYS ignored me here).  Apparently, both worked but the result I
have in use now has the port disabled in the bios.  You will have to
work around the conflict in assigned port names - that was the
conflict I was referring to.

--

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Dave Savill » Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:36:00

Jumping in here - I can't get mine to work either - Here is the o/p
from scanpci

pci bus 0x0 cardnum 0x03 function 0x0000: vendor 0x8086 device 0x1229
 Intel 82557/8 10/100MBit network controller
 CardVendor 0x8086 card 0x2205
  STATUS    0x0290  COMMAND 0x0017
  CLASS     0x02 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x0c
  BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x80  LATENCY 0x42  CACHE 0x08
  BASE0     0xe8120000  addr 0xe8120000  MEM
  BASE1     0x00001801  addr 0x00001800  I/O
  BASE2     0xe8100000  addr 0xe8100000  MEM
  MAX_LAT   0x38  MIN_GNT 0x08  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b

pci bus 0x0 cardnum 0x03 function 0x0001: vendor 0x11c1 device 0x045c
 Device unknown
 CardVendor 0x8086 card 0x2205
  STATUS    0x0210  COMMAND 0x0003
  CLASS     0x07 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x01
  BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x80  LATENCY 0x00  CACHE 0x00
  BASE0     0x00001841  addr 0x00001840  I/O
  BASE1     0xe8121000  addr 0xe8121000  MEM
  MAX_LAT   0x00  MIN_GNT 0x00  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b

I suspect the second entry is the modem because the first is the NIC
and its an Intel Pro 100 combo so would expect the cardnumber to be the
same.

On boot I get an LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found.

The LTMBMOS2 line is *before* com.sys.

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Doug Bisset » Sat, 18 Oct 2003 02:41:04

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:36:00 UTC, "Dave Saville"

> Jumping in here - I can't get mine to work either - Here is the o/p
> from scanpci

> pci bus 0x0 cardnum 0x03 function 0x0000: vendor 0x8086 device 0x1229
>  Intel 82557/8 10/100MBit network controller
>  CardVendor 0x8086 card 0x2205
>   STATUS    0x0290  COMMAND 0x0017
>   CLASS     0x02 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x0c
>   BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x80  LATENCY 0x42  CACHE 0x08
>   BASE0     0xe8120000  addr 0xe8120000  MEM
>   BASE1     0x00001801  addr 0x00001800  I/O
>   BASE2     0xe8100000  addr 0xe8100000  MEM
>   MAX_LAT   0x38  MIN_GNT 0x08  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b

> pci bus 0x0 cardnum 0x03 function 0x0001: vendor 0x11c1 device 0x045c
>  Device unknown
>  CardVendor 0x8086 card 0x2205
>   STATUS    0x0210  COMMAND 0x0003
>   CLASS     0x07 0x00 0x00  REVISION 0x01
>   BIST      0x00  HEADER 0x80  LATENCY 0x00  CACHE 0x00
>   BASE0     0x00001841  addr 0x00001840  I/O
>   BASE1     0xe8121000  addr 0xe8121000  MEM
>   MAX_LAT   0x00  MIN_GNT 0x00  INT_PIN 0x01  INT_LINE 0x0b

> I suspect the second entry is the modem because the first is the NIC
> and its an Intel Pro 100 combo so would expect the cardnumber to be the
> same.

> On boot I get an LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found.

> The LTMBMOS2 line is *before* com.sys.

> Regards

> Dave Saville

> NB switch saville for nospam in address

The "LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found" message is a symptom of the old LT
driver. Get the later driver, from HOBBES, or, better,  from SWC, or
from the eComStation site. No guarantees that it will work, but it
should get past the message.

Hope this helps...
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Dave Savill » Sun, 19 Oct 2003 04:22:49

<snip>

Quote:>> On boot I get an LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found.

>> The LTMBMOS2 line is *before* com.sys.

>> Regards

>> Dave Saville

>> NB switch saville for nospam in address

>The "LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found" message is a symptom of the old LT
>driver. Get the later driver, from HOBBES, or, better,  from SWC, or
>from the eComStation site. No guarantees that it will work, but it
>should get past the message.

Only because they ship the file :-) I have the latest - still nogo.
Must be the type that does not work :-(

I took a peek at the linux source for the driver and the hex strings
for my card reported by pci match one of its entries. Wonder if IBM
just left some of them out? Pity it has not got some sort of debug
mode.

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

LT winmodem problems...

Post by Doug Bisset » Mon, 20 Oct 2003 03:12:15

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 19:22:49 UTC, "Dave Saville"

> <snip>

> >> On boot I get an LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found.

> >> The LTMBMOS2 line is *before* com.sys.

> >> Regards

> >> Dave Saville

> >> NB switch saville for nospam in address

> >The "LTEEPROM.DAT cannot be found" message is a symptom of the old LT
> >driver. Get the later driver, from HOBBES, or, better,  from SWC, or
> >from the eComStation site. No guarantees that it will work, but it
> >should get past the message.

> Only because they ship the file :-) I have the latest - still nogo.
> Must be the type that does not work :-(

> I took a peek at the linux source for the driver and the hex strings
> for my card reported by pci match one of its entries. Wonder if IBM
> just left some of them out? Pity it has not got some sort of debug
> mode.

> Regards

> Dave Saville

> NB switch saville for nospam in address

I did spend some time, trying to figure out if it was just missing
some strings, but I never did find anything that would work.
Apparently, there is an "AMR" version of the chip, that works
differently, and nobody has found any way to make that work. I have
not found any indication that mine is one of those, but I may have
missed something.

I have not followed up on it, but there is a project, meant to get
Win2K drivers to work with OS/2. Perhaps, there is something there
that will make the Win2K driver work.

Hope this helps...
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net

1. CD ROM recomendations requested <<<<<<<<<<<

Would anyone who is happy with their CD ROM drive's performance
under OS/2 2.1 mail me with brand names, etc.  I'm have a SCSI
card installed which controls my hard drive, so a SCSI CD ROM
would be preferable.

Thanks,

Steve Glow

2. Where did you get your Fossil case?

3. OS/2 stinks!!<<<<<<<----Reply!!!!

4. Sony CDU926: Any opinions ?

5. >>>---<<< Entertainment Club BBS >>>---<<<

6. Bell in shell?

7. -->>> *HELP* Warp & TEAC quad <<<---<<<----<<<<

8. FS: cd rom drive & floppy

9. <<<<<-----(*(*(*(* Win95-vs-OS/2-Warp

10. DOS<>OS/2 Named Pipe Programming <<<<HELP

11. >>>>> Kaypro Needed - please help <<<<<

12. LT Winmodem