Warp died & wont run OR install - HELP !

Warp died & wont run OR install - HELP !

Post by Paul Barnfathe » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Check out the header and you'll see I've got SERIOUS problems.

Story: I've been using OS/2 for a few years w/o difficulty. I've
been running Warp Try-Before-You Buy for a couple of weeks to see if
it's worth upgrading - I've been happy with OS/2 2.11 :-)

I switched on the other day, and Warp locked with a flashing white
square at the top left of the screen (just before starting PM).
Strange, thinks I. Reboot. Same thing.

I checked the .INI's - and found them READ ONLY. Reset this - OS/2
boots, up comes PM with snooze clock. Disk activity stops, but mouse
pointer moves OK. That's it. No desktop or WPS.

I have tried: replacing the .INI's , partial reinstall, total
reinstall, OSDELETE + reinstall several times (!!!) and I get the same
thing. PM starts (blue screen), disk activity stops and I get a mouse
pointer snooze clock that I can move and nothing else.

Windoze continues to work fine - I have tried EVERYTHING short of
reformatting (which I don't want to do). BTW, I have checked my
hardware, and everything seems fine. My system has always run OS/2
without anything major like this happening.

Please suggest something, anything !

Warp died & wont run OR install - HELP !

Post by Carl Fi » Tue, 04 Jul 1995 04:00:00

[tale of woe deleted]

Quote:

>I have tried: replacing the .INI's , partial reinstall, total
>reinstall, OSDELETE + reinstall several times (!!!) and I get the same
>thing. PM starts (blue screen), disk activity stops and I get a mouse
>pointer snooze clock that I can move and nothing else.

Have you tried pressing ALT-F2 at the "Blob", the little white box at
the top left of your screen just before PM starts?  That forces
CONFIG.SYS to load one line at a time, telling you what's happening,
which will at least let you discover where the problem lies.

If that fails, try ALT-F1 at the blob, which will load a CMD.EXE shell
and let you run OS/2 CHKDSK.

--

Assistant Sysop, GEnie's First and Fourth Science Fiction RoundTables
URL     http://www.io.com/~glitz/sfrt   (subject to change)

Post by pn.. » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Check out the header and you'll see I've got SERIOUS problems.

>Story: I've been using OS/2 for a few years w/o difficulty. I've
>been running Warp Try-Before-You Buy for a couple of weeks to see if
>it's worth upgrading - I've been happy with OS/2 2.11 :-)

>I switched on the other day, and Warp locked with a flashing white
>square at the top left of the screen (just before starting PM).
>Strange, thinks I. Reboot. Same thing.

>I checked the .INI's - and found them READ ONLY. Reset this - OS/2
>boots, up comes PM with snooze clock. Disk activity stops, but mouse
>pointer moves OK. That's it. No desktop or WPS.

>I have tried: replacing the .INI's , partial reinstall, total
>reinstall, OSDELETE + reinstall several times (!!!) and I get the same
>thing. PM starts (blue screen), disk activity stops and I get a mouse
>pointer snooze clock that I can move and nothing else.

>Windoze continues to work fine - I have tried EVERYTHING short of
>reformatting (which I don't want to do). BTW, I have checked my
>hardware, and everything seems fine. My system has always run OS/2
>without anything major like this happening.

>Please suggest something, anything !

Did you try pressing ALT + F1 at the same time at bootup?

The white box you now see in the upper left hand corner is a
indication that the system is starting.

By pressing ALT + F1 after seeing the white box in upper left corner
you should get a text mode screen with options for restoring all the
files back to when you installed warp.

Good Luck

Post by Shriman Gurun » Wed, 05 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> Story: I've been using OS/2 for a few years w/o difficulty. I've
> been running Warp Try-Before-You Buy for a couple of weeks to see if
> it's worth upgrading - I've been happy with OS/2 2.11 :-)

OK, this might seem dumb but I'll suggest it: Does the try-before-you-
buy deal only last 30 days or something before becoming unusable?  I had
an OS/2 CD that came with PC magazine (I think) that was like that.  You
might try changing the date in the CMOS (if your PC gives you the chance)
or under Windows or whatever and then trying a reinstall.  'Course,
fiddling the date to get more use out of a product is rather *...

Shriman Gurung

Warp died & wont run OR install - HELP !

Post by rac.. » Sat, 08 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Check out the header and you'll see I've got SERIOUS problems.

>Story: I've been using OS/2 for a few years w/o difficulty. I've
>been running Warp Try-Before-You Buy for a couple of weeks to see if
>it's worth upgrading - I've been happy with OS/2 2.11 :-)

>I switched on the other day, and Warp locked with a flashing white
>square at the top left of the screen (just before starting PM).
>Strange, thinks I. Reboot. Same thing.

>I checked the .INI's - and found them READ ONLY. Reset this - OS/2
>boots, up comes PM with snooze clock. Disk activity stops, but mouse
>pointer moves OK. That's it. No desktop or WPS.

Well, what I will tell will not help much but.......
I have re-installed Warp more than a dozen times with diff setups.
I have noticed that each time I did some little thing wrong
It would not work.  Maybe hardware, maybe something screwy I did
But thru it all I have learned alot about my computer and Warp
For me the blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner was due
to the buggy keyboard driver.  So I renamed the one on the install
disk and copied my 2.1 driver.  Works fine.
BTW keep plugging away at it.  I like Warp much better!

1. FP1 wont install on a fresh Warp 4 install (re-install).

Help!

Recently re-installed Warp 4.  Had problems I thought were from having too many
improper shutdowns.

Did a LONG format of the HPFS partition, re-installed Warp 4, re-installed Matrox
drivers (2.040 i think), re-installed M$ Office, EccoPro (16 bit) and the most recently
released Netscape/2.

When I try to do use the web version of the fix...which I had done successfully once
before...I get a quick (under 10% installed) message saying the process is complete
and it is cleaning up.  I press "ok" and then a SYS3170 (not 3175) error message
pops; it's the DOSCALL1.DLL problem.

I purposely did NOT log on to Netware before begining the FP install process.  I got the
error,  thinking it was related to Netware (??) and then logged on to NW and made
an explicit logoff.

Re-tried, same error.

The error happens when working from the SOFTWARE UPDATES (WEBEX) and when
I use NS/2 (after downloading the unzip.dll (\tcpipp\dll dir) and the rsuinst.exe
(\netscape dir) files.

'Been looking through Frank McKenny's "Applying Service to OS/2 Warp (nice doc!!),
but so far haven't seen what I'm doing wrong.

Obviously I'll be going over the doc again tonight, but if you have any clues...I'm
ACCEPTING!!!

Thanks!

Clif

2. Networking

3. Help: Reachout 4.04 wont install under Warp

4. SUN Ext 8mm Tape Drive

5. Warp 4 wont install multimedia Help!

6. : Process the mail queue

7. WARP 4 wont install network tcpip services help please

8. Hexachrome Printing

9. Installed 2.1 GA, noe EPM 5.51 wont run!

10. HELP: emacs wont run with mach32

11. Paradox v4.0 wont run under OS/2...help!

12. LOST top left button & Archie beta wont install

13. os/2 guy - die die die