SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

Post by William de Ha » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Then again, concerning the commercial implementations, what if every
>company (say, to take an example purely at random, Microsoft) adds
>proprietary extensions to the Java classes? There goes the standards...
>#pragma here we come.

Already happened. Microsoft recently announced that their "embrace and
extend" approach to the net will also include enhancements to their Java
implementation. Worse, they will be adding things to their JVM (now
renamed the Microsoft Virtual Machine) to optimize these extensions.

In other words, you'll be able to write Java apps on Windows that can do
things that can't be done on other Java platforms.

So, we're back to the old "do it portable or do it featureable" problem
we've had since time immemmorial. If Microsoft does manage to pull this
off, Java will be like Unix all over again - portable at a lowest common
demoninator, but with the majority of the work being done in the local
implementation's extensions. Also, the MS extensions are based on Win32,
which again limits the portability even more.

I hope it doesn't come to pass, but this could throw a monkey wrench
into the gears of the Java engine something fierce.

Deus Ex Machina Ltd., 3650 Kaneff Crescent, Mississauga, Ontario L5A 4A1
"No more tears now; I will think upon revenge." - Mary Queen of Scots.

1. Was: SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

  To continue along the lines of this thread.  There is not much Microsoft
can do to compete with Java.  It has released Visual J++, and it's own Java
SDK, but that does not stop the threat to Windows if the rest of the world
becomes "cross-platform" thus having not a need for the Win32 API.

  Microsoft has one ace in the hole, which turns out to be a curse.  If they
could get Visual Basic to run cross-platform by building a virtual-machine
in place of it's run-time DLL, bingo there goes God-knows-how-many VB coders
suddenly going cross-platform.  Not to mention it is an easier to pick up
language than Java.  Microsoft cares not about OOP and proper coding, those
attributes of Java become irrelevant in Microsoft and VB coders eyes.  The
curse is it kill the need for Windows.  Therefore Microsoft will never
implement it.

  Java is the first real threat to Windows/Microsoft.  The momentum of Java
is unmatched by any IS trent over the last 20 years.  A lot of people have a
problem picturing a world without Microsoft rule.  I just tell them to
picture themselves back in 1983 saying IBM will lose it's grasp over the PC
industry over the next 5 years.

  Things happen.  I can't help but wonder how many MS coders would be happy
if MS lost it's strangle hole over the industry.  If that were the case they
would not fear competing with MS if they were to go about their own
ventures.  People like to knock MS coders, but the truth is some of the
brightest hacker talent is up in Redmond.  Keeping them stagnant in
Microsoft-land may be keeping the next "killer app" from coming to life.

  Only time will tell where things are heading.  I hope for the sake of
progress Microsoft's shackles on the industry are broken by Java.

  Here's a nickel, got three pennies change?

2. Quantum 1225S 1.2 GiG SCSI-II Fast 3.5" HH

3. SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

4. PLEASE help me to find reference books regarding theoretical Disk Cache Software for MS-DOS

5. Was: SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REAL

6. IEEE Symposium on Computer Arithmetic

7. SUN'S JAVA: THE THREAT TO MICROSOFT IS REA

8. Property sheet OK button

9. Java and Sun win over Microsoft

10. Inter@ctive Week Online: "Sun blames Microsoft as its Java standardization plans die"

11. Microsoft just posted their Java contract with Sun

12. Sun sues Microsoft over Java!