Cann't Increase EMS for DOS session, why?

Cann't Increase EMS for DOS session, why?

Post by Jiansheng Zh » Mon, 28 Dec 1992 09:31:33

I have a 486/dx with 8 MB RAM. However, I couldn't increase EMS for
a DOS program beyond about 3 MB by changing DOS setting for this program.
(EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT=8196, for example).
Am I correct to assume with virtual memory I can have as much EMS as I want?
Thanks for any help.
P.S. I was able to have EMS more than 5 MB on another machine with similar
setup. There may be a trick I don't know.

--
Jiansheng Zhao
Dept. Chem. Eng, Univ. of B. C., Canada. V6T 1Z4

Post by Steve.With.. » Tue, 29 Dec 1992 01:58:28

> I have a 486/dx with 8 MB RAM. However, I couldn't increase EMS for
> a DOS program beyond about 3 MB by changing DOS setting for this program.
> (EMS_MEMORY_LIMIT=8196, for example).
> Am I correct to assume with virtual memory I can have as much EMS as I want?
> Thanks for any help.
> P.S. I was able to have EMS more than 5 MB on another machine with similar
> setup. There may be a trick I don't know.

How do you know it won't go higher than 3 megs? I have never seen this. You
should be able to set it for up 32Megs of EMS. It is only virtual, after all.
How big is your swap file and how much free space have you got on your
swapping partition?

Steve

--
Steve Withers - Wellington, New Zealand | On Sept. 19th, 88% of NZ voters opted

+64 4 478 4714                          | looks like we may get a more
**** Happy user of OS/2 v2!! ****       | democratic system "real soon now".

1. Why can't I increase my dos window size??

Why can't I increase my dos window size?  I've looked through every help file
on windows and not ONE of them tell you how to increase the window size.  I
have a 12 point font in a tiny little window I can't expand.  It simply wont
let me expand past this one point no matter which button i drag the window
with!  Help!  I can't see a thing in these tiny windows.
kevin c]

oloo

:w
:w!

:

:ZZ
:ZZ
:ZZ
:ZZ
:w!
 upal

2. Need suggestions with possible IDE

3. EMS in a dos session

4. HP-UX & dlopen

5. OS/2 2.1 DOS session - Is there an EMS and PCI conflict ?

6. Voice Mail Services

7. ARRRGH - SHUTDOWN: Why don't DOS/OS2 sessions have focus when opened?

8. HELP !!!!!!!

9. cann't access to other dos partition!

10. Why don't tape drives in a Dos session?

11. DOS sessions won't work under Warp.....why?

12. why doesn't "digital audio", or my joystick, work in a DOS session?

13. cann't install Dos progrem from drive B