Is there a global association app for OS/2?

Is there a global association app for OS/2?

Post by Bob Brada » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
hard drive individually.  Thanks.

Bob

Post by David Charl » Fri, 02 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
>globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
>application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
>hard drive individually.  Thanks.

No application is needed.  The WPS will do it for you.

Locate the application.  Open it's settings.  Go to the "Associations"
page.  Add the file type or filename filter you want to associate with
the application.  Go to the "General" page and make an icon if you
want.

That's it.  The files will be associated, unless they're already
associated with some other application.  (If a file type has two
associations, you can pick the one you want from the file's open
menu.)  The icon that the document has will be according to the
application it's associated with.  (If there are multiple
associations, you'll get the icon for whichever one is the default
open action.)

---------------------+--------------------------------------------------------
David Charlap        | The contents of this message are not the opinions of

Visix Software, Inc. +------------------------------------------------+-------
Member of Team-OS/2  | Quantum mechanics: The dream stuff is made of. |
---------------------+------------------------------------------------+

Post by Donald E. Stidwe » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

> I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
> globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
> application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
> hard drive individually.  Thanks.

> Bob

You want ASSOCEDIT which can be found on Hobbes.

//********************************************************//
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are
honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure,
whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good
report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on
these things. - Philippians 4:8
//********************************************************//
Donald E. Stidwell, RM1, USN
USS LaSalle (AGF-3)
COMSIXTHFLT Flagship

//********************************************************//

Is there a global association app for OS/2?

Post by Alex Schust » Sat, 03 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
> globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
> application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
> hard drive individually.  Thanks.

Yes! Get assoed03.zip, available everywhere.

        Alex

Post by William Unr » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
>> globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
>> application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
>> hard drive individually.  Thanks.

Maybe I don;t know what you mean, but go into a paintbrush object, go to
Settings->Association, put *.bmp into the New Name box and press Add
beside it and there you  are- all .bmp files will now refer to
paintbraush (and have its icon). It's all automatic, or don't I
understand your question?
--
Bill Unruh

Post by kcr.. » Sun, 04 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
>>globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
>>application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
>>hard drive individually.  Thanks.

>No application is needed.  The WPS will do it for you.

>Locate the application.  Open it's settings.  Go to the "Associations"
>page.  Add the file type or filename filter you want to associate with
>the application.  Go to the "General" page and make an icon if you
>want.

>That's it.  The files will be associated, unless they're already
>associated with some other application.  (If a file type has two
>associations, you can pick the one you want from the file's open
>menu.)  The icon that the document has will be according to the
>application it's associated with.  (If there are multiple
>associations, you'll get the icon for whichever one is the default
>open action.)

actually there is a global assoc. editor.  Its called, appropriately,
"association editor", its done by Hank Kelder.  Last version I saw
was v1.3 back in april 93.  Its good for doing mega modifications
to your associations.  For a mod here and there, the wps is pretty
easy to use. I don't know where on hobbes it is for sure... maybe
under wpsutils.

good luck
KCR

Post by ssu95.. » Thu, 08 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>> I am wondering if anyone knows of an application that will allow me to
>> globally associate a file type, for example, *.bmp with one particular
>> application, say, Paintbrush, without having to change each bmp file on my
>> hard drive individually.  Thanks.

>> Bob

>You want ASSOCEDIT which can be found on Hobbes.

All I did to do this was to make an Icon for the app, and in the settings page,
I Associated it with all the files of that type.

Post by Peter Moyl » Tue, 13 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>>You want ASSOCEDIT which can be found on Hobbes.
>All I did to do this was to make an Icon for the app, and in the settings page,
>I Associated it with all the files of that type.

Both answers are correct; but I find Assoedit worth recommending
for the following reasons:
 - you have to be an experienced OS/2 user to realise that the
   associations go on the program.  Nearly every beginner gets
   fooled into thinking that they have to go on the data file.
   It's not particularly an "intuitively obvious" arrangement.

 - even if you're an expert, it's easy to get into a situation
   where an association obviously exists but you can't see where
   the association is coming from.  (e.g. this happens when, for
   whatever reasons, you have several program objects all
   pointing to the same executable.)  In such a situation,
   you're better off with centralised association management.

--

                           ftp://ee.newcastle.edu.au/pub/www/Moylan.html

Is there a global association app for OS/2?

Post by Chris Lawrence (Cont » Fri, 16 Feb 1996 04:00:00

: >[snip]
: >if you have 2 or more graphic programs how do you go about selecting one over
: >the other as the default.  OS/2 seems to let the default be selected alphabetically.
: >For instance, I have HiJaak and PMJpeg, all new files default to HiJaak as the
: >default program to run when they are selected.  I can change the setting, but it
: >has to be done individually.

: The first association you assign is the default (I just tested this with *.BMP).
: In the example above, open the pgm object for HiJaak, delete the associations,
: then close it.  This leaves only PMJpeg, so it's first.  Now, reopen HiJaak's
: p.o. and reenter the assoc's.  Check the Open menu for a graphics file;  PMJpeg
: should now be the default (the file's icon may still be HiJaak's, but that will
: be corrected the next time you restart the WPS).

Unfortunately there is no simple way to select the default association, or to
edit the order of associations in OS/2.  The stock answer is to remove and
re-add your associations in the order you wish them.  Not fun.

Grab Assoed03 from Hobbes (I think that's the name).  Its a association
editor.  It allows full editing of all associations, both file-type and
file-extension based.  It reveals broken associations, simple default
association selection, plus all the normal features of adding, deleting,
re-orind associations.  Best of all, it provides a single, unified tool
for reviewing and maintaining your associations on a system-wide basis.

Post by Doug Darr » Sun, 18 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>: >[snip]

>Grab Assoed03 from Hobbes (I think that's the name).  Its a association
>editor.  It allows full editing of all associations, both file-type and
>file-extension based.  It reveals broken associations, simple default
>association selection, plus all the normal features of adding, deleting,
>re-orind associations.

>--

What's more, it provides a simple push-button "Set default" option for
any of your association stacks, which was (I think) the point of the
original question. But I believe the name on hobbes is ASSOED2.ZIP.
Just grab the 00index.txt file in \os2\ and do a quick search for
"assoed" and you'll turn it up.

[Ahem! and now the plug ... added so that Souper won't refuse to post
this note with fewer line then quotes] AssoEdit is written by Henk
Kelder, and it's freeware. Where would OS/2 be without Henk and his
cohorts?

Thanks, Henk!

1. Association, Am I crazy or is OS/2?

Please note that I have read ALL the documentation on association
both online and printed, as well as many, many of the posts on the subject.
So my question may because of a misunderstanding, but not because I didn't
RTFM......

I want .bmp files associated with my picture viewer of choice (PMview).
Normally, the .bmp association defaults to the OS/2 system Icon viewer.
So, I broke this association by removing the *.bmp entry in the current names
box of the program object for the OS/2 system icon editor (iconedit.exe).
After messing around some more, I realized that there is a Bitmaps template
which had iconedit.exe as the default menu open entry.  I changed this default
menu open entry to pmview.exe

If you're with me so far, I believe I should have covered all bases right?
BUT if I 'import' any new .bmp file into the system, it STILL shows up
associated with iconedit.exe!  Where the hell is this association coming
from?  I even tried rebooting to make sure that wasen't the problem....

This is driving me crazy.  Bug or feature?

--Don Lindbergh II

not a spokesperson for nlm

2. Computer/Gaming Exebitions!

3. Global Associations under Warp

4. Problem Registering SBS 2000 SR1

5. Global associations in Warp

6. Find help on DHTML

7. Global associations in Wa

8. Object marshalling

9. Global File Associations Help

10. Fix Packs - Am I am missing anything???

11. Running an app by association??

12. HELP: getting MS apps to realized I am connected