Please help Lan Distance over Lan Server 3.0

Please help Lan Distance over Lan Server 3.0

Post by fl.. » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

:
:

Quote:>The problem is:

>    Can we use the 3COM EtherLink III as the adapter card when use

>LAN Distance Server/Client software?

>Thanks !

I have heard that the Etherlink III cards do not run in promiscuous mode.
You will have to get a different adapter.  I think that some of the
older 3com cards will run in promiscuous mode, and the IBM adapters will
too.  I am sure that IBM has a list of supported adapters, but I do not
know where to look for it...

Robert Floyd

Post by Kai Uwe Romm » Mon, 24 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>This is a multi-part message in MIME format.

>:
>:
>>The problem is:

>>    Can we use the 3COM EtherLink III as the adapter card when use

>>LAN Distance Server/Client software?

>>Thanks !

>I have heard that the Etherlink III cards do not run in promiscuous mode.
>You will have to get a different adapter.  I think that some of the
>older 3com cards will run in promiscuous mode, and the IBM adapters will
>too.  I am sure that IBM has a list of supported adapters, but I do not
>know where to look for it...

The question if it does promiscuous mode or not relates to the driver
and not to the card. Current ELNK3 driver *do* support this
promiscuous mode.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel                                      Muenchen, Germany *

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

Post by F. Robert Fal » Tue, 25 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>The problem is:

>>    Can we use the 3COM EtherLink III as the adapter card when use
>>LAN Distance Server/Client software?
>I have heard that the Etherlink III cards do not run in promiscuous mode.
>You will have to get a different adapter.  I think that some of the
>older 3com cards will run in promiscuous mode, and the IBM adapters will
>too.  I am sure that IBM has a list of supported adapters, but I do not
>know where to look for it...

The list of supported adapters is right in the Lan Distance Server
manual.  Also, from talking with 3Com, they seem convinced that
it's just a software problem, since there's little difference between
the listed 3Com supported cards and the Elink 2/3 models.  I tried
some time ago to get a microchannel Elink2 card working with LD,
and I got to the point where it took all the statements correctly, but
bombed my video!  I quit there, but i'm convinced that if you install for
one of the default cards, and then substitute in the drivers for your
Elink3 card, you might get it to work.  This program is just another
example of a good program whithering because of lack of support for
newer equipment... Something IBM seems to be very good at.

-bob-
F. Robert Falbo    | Opinions are like,... well, you know.
Rome Laboratory    |
525 Brooks Road    | Visit TheRef(tm)... PC HardWare guide
Rome, NY 13441     | http://theref.c3d.rl.af.mil

1. Please help Lan Distance over Lan Server 3.0

I have already used the EtherLink III with LAN Distance. Make sure you
use the 2.01 ELNK3.OS2 or the 3.0 one included on the current 3COM
EtherDisk for that card.

Kai Uwe Rommel

--
/* Kai Uwe Rommel                                      Muenchen, Germany *

DOS ... is still a real mode only non-reentrant interrupt
handler, and always will be.                -Russell Williams

2. printer sharing

3. Lan Server and Lan Distance Reporting Utilities

4. No Graphics on Site

5. Please help: WFW to OS/2 LAN Server 3.0

6. t1-fraktur

7. Lan Server 3.0 unstable - HELP PLEASE!

8. help, I do not know what font this is !!!

9. Does OS/2 Lan Server 4.0 inc Lan Client 3.0?

10. Please help Lan Distance Installation