Merlin?

Post by Warren Hughe » Fri, 30 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I have a simple question.

For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM and dial up net access
What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?

Of course I realise installing VTD isn't an option.  So what else should I
be thinking about?

--
Warren

'So in the end when one is doing philosophy one gets to the point where one
would just like to emit an inarticulate sound'   (Wittgenstein, PI:261, 93)

Merlin?

Post by Brandon S. Allbery KF8 » Sat, 31 Aug 1996 04:00:00

+-----
| For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM and dial up net access
| What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?
+--->8

It's a LOT more stable, and somewhat faster --- although it needs more memory
so the speedup may be hidden by swapping on your system.  But the fact that
it's hard to get the thing to lock up (unless you use Object Desktop, more's
the pity) and the SIQ workaround originally introduced in FP17 actually works
for anything short of the WPS itself locking the SIQ (which is unrecoverable
in any case without killing the WPS) makes it a major improvement over Warp v3.

DISCLAIMER:  I'm an official gamma tester...

--

Merlin?

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 01 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have a simple question.

>For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM and dial up net access
>What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?

>Of course I realise installing VTD isn't an option.  So what else should I
>be thinking about?

>--
>Warren

>'So in the end when one is doing philosophy one gets to the point where one
>would just like to emit an inarticulate sound'   (Wittgenstein, PI:261, 93)

Warren-

Your system is my system basically.  I have a 486, 16mb system which I installed
the Merlin gamma onto about two weeks ago. I have found that the system is
quite responsive with Merlin and that system stability (without OD installed
unfortunately) is quite good.  I have not managed to lock the system at all with
the gamma installed.  There are many changes in the user interface that makes
Merlin more attractive.  Menus are different, rmb properties have changed.  The
interface itself appears more attractive.  The dos and win os2 support is quite
good. With a ide interface and a fat formatted drive you get the "trap door"
or dedicated dos sessions.  There is a great deal more integration of internet
access like the ftp folders which are kind of neat.  The other major thing is
the presence of Netscape Navigator after Merlin goes gold in September.
There are some java advances also.  There are some hardware diagnostics
tools which are neat also.
Over all, I believe that Merlin offers a stable system which carries forward the
compliancy with earlier programs.  I have not found a single program that does
not work under Merlin yet; except for Object Desktop.  OD, for some reason,
causes the system to not boot properly or when booted causes some bizarre
system behavior here.  Some programs, like colorworks, appear to start even
faster under the gamma than even under warp red spine.
There are a whole host of other things that we could discuss via personal email
so as not to clog the bandwidth here. I think that Merlin is quite exciting.  I cannot
use the voice stuff either.

Merlin?

Post by Steve Barn » Mon, 02 Sep 1996 04:00:00

 b> +-----
 b> | For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM
 b> and dial up net access
 b> | What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?
+--->8

 b> It's a LOT more stable, and somewhat faster --- although
 b> it needs more memory
 b> so the speedup may be hidden by swapping on your system.  But the fact that
 b> it's hard to get the thing to lock up (unless you use
 b> Object Desktop, more's
 b> the pity) and the SIQ workaround originally introduced
 b> in FP17 actually works
 b> for anything short of the WPS itself locking the SIQ
 b> (which is unrecoverable
 b> in any case without killing the WPS) makes it a major
 b> improvement over Warp v3.

You must be testing a different version of the Warp gamma than our Dept
has been using (22F). I have nothing installed on our gamma and it still
will hang just as much as Warp Connect will. Blaming your problems on
Object Desktop or any other third party product is really a shame since
it takes the blame off those responsible: IBM.  I have Object Desktop 1.5
on my home machine and I can say it has never once caused my system to
hang.

->Steven Barnes<-
Proud Member of Team OS/2

 b> DISCLAIMER:  I'm an official gamma tester...

 b> --

Merlin?

Post by mpe.. » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> b> +-----
> b> | For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM
> b> and dial up net access
> b> | What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?
>+--->8

> b> It's a LOT more stable, and somewhat faster --- although
> b> it needs more memory
> b> so the speedup may be hidden by swapping on your system.  But the fact that
> b> it's hard to get the thing to lock up (unless you use
> b> Object Desktop, more's
> b> the pity) and the SIQ workaround originally introduced
> b> in FP17 actually works
> b> for anything short of the WPS itself locking the SIQ
> b> (which is unrecoverable
> b> in any case without killing the WPS) makes it a major
> b> improvement over Warp v3.

>You must be testing a different version of the Warp gamma than our Dept
>has been using (22F). I have nothing installed on our gamma and it still
>will hang just as much as Warp Connect will. Blaming your problems on
>Object Desktop or any other third party product is really a shame since
>it takes the blame off those responsible: IBM.  I have Object Desktop 1.5
>on my home machine and I can say it has never once caused my system to
>hang.

>->Steven Barnes<-
>Proud Member of Team OS/2

> b> DISCLAIMER:  I'm an official gamma tester...

> b> --

Hi Steve-

Actually I am testing a different version unless your version number was
a typographical error above.  I received gamma build 23F and nto 22F for the
purposes of testing.  My results testing OD Pro 1.5 and Merlin Gamma is
that the gamma is quite stable until I load OD PRo 1.5.  When I do that,
it becomes quite unstable.  I am not blaming anyone or saying that its
anyone's fault.  In my own testing, OD has caused my system to be
quite unstable.  This has manifested itself in boot problems, desktop
corruption, and failure to boot the wps several times.  In fact, I cannot
boot the wps every other time when OD Pro 1.5 is installed.  I booted the
desktop over 20 times as a test and 10 times were failures.  The failures
stop at the same point each time; just as the control center is activating.
I have mentioned this to the IBM person who calls me on a daily basis and
have called and written Stardock Systems.
FWIW, my 23F gamma build has been quite stable and has come down only
one time and that was due to some stupid operator errors.

Merlin?

Post by mdec.. » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

..

Quote:>There are a whole host of other things that we could discuss via personal email
>so as not to clog the bandwidth here. I think that Merlin is quite exciting.  I cannot
>use the voice stuff either.

Why can't you use the VTD?

//--------------------------------------------------------------------
// Matt DeCaro

Merlin?

Post by mpe.. » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>There are a whole host of other things that we could discuss via personal email
>>so as not to clog the bandwidth here. I think that Merlin is quite exciting.  I cannot
>>use the voice stuff either.

>Why can't you use the VTD?

>//--------------------------------------------------------------------
>// Matt DeCaro

I am only running a 486dx4-100 with 16mb of ram here.  Not enough
according to IBM's information to run VDT.

Merlin?

Post by Brandon S. Allbery KF8 » Tue, 03 Sep 1996 04:00:00

+-----
| You must be testing a different version of the Warp gamma than our Dept
| has been using (22F). I have nothing installed on our gamma and it still
+--->8

Build 23F, and it doesn't hang.

| will hang just as much as Warp Connect will. Blaming your problems on
| Object Desktop or any other third party product is really a shame since
| it takes the blame off those responsible: IBM.  I have Object Desktop 1.5
+--->8

I can't hang it unless I install OD, therefore it's IBM's fault?  Lovely
logic.  Blame IBM for everything at all that goes wrong, since it's obviously
their place to work around anyone else's problems as well as their own.

OD doesn't cause me any problems unless I install my full complement of
programs (and therefore WPS objects).  I don't know which one is at fault,
but I do know that with my full complement and no OD on Warp v3 or Connect
I still get WPS instability (it is worse if I use OD's Control Center or Tab
Launchpad); I *don't* get instability under Merlin unless I use CC or TLP.

--

Merlin?

Post by Michael Per » Thu, 05 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>>Why can't you use the VTD?

>>I am only running a 486dx4-100 with 16mb of ram here.  Not enough
>>according to IBM's information to run VDT.

>Try it, if you've curious, 'cuz I suspect a lot of us are as well.  I
>have a DX4/100 w/20MB, and I'm curious if the VTN part would work (VTD
>will likely be VERY slow).

>--

>      Written offline using PC Yarn + Yep + FTE under OS/2 Warp
>             No wanna work.  Wanna bang on keyboard!

Rich-

I am interested in trying out VN but unfortunately right now I am in the midst of
upgrading my system's memory and am also missing a sound card which my son
thinks is his :).  Before I will be able to try out the VN portion I will have 64mb
of ram in the machine that has the gamma installed.

Merlin?

Post by Richard Stein » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

saying:

Quote:>I am interested in trying out VN but unfortunately right now I am in the
>midst of upgrading my system's memory and am also missing a sound card
>which my son thinks is his :).

Hehehe.  :-)

Quote:>Before I will be able to try out the VN portion I will have 64mb of ram
>in the machine that has the gamma installed.

Holy cow!  I'll have that in my new box (delivery date is the 17th...
Tick...  Tick...  I wish it was here), but that's still a lot.  Is that
a 486 box too?  Seems like overkill.  :-)

--

      Written offline using PC Yarn + Yep + FTE under OS/2 Warp
            Hey!  I'm a bit-twiddler, not a wire-weaver...

Merlin?

Post by Alex Bradl » Fri, 06 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Dunno what is wrong with your system but I have Merlin gamma 23f and Object
Desktop Professional installed and have had no problems at all. Merlin is
lookin sweet (and having ODPro makes it powerfully sweet!)

-Alex
---------------
OS/2 Review Magazine

Merlin?

Post by Mike Ne » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>>>There are a whole host of other things that we could discuss via personal
email
>>>so as not to clog the bandwidth here. I think that Merlin is quite
exciting.  I cannot
>>>use the voice stuff either.

>>Why can't you use the VTD?

>>//--------------------------------------------------------------------
>>// Matt DeCaro

>I am only running a 486dx4-100 with 16mb of ram here.  Not enough
>according to IBM's information to run VDT.

Actually from what I read in a magazine review (tested on a 486 laptop) you
can install and use the VTD.  The voice commands work well and responce is
good.  The actual voice dictation, on the other hand, is was slow almost to
the point it was unusable...but it was functional.

Since I already see this statement will cause much confusion, there are two
VTD modes.  Navigation and dictation.  Navigate mode is done in place of a
mouse.  For example "Open System Folder" opens the system folder.  Dictation
mode opens a window and you do free form speech...for example write an e-mail
to your freind.  When your done the window closes and the text is pasted into
the active document.

The difference in the speed probably stems from the fact that in dication
mode it has to figure out what your saying and spit it out as text with
proper spelling and grammer (to vs. two or too) and analyze voice inflections
for punctuation.  Navigate mode only has to recognize a few key words such as
"Open", "System", and "Folder" (a much smaller lexicon) and doesn't worry
about how to spit it out as text with proper spelling, punctuation, or
grammer.  Thus, a 486 will happilly "voice navigate" your desktop, but
dictation mode will be slow.

Merlin?

Post by Michael Per » Sun, 08 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>email
>exciting.  I cannot

>>>Why can't you use the VTD?

>>>//--------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>// Matt DeCaro

>>I am only running a 486dx4-100 with 16mb of ram here.  Not enough
>>according to IBM's information to run VDT.

>Actually from what I read in a magazine review (tested on a 486 laptop) you
>can install and use the VTD.  The voice commands work well and responce is
>good.  The actual voice dictation, on the other hand, is was slow almost to
>the point it was unusable...but it was functional.

>Since I already see this statement will cause much confusion, there are two
>VTD modes.  Navigation and dictation.  Navigate mode is done in place of a
>mouse.  For example "Open System Folder" opens the system folder.  Dictation
>mode opens a window and you do free form speech...for example write an e-mail
>to your freind.  When your done the window closes and the text is pasted into
>the active document.

>The difference in the speed probably stems from the fact that in dication
>mode it has to figure out what your saying and spit it out as text with
>proper spelling and grammer (to vs. two or too) and analyze voice inflections
>for punctuation.  Navigate mode only has to recognize a few key words such as
>"Open", "System", and "Folder" (a much smaller lexicon) and doesn't worry
>about how to spit it out as text with proper spelling, punctuation, or
>grammer.  Thus, a 486 will happilly "voice navigate" your desktop, but
>dictation mode will be slow.

Many thanks for the clarification about voice issues.  I will probably try some
combination of voice stuff shortly on the merlin gamma.

Merlin?

Post by g.. » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Dunno what is wrong with your system but I have Merlin gamma 23f and Object
>Desktop Professional installed and have had no problems at all. Merlin is
>lookin sweet (and having ODPro makes it powerfully sweet!)

>-Alex
>---------------
>OS/2 Review Magazine

I've read your reviews. You're the one who just can't find anything
wrong with Stardock products. Even the bugs are great according to
your reviews.

//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\

\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//

Merlin?

Post by Gilbert Pi » Mon, 09 Sep 1996 04:00:00

:>
:>
:>I have a simple question.
:>
:>For someone <say me> with an average 486, 16MB of RAM and dial up net access
:>What is Merlin going to offer over Warp?
:>
:>Of course I realise installing VTD isn't an option.  So what else should I
:>be thinking about?
:>

A number of things:

- Improved GUI
- True Type Fonts
- Newer Drivers
- Improved Win-OS/2 Performance
- Updated Bonus Pack
- Lotus Notes Mail
- Java Enhancements
- OpenDoc Enhancements
- Netscape for OS/2
- Remote Access Client
- Network Connectivity (that is if you aren't using Worp Connect)

It looks like it'll be a worthwhile upgrade.

Gil