Mysterious OS/2 Marketshare

Post by e-fr » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I have question:

Year after year, I read from "reliable" sources (like IEEE, IDC, etc)
about OS/2 marketshare. It seems decent, but everyone, or at least the
press, likes to pretend that OS/2 has rolled over and died.
So just where exactly is OS/2 being used/sold?

Take for example this article:
http://www.sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-linuxunix.html

Yes, it's a UNIX article, but in the middle of the report, you'll see a
table for _1998_ of all _NEW_ licenses shipped.

OS/2 ranks right up there with...Linux. Sure, granted, a lot of Linux
installs aren't registered or licensed, but check out the other numbers.
OS/2 shipped nearly 1/3 the licenses of ALL UNIX COMBINED. You can't tell
me that's a small market!
Earlier this year, I remember 2 of the big Anti-Virus guys fighting it out
for the OS/2 users when IBM sold off it's AV software...Were they fighting
over nothing?

What is this? Fake data? Active opposition to OS/2 or what the heck?
Maybe all OS/2 licenses go into some great, big black hole where people
buy the OS, but never any applications?

Isaac

Mysterious OS/2 Marketshare

Post by u.. » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Year after year, I read from "reliable" sources (like IEEE, IDC, etc)
>about OS/2 marketshare. It seems decent, but everyone, or at least the
>press, likes to pretend that OS/2 has rolled over and died.
>So just where exactly is OS/2 being used/sold?

>Take for example this article:
>http://www.sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-linuxunix.html

That's for servers.  You'll also notice that IBM is continuing
its server (Aurora) as usual.  It's the client (Warp) that's
fell off the radar screen.

Quote:>What is this? Fake data? Active opposition to OS/2 or what the heck?

If it's fake, it's a good fake.  I've seen 0.2% (as in less than 1%)
for OS/2 in the desktop count more often than anything else.  Or,
about 200k for every 100 million desktops.  Contrast Win9x at about
80% (80 million for every 100 million desktops) and NTw picking up
another 12%.  That makes it about 500 Win32 licenses for every one
OS/2 license out there.  Seems about right (500:1).

--
 Corne1 Huth    mixers - all sb, wss, cs423x, opl3sax, at-3dxg, xg-dsp
 ~~~~~~~~~~~       *wave - direct-disk play/rec, cd/dae, mpeg audio

Post by B. Ver » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

|That's for servers.  You'll also notice that IBM is continuing
|its server (Aurora) as usual.  It's the client (Warp) that's
|fell off the radar screen.
|
|>What is this? Fake data? Active opposition to OS/2 or what the heck?
|
|If it's fake, it's a good fake.  I've seen 0.2% (as in less than 1%)
|for OS/2 in the desktop count more often than anything else.  Or,
|about 200k for every 100 million desktops.

That does not strike me as a very reliable figure. I would suspect that
it does not include the clients sold bundled with servers, or the WSOD
clients. It probably does not include vertical application clients, nor
special-purpose clients like airline information systems.

But it is probably right that the typical OS/2 users do not purchase
much in the way of ordinary mass-market applications. There is a
market in very expensive, highly special software. Big applications
have been written in Smalltalk, and are usually tailored to each customer.
Things like "Advanced ISDN parts" by Maschek & Wimmers for a cool
USD 18500, "Express lane" by XDB systems for USD 1395 and up or
IBM's "Geo Interface developers edition" for USD 1560 are among the
less *. Many makers of financial software will not publish a price.
Given the many companies selling such software, it is rather likely
thay have found a market for their products.

1. According to the LA Times, OS/2 has a 3% marketshare...

I read an article in the LA Times this weekend which claimed that OS/2 has a
3% share of the OS/2 market...  The breakdown was approximately as follows,
though I can't remember all the numbers...

DOS w/ Windows
DOS
Mac 12% (I think)
UNIX 7%
Other 6%
OS/2 3.5 %

Doesn't bode well, does it?

2. Feature extraction of hyperbolic curves

3. IBM's OS/2 increases marketshare in banking

4. Digital floppies

5. Server marketshare 1q95 from IDC

6. View sqlDataSource prepared query with parameters

7. Byte Magazine - Server Marketshare

8. mysterious OS/2 hangs

9. Mysterious WIN-OS/2 app. in background !!! Aaargh!

10. PAS-16 and OS/2 2.0 sample playback problems (mysterious IRQ conflict)

11. Mysterious OS/2 fdisk Problem

12. PC Mag and mysterious Warp story.