Trouble reinstalling Warp4

Post by Scott Tietje » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I picked up a leftover Pentium133 from work, and I'm trying to install
OS/2 Warp 4 on it.  I added a 6.8GB harddrive to it.  Therefore, I
needed the IDEDASD updates applied to Install Disk 1 to make it load
properly -- I loaded the version from the last (July99) WarpUP! disk
from IB.  Slight complication -- I've got a SIIG SCSI card installed in
the box too.  Following its directions, I put the sigscsi.add driver
onto disk 1 and added it to the config.sys.  The problem is that I can't
fit that driver on the diskette, as there's not enough room left after
adding IDEDASD.

Following the suggestion in the ReadMe.Ins file on Disk 1, I deleted
IBM2SCSI.ADD and IBM2ADSK.ADD, and rem'd out their lines in the
Config.Sys there.  Therefore I had enough space to put the SIGSCSI.ADD
file on the disk and add it to the config.sys.

Now, I can bring up and do the initial Warp install on the new large
drive.  However, because the Config.Sys has the COPYFROMFLOPPY setting,
when it wants to grab from disk 1, it uses my updated floppy.  Guess
what?  The installer wants to copy the IBM2SCSI.ADD and IBM2ADSK.ADD
files, and won't continue because it doesn't find them on the floppy.
But, if I remove the copyfromfloppy, then the updated IBM1S506 and
related drivers from IDEDASD won't get loaded, and I won't be able to
talk to my larger harddrive.  I can't even remove the Readme.Ins file --
the installer looks for it too from the disk.

So, I'm caught between a rock and a hard place.  I can't remove the
files IBM suggested from the diskette to put the necessary driver,
because then the install fails looking for those deleted files.

I deleted the sigscsi.add driver and rem'd its line again.  The install
completed, and tried to reboot.  However, then it fails trying to load
Line 5 (which is for PMSHELL.EXE) of config.sys, because it can't find a
file SEAMLESS.  Has anyone seen this problem?  Your assistance is
appreciated.

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

->I can bring up and do the initial Warp install on the new large
->drive.  However, because the Config.Sys has the COPYFROMFLOPPY setting,
->when it wants to grab from disk 1, it uses my updated floppy.  Guess
->what?  The installer wants to copy the IBM2SCSI.ADD and IBM2ADSK.ADD
->files, and won't continue because it doesn't find them on the floppy.

From a command prompt do

ECHO REM >a:\IBM2SCSI.ADD
ECHO REM >A:\IBM2ADSK.ADD

(and any other files you may have deleted).

Trevor Hemsley, London, UK

Post by Jim Parke » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> ->I can bring up and do the initial Warp install on the new large
> ->drive.  However, because the Config.Sys has the COPYFROMFLOPPY setting,
> ->when it wants to grab from disk 1, it uses my updated floppy.  Guess
> ->what?  The installer wants to copy the IBM2SCSI.ADD and IBM2ADSK.ADD
> ->files, and won't continue because it doesn't find them on the floppy.

> From a command prompt do

> ECHO REM >a:\IBM2SCSI.ADD
> ECHO REM >A:\IBM2ADSK.ADD

> (and any other files you may have deleted).

> Trevor Hemsley, London, UK

Perhaps demonstrating my profound grasp of the obvious, I might add that you
want disk 1 in your floppy drive when you do this.

Scott, if you haven't figured it out, what this does for you is put two very
small files on disk 1 that have the names that the installer is looking for.
The installer doesn't care how big they are. Later, if it turns out you need
the real ones, you can replace them.

Jim

Trouble reinstalling Warp4

Post by Scott Tietje » Mon, 11 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Yes, I did understand the implications of what Trevor said -- just put a
minimal size garbage file onto the diskette so that the installer has
something to look for and copy even though it won't do anything with
it.  Good solution -- I wish I had thought of it myself, but I'll settle
for learning something from you fine people.  Thanks muchly.
        -- Scott Tietjen

> > ->I can bring up and do the initial Warp install on the new large
> > ->drive.  However, because the Config.Sys has the COPYFROMFLOPPY setting,
> > ->when it wants to grab from disk 1, it uses my updated floppy.  Guess
> > ->what?  The installer wants to copy the IBM2SCSI.ADD and IBM2ADSK.ADD
> > ->files, and won't continue because it doesn't find them on the floppy.

> > From a command prompt do

> > ECHO REM >a:\IBM2SCSI.ADD
> > ECHO REM >A:\IBM2ADSK.ADD

> > (and any other files you may have deleted).

> > Trevor Hemsley, London, UK

> Perhaps demonstrating my profound grasp of the obvious, I might add that you
> want disk 1 in your floppy drive when you do this.

> Scott, if you haven't figured it out, what this does for you is put two very
> small files on disk 1 that have the names that the installer is looking for.
> The installer doesn't care how big they are. Later, if it turns out you need
> the real ones, you can replace them.

> Jim

Trouble reinstalling Warp4

Post by Bob Germe » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Yes, I did understand the implications of what Trevor said -- just put a
> minimal size garbage file onto the diskette so that the installer has
> something to look for and copy even though it won't do anything with it.
> Good solution -- I wish I had thought of it myself, but I'll settle for
> learning something from you fine people.  Thanks muchly.
>    -- Scott Tietjen

If you delete any hardware related items from the floppy such as unneeded
AIC*.add files, you must also delete them from snoop.lst That should avoid
the problems you are experiencing.

Proudly running OS/2 Warp 4.0 w/ FixPack 9
MR/2 Ice Registration Number 67
Aut Pax Aut Bellum

1. reinstalled Fastback - still trouble

I uninstalled Fastback (I saved my history files in a temp directory, in
case I can still use them), and then reinstalled it (1.00, then 1.01, then
1.02.)  To see if it now worked, I tried to retrieve a history file from a
tape.  Fastback said it was reading the directory, then seeking to file
position, and that's where things stopped.  Nothing was transferred to my
hard drive, and the only option highlighted on the recovery screen was
"Pause."  After waiting 20 minutes, I decided nothing was going to happen.
I tried to close the program, but no go.  I had to reboot to end it.

Any idea what I should try next?

Thanks,

Alan

 *** Please remove .no.junk from my address to reply via e-mail. ***

2. NetWare comp. Screen Saver

3. Trouble Reinstalling Os/

4. From: in access-map

5. Trouble reinstalling OS/2 v2.0

6. VISUAL INTERDEV EDITOR

7. Reinstall Warp4 after Memory Upgrade?

8. HELP! TeX capacity exceeded, sorry [main memory size=262141].

9. reinstall Warp4, save VTD ??

10. Warp4 sym8xx.add? after reinstalling

11. Problem reinstalling Warp4

12. USR 56k only @ 28.8 after reinstall of Warp4

13. Palette manager: troubles, troubles, troubles!!