OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

Post by Omar Siddiq » Sun, 26 Nov 1995 04:00:00

I'm a Unix/X-Windows user who just recently started using a PC.  MS-Windows
(for Workgroups 3.1.1) is dishearteningly primitive and unstable), and
what reports I've heard of Windows95 aren't glowing.  So, what I'd like
to know is if I get OS/2 Warp (bug wise, how is Warp?  Pretty stable?)
or OS/2 2.1, how much compatibility will I have with:

1) Windows apps (WordPerfect, for instance)
2) MS-DOS apps.

Thanks,

-- These are my opinions only --
Omar Siddique| CS major - University of Maryland, Baltimore County campus

"Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

Post by Don Fo » Mon, 27 Nov 1995 04:00:00

: I'm a Unix/X-Windows user who just recently started using a PC.  MS-Windows
: (for Workgroups 3.1.1) is dishearteningly primitive and unstable), and
: what reports I've heard of Windows95 aren't glowing.  So, what I'd like
: to know is if I get OS/2 Warp (bug wise, how is Warp?  Pretty stable?)
: or OS/2 2.1, how much compatibility will I have with:

Bug-wise Warp is quite stable.  I can't remember the last time my systm
crashed.

: 1) Windows apps (WordPerfect, for instance)
: 2) MS-DOS apps.

Theoretically,all 16-bit Win 3.1 apps should run fine, though some people
do have some problems with some applications, that need a bit of tweaking
to get to work right.  Your mileage may vary.  The best thing to do is
try to migrate over to native OS/2 apps as much as possible.  Describe is
touted as a pretty good native OS/2 word processor, for example.

Also, if you really want your system to run at optimum effeciency while
getting the full benefits of OS/2, I'd recommend at least 16 mb. RAM.

One last thing, when you're running Windows apps, they can get just as
unstable and crash under Warp as they do under Windows, since they're
still running in a Windows enviroment, so don't expect great stability
from these programs.  At least Under OS/2 you can shield the rest of the
operating system so that when a Windows app crashes, it doesn't take the
rest of the system down with it.

though.  Get native OS/2 apps whenever possible.

P.S.-- DOS apps will run even better under OS/2 than under MS-DOS/Windows.

DonFox

: Thanks,

: -- These are my opinions only --
: Omar Siddique| CS major - University of Maryland, Baltimore County campus

: "Give me ambiguity or give me something else."

OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

Post by Kevin McCro » Tue, 28 Nov 1995 04:00:00

s:
:>
:>I'm a Unix/X-Windows user who just recently started using a PC.  MS-Windows
:>(for Workgroups 3.1.1) is dishearteningly primitive and unstable), and
:>what reports I've heard of Windows95 aren't glowing.  So, what I'd like
:>to know is if I get OS/2 Warp (bug wise, how is Warp?  Pretty stable?)
:>or OS/2 2.1, how much compatibility will I have with:
:>
:>1) Windows apps (WordPerfect, for instance)
The Windows Apps that I've used, Quicken 4.0, Sidekick for WIndows, and mIRC
have worked fine. I have also used Word 6.0, Excel 5 and Powerpoint with it
with no problems. I ran MS Mail3.1 within Warp for Windows. Had to ignore a
bunch or error messages from WFWG networking but could connect into an NT
domain from Warp with LanServer 4.0 just fine.

:>2) MS-DOS apps.

Haven't found any that haven't worked. I do know that DOS games that use
their own memory management schemes ( like jetfighter ) will not work with
OS/2. I've used a number of DOS programs without problems. Also have taken
advantage of the VDM settings to give multimedia programs more memory than
was on the machine.
:>
:>Thanks,

Kevin McCrory
"If it doesn't work, use a bigger hammer!"