Help NEC SCSI 2xCDROM, Adaptec 1520

Post by judi.. » Sat, 08 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install a second CDROM to an Adaptec 1520 SCSI on an
essentially EIDE system, and cannot get it to work.  I added the Adaptec
for it, but....   There is also a SoundBlaster 16 sound card which has the
other IDE CDROM attached.
This is a used CDROM, documentation did not come with it.
I have messed with IRQs to for conflicts, checked the information
from running rmview for possible problems and cannot see anything
that overlaps.
Won't work with the other CDROM unplugged, either.

Is there something I might try?

It's a 486 DX4/100, nothing unusual in hardware:  ATI mach 32 video card.
Connor 250 tape backup.

Any reasonable suggestions appreciated.

Post by Will Ro » Tue, 11 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: I am trying to install a second CDROM to an Adaptec 1520 SCSI on an
: essentially EIDE system, and cannot get it to work.  I added the Adaptec
: for it, but....   There is also a SoundBlaster 16 sound card which has the
: other IDE CDROM attached.
: This is a used CDROM, documentation did not come with it.
: I have messed with IRQs to for conflicts, checked the information
: from running rmview for possible problems and cannot see anything
: that overlaps.
: Won't work with the other CDROM unplugged, either.

Do the drivers load, does the CDROM light come on, does the CDROM
drive power up/ work in another machine?  One clash might be the
I/O ports - I've seen sound cards which failed to decode I/O
addresses fully, and used a whole bunch of them all over the place.

Will

1. Adaptec 1520 vs 1522 SCSI card

Could someone tell me what the difference between the Adaptec 1520 and
the 1522 SCSI cards is? Is it just that the latter has a floppy controller
onboard? Are they both SCSI II 16 bit cards (non-DMA). Are they both
good drivers for CDRoms and for SCSI hard disks?
I can get the 1520 for $89 Cdn, and the 1522 for $130 I believe they
said. My machine already has a floppy controller ( and an IDE disk)
Is there anyreason I should get the 22 ratehr than the 20?
Bill Unruh

2. HELP:SS5 - Can't deduct msgbuf?

3. OS/2 2.0 GA and Adaptec 1520 SCSI and Trap

4. A3000UX vs the unix mac (final args)

5. setting irq on an Adaptec 1520 SCSI card

6. Success High Audio on GS!!!

7. Help-Adaptec 1520/1522

8. ASPII Adaptec 1520/Microtec SMIISP/WinOS2 Help...

9. ??!!HELP???!!! Adaptec 1520/1522

10. Adeptec 1520 does not work with SCSI scanner - HELP!

11. Adaptec 1520 & sony Dat drive

12. Adaptec 1520 vs 1540?