WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Christopher Ba » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 07:03:56

does anyone know anything about something called WaveRunner
from IBM? I read a comment here that it was an ISDN adapter,
data modem and fax modem all roled up in one. Where can I get
specks?

Chris

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Oliver Haus » Tue, 22 Feb 1994 08:29:02

wrote about WaveRunner From IBM?.

Hi Chris,

c> does anyone know anything about something called WaveRunner
c> from IBM? I read a comment here that it was an ISDN adapter,
c> data modem and fax modem all roled up in one. Where can I get
c> specks?

Ok, the Waverunner is supposedly similar to the Windsurfer .... and
now you probably ask yourself what a windsurfer is :-)

The windsurfer is a wonderful little toy in that it works as a
Soundcard, FAX machine, Modem, Answering Machine and so on ... How this
works is that the card has a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) own
operating system (you load the software into the card) and can do all
mentioned tasks at the same time.

You have got something like a menu where you click on the ioptions you
want to employ - natuarally this card has its limit (I haven't tried
all of the features at once ..) Whats more intereting the beta drivers
for OS/2 are out and so far they just support the modem part (V32bis).

The nice thing is that you can upgrade the card fairly easily you just
hab\ve to get the right software ...

The WAVERUNNER how this was explained to me has instead of the modem
part an ISDN port (or maybe even in addition ??).

It sure saves some space in your computer ...

 regards

                      Oli

Oliver Hauser (FIDO)

___
 X KWQ/2 1.2d NR X If at first you don't succeed, put it out for beta test.

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Chris Bidmea » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 05:34:51

Quote:> does anyone know anything about something called WaveRunner > from IBM?

I read a comment here that it was an ISDN adapter, > data modem and fax
modem all roled up in one. Where can I get > specks?

Quote:> > Chris

It's an adapter card that uses IBM's MWAVE DSP.  Presumably IBM's PSP has
the specs.

+---
+-L i  Chris Bidmead, Technical Editor, "Which Computer?"
|   d              [structure is everything... nobody knows anything]
+---                    Wm. Goldman: "Adventures in the Screen Trade"

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Christopher Ba » Wed, 23 Feb 1994 09:43:07

>> does anyone know anything about something called
>WaveRunner > from IBM? I read a comment here that it
>was an ISDN adapter, > data modem and fax modem all
>roled up in one. Where can I get > specks?
>> > Chris

>It's an adapter card that uses IBM's MWAVE DSP.
>Presumably IBM's PSP has the specs.

I got the specs today by fax and have ordered one to take a
look at it. Another stealth product from IBM! It looks
terrific: ISDN adapter, Fax modem and 14.4kbps data modem. It
empowers many OS/2 products including TCP/IP and P2P. I hope
the real thing is as good as the press release.

If anyone wants to see the specs, I've got them in FaxWorks
*.fax form.

Chris

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Gilbert-How.. » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 00:26:39

>wrote about WaveRunner From IBM?.

>Hi Chris,

>c> does anyone know anything about something called WaveRunner
>c> from IBM? I read a comment here that it was an ISDN adapter,
>c> data modem and fax modem all roled up in one. Where can I get
>c> specks?

>Ok, the Waverunner is supposedly similar to the Windsurfer .... and
>now you probably ask yourself what a windsurfer is :-)

No, the Waverunner and Windsurfer are different cards.

The Windsurfer has external telephone connections and audio (microphone, speaker)
connections.  It combines modem and sound card functions.  It can just act as a modem,
or just as a sound card, or it can connect the two and provide a telephone answering
machine, voice mail, autodialer function.

The WaveRunner has only modem functions and combines them with an ISDN interface.
ISDN, of course, supports both voice and data connections.  If one computer with ISDN
connects to a second computer with ISDN, then they can transfer data at top speed.
However, in the real world few of the people that you might want to talk to have ISDN
connections.  So WaveRunner gets around this by using its DSP to generate modem
tones OVER THE VOICE PART OF ISDN, to accomplish a data/fax connection when you
have an ISDN connection and the other party has only a plain modem.

WaveRunner does not function as a sound card for multimedia.  Windsurfer does.

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Christopher Ba » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 00:40:11

Thanks. I bought one. Reveiw in a week or so.

Chris

>On the 02-20-1994 I received a message from

>IBM?.

>Hi Chris,

>c> does anyone know anything about something called
>WaveRunner c> from IBM? I read a comment here that it
>was an ISDN adapter, c> data modem and fax modem all
>roled up in one. Where can I get c> specks?

>Ok, the Waverunner is supposedly similar to the
>Windsurfer .... and  now you probably ask yourself what
>a windsurfer is :-)

>The windsurfer is a wonderful little toy in that it
>works as a  Soundcard, FAX machine, Modem, Answering
>Machine and so on ... How this  works is that the card
>has a DSP (Digital Signal Processor) own  operating
>system (you load the software into the card) and can do
>all  mentioned tasks at the same time.

>You have got something like a menu where you click on
>the ioptions you  want to employ - natuarally this card
>has its limit (I haven't tried  all of the features at
>once ..) Whats more intereting the beta drivers  for
>OS/2 are out and so far they just support the modem
>part (V32bis).

>The nice thing is that you can upgrade the card fairly
>easily you just  hab\ve to get the right software ...

>The WAVERUNNER how this was explained to me has instead
>of the modem  part an ISDN port (or maybe even in
>addition ??).

>It sure saves some space in your computer ...

> regards

>                      Oli

>Oliver Hauser (FIDO)

>___
> X KWQ/2 1.2d NR X If at first you don't succeed, put
>it out for beta test.

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Oliver Haus » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 08:33:02

who wrote about WaveRunner From IBM?.

Hi john

j> You just can't use more than one feature at a time (a major
j> weakness, IMHO).  ;-)

Which card ?/ Windsurfer or Waverunner ??
The Windsurfer can do more than one thing ... Soundcardpart and
Modem?Fax part work together ...
 regards

                      Oli

Oliver Hauser (FIDO)

___
 X KWQ/2 1.2d NR X "I prefer to call it a Target Rich Enviroment..."

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Bernie Thomps » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 12:56:01

Check out the comp.dcom.isdn forum ... Larry Marks is one of the
developers of IBM's WaveRunner ISDN modem .. and he hangs out over there.
It's a killer product for ISDN .. the best on the market to access the
higher bandwidth of ISDN while still being able to communicate with the
analog world of the modems we're used to.  Lots of work went into the
product.  (it supports Win 3.1 and OS/2 2.1)

--
Bernie Thompson -- Internet connected with Linux via PSU dorm ethernet
                   PSU Linux WWW: http://bjt105.rh.psu.edu/www.html

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by Peter R. Syke » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 17:43:37

Quote:> Check out the comp.dcom.isdn forum ... Larry Marks is one of the
> developers of IBM's WaveRunner ISDN modem .. and he hangs out over there.
> It's a killer product for ISDN .. the best on the market to access the
> higher bandwidth of ISDN while still being able to communicate with the
> analog world of the modems we're used to.  Lots of work went into the
> product.  (it supports Win 3.1 and OS/2 2.1)

Anybody know anything about the likelihood (or otherwise) and timescale of
a UK version???
--
Regards,

    SENLAC Computing Ltd.,         Compuserve:        100113,603
    Brighton,                      IBM Mail Exchange: i1033602
    BN1 1HF                        Phone:             +44 (0)273 208074
    England                        Fax:               +44 (0)273 738258

WaveRunner From IBM?

Post by John Nav » Thu, 24 Feb 1994 18:40:00

> Ok, the Waverunner is supposedly similar to the Windsurfer .... and
> now you probably ask yourself what a windsurfer is :-)
> The windsurfer is a wonderful little toy in that it works as a
> Soundcard, FAX machine, Modem, Answering Machine and so on ... How
> this works is that the card has a DSP (Digital Signal Processor)
> own operating system (you load the software into the card) and can
> do all mentioned tasks at the same time.
> You have got something like a menu where you click on the ioptions
> you want to employ - natuarally this card has its limit (I haven't
> tried all of the features at once ..) Whats more intereting the
> beta drivers for OS/2 are out and so far they just support the
> modem part (V32bis).
> The nice thing is that you can upgrade the card fairly easily you
> just hab\ve to get the right software ...
> The WAVERUNNER how this was explained to me has instead of the
> modem part an ISDN port (or maybe even in addition ??).
> It sure saves some space in your computer ...

You just can't use more than one feature at a time (a major weakness,
IMHO).  ;-)

Best regards,
John

----
| The Transfer Station BBS (510) 837-4610 & 837-5591 (V.32bis both lines)|
| Danville, California, USA. 1.5 GIG Files & FREE public Internet Access |

1. IBM PS/2 95 MCA & Waverunner 2.2 ISDN Card

Hi all,

I'm having problems getting connected via the S0 bus using the above card
built into my IBM PS/2 95 MCA. My ISDN telephone system is a Hicom 100 E
by Siemens. After dialing, I get a 'Connect' initially, which then is
interrupted after a short time indicating IN 30 [Cause 19] followed by WN
50 [Cause 99]. It appears that prior to establishing a full connection
the Waverunner card expects a signal from the participant which it
doesn't get, or is receiving a wrong signal, or a signal which it cannot
identify. Has anybody experienced similar problems and found a solution,
workaround etc. ?

Thanks in advance

Bert

2. Amiga CDROM Home Page..Available

3. IBM Waverunner ISDN Adaptor

4. Lexmark 5700 Rebate Coupon

5. IBM WaveRunner/Warp Connect,Other Network Dialer

6. Expert Systems in C++

7. ISDN -> IBM Waverunner

8. Need Senior Web Developer

9. Anybody Using IBM Waverunner ISDN Modem?

10. OS/2 ISDN and IBM WaveRunner

11. IBM WaveRunner software updates

12. Waverunner and NT - Not!

13. ISDN, Waverunner, and OS/2