SyQuest Removable Drives?

Post by Philip Polst » Sun, 08 May 1994 00:41:57

Do the SyQuest removable 105MB cartridge drives work under OS/2?

Phil Polstra
Team OS/2

FidoNet: 1:201/100  \- The Hangar/2 BBS 16.8 kbps ZyXEL (317)583-0732
FlyNet: 196/7050/2 /

SyQuest Removable Drives?

Post by ESCHUL.. » Sun, 08 May 1994 08:24:30

>Do the SyQuest removable 105MB cartridge drives work under OS/2?
>Phil Polstra
>Team OS/2

>FidoNet: 1:201/100  \- The Hangar/2 BBS 16.8 kbps ZyXEL (317)583-0732
>FlyNet: 196/7050/2 /

In a word, yes.

But there are restrictions which are documented in the OS/2 2.1 manual
and in a file on the SyQuest BBS.

Here's the short version of the restrictions.

Choose one:
(a) Access the drive through .ADD drivers.  You can access the cartridge
as though it were a very big floppy disk and you can remove the cartridge
safely anytime.  You cannot use the cartridge under "real" DOS.

(b) Access the drive with the same drivers you would use for DOS and your
SCSI card.  You must reboot OS/2 to change cartridges.  You can use the
cartridge under OS/2 or DOS.  Do not partition the cartridge if you
choose this option or it cannot be used under OS/2.

The document on the SyQuest BBS said they and IBM were working on the
problems and full removeability would be supported by 4th Quarter 1992
(that obviously did not come to pass).

In no case can you format the cartridge HPFS, though this might get fixed
some time too.

Erich Schulman (KTN4CA)

SyQuest Removable Drives?

Post by Jochen Friedri » Wed, 11 May 1994 01:35:17

Quote:>>Do the SyQuest removable 105MB cartridge drives work under OS/2?
>Choose one:
>(a) Access the drive through .ADD drivers.  You can access the cartridge
>as though it were a very big floppy disk and you can remove the cartridge
>safely anytime.  You cannot use the cartridge under "real" DOS.
>(b) Access the drive with the same drivers you would use for DOS and your
>SCSI card.  You must reboot OS/2 to change cartridges.  You can use the
>cartridge under OS/2 or DOS.  Do not partition the cartridge if you
>choose this option or it cannot be used under OS/2.
>The document on the SyQuest BBS said they and IBM were working on the
>problems and full removeability would be supported by 4th Quarter 1992
>(that obviously did not come to pass).
>In no case can you format the cartridge HPFS, though this might get fixed
>some time too.

(c) Use LOCKDRV.FLT and the *.ADD driver. The restrictions are the same as
(b), but you have write cache and HPFS support. The drive gets locked, so you
can't change the disk while OS/2 is running, you have to shut down to change a
disk.

Cheers,
Jochen     [Team OS/2]
--

The opinions i posted in this article are my very one ones
and do not reflect the opinion of SAS.

SyQuest Removable Drives?

Post by Dick Sidbu » Thu, 12 May 1994 07:59:29

|> >Choose one:
|> >(a) Access the drive through .ADD drivers.  You can access the cartridge
|> >as though it were a very big floppy disk and you can remove the cartridge
|> >safely anytime.  You cannot use the cartridge under "real" DOS.

Yes you can, maybe.  I do it everyday.  The trick is that the drivers for dos
and os/2 have to be compatible.  I use an adaptec scsi ( the one on the soundblaster
16 scsi) and ezscsi 2.0.  That treats the disk as a giant floppy under both DOS
and os/2.  The speed is even tolerable. (I've played doom from a syquest with no cache)

--

university of scranton                  phone    : (717)-941-6109
scranton, pa 18510-4664                 fax      : (717)-941-4250

1. SyQuest removable drive, OS/2 on logical partition

SyQuest removable drive with OS/2 on logical partition

The documentation for the syquest removability support says
this doesn't work.  It tried it.  It doesn't work.

Is there a way to stop OS/2 remapping the logical partition
drive letter (i.e. the boot drive) when it sees the primary
partition on the SyQuest drive?

(I am aware that you can format the SyQuest as a floppy
to avoid this problem).

Currently using Toshiba T2130CS notebook, New Media Bus
Toaster SCSI card, SyQuest 3.5" 270MB drive.

--

Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Monash University, Australia

2. External DF0? How

3. Removable Syquest Drive Corruption

4. CFP: International Conference on Computational Intelligence for Modelling, Control and Automation - CIMCA'2001

5. Syquest 270MB removable drive and OS/2 ?

6. DOC-RAM swapping with MIDI seqs (was 2 questions...)

7. Syquest scsi removable drive under OS/2

8. Lead Level Designer Wanted

9. Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

10. Syquest & IOMega: Should I buy a ZIP drive now or wait for SyQuest?

11. Syquest drive support is on Syquest BBS

12. Syquest Syquest Syquest HEEEEELP

13. Removable Disk: SyQuest vs MO