Rebate for current OS/2 users?

Post by Christopher Hemm » Fri, 14 Oct 1994 14:51:48

Well it's offical.  Warp is soon to hit the shelves.  We all know that
Warp for Windoze will cost about $80 minus a $50 upgrade for current for
Windoze users, but what will current OS/2 2.11 w/ Win-OS/2 get.  I put my
copy on order at Software Etc. for $129 the other day, and I'm wondering
what kind of rebate I will get.  If I don't have to pay for the Win 3.1
license again, which seems to be the case, then it seems us full pack
upgraders should get a rebate that makes our price the same as that for
the for Win upgraders.  Logically this makes sense, but when has the
computer industry been logical?  Anyone know what the rebate will be for
the full pack, and how do we get it?  Do we have to call IBM or will
there be a certificate for rebate ($90 if my logic holds) in the box.
Thanks in advance for any insight.

Chris

Christopher Hemmer             OS/2 forever!

Rebate for current OS/2 users?

Post by d.. » Sat, 15 Oct 1994 05:33:49

Quote:>Well it's offical.  Warp is soon to hit the shelves.  We all know that
>Warp for Windoze will cost about $80 minus a $50 upgrade for current for
>Windoze users, but what will current OS/2 2.11 w/ Win-OS/2 get.  I put my
>copy on order at Software Etc. for $129 the other day, and I'm wondering
>what kind of rebate I will get.  If I don't have to pay for the Win 3.1
>license again, which seems to be the case, then it seems us full pack
>upgraders should get a rebate that makes our price the same as that for
>the for Win upgraders.  Logically this makes sense, but when has the
>computer industry been logical?  Anyone know what the rebate will be for
>the full pack, and how do we get it?  Do we have to call IBM or will
>there be a certificate for rebate ($90 if my logic holds) in the box.
>Thanks in advance for any insight.

Chris -
With the OS/2 v3 with WIN-OS2 instead of a rebate coupon, there is an
upgrade path.  The retail price for OS/2 v3 with WIN-OS2 is 199.00
(which you apparently ordered for 129.00 if I read the above correctly.)
The UPGRADE OS/2 v3 with WIN-OS2 retails for 149.00.  If you can
order this through the same vendor (it has it's own part number) and
get the same type of discount, you would be paying about 97.00 for
the upgrade package. That is IF one is going to be able to handle
the upgrade through the retail dealer channel.  (And that is a substantial
'IF' since in the past I've always ordered the upgrades directly from IBM... the
retail outlets that carried software at discounts instead of 'list' <such
as Egghead vs. the larger computer stores> never quite understood what
I was talking about).  They probably maintained the usual 'upgrade' path
for WIN-OS2 version since that would include the large corporate accounts.

Doug Barclay

1. Is there a $25 rebate on 3.0 for current owners?

I've seen unsubstantiated statements that there will be a $25 rebate for
current owners of OS/24WIN.  However, when I called IBM PC Direct at
1-800-3IB-MOS2 they told me that Warp 3.0 is a new release and that there
is no upgrade price or rebate that they are aware of, except for the now
famous $50 rebate for new purchases of OS/24WIN.  They did offer me that
for $24.95.

Can anyone give a definitive answer to those of us who have used OS/2
for months/years now?  Who can answer this with the authority to speak
for IBM?  I'd call this person, but I don't know who he/she is.

Now, perhaps IBM PC Direct isn't he right place to call for the answer
but it's the only number I have.  Anybody know a different place?  Is
Tim Sipples (hope I got that right) listening?  Somebody, *please*
straighten this out.

Bill

2. psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?

3. Upgrade Path, current OS/2 win user

4. SBS4.5 remote setup

5. $25 rebate for faithful users?

6. News webpart and images

7. There *is* a Warp rebate for v2.1 users!

8. Calcomp 5735 E-stat and R13

9. zdnet poll reveals 1/3 of current win95 users to use os2

10. CSD for Current Users when Full Version Ships?

11. ANN: SPG Announces Upgrade Offer to Current ColorWorks Users for ColorWorks:WEB 3

12. How can I get the current user ID in VA for Basic ?

13. Can't get current user name...