Why, oh why, oh why do we have to suffer this from IBM?

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to suffer this from IBM?

Post by John Poltora » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 09:13:06

Whilst looking for some Crystal Sound drivers at IBM DD Pak On-line, I
came across this page for the CS4237B chip:-

http://service5.boulder.ibm.com/2bcprod.nsf/186d96ebef23e6438625689c0...

On this page, it clearly says:-

Last Updated on: 04/06/2001 10:05 AM

yet the downloadable file - OS2205FM.EXE contains files which are at
least *THREE* years old!!!

Why does IBM do this?!!!

On top of this, Crystal actually provide an updated driver - OS2209FM
which is two years newer.

Does no one at IBM give a damn about maintaining DD Pak On-Line?

Irv,

Is there any way you can take this over? It desperately needs sorting
out.

--
John

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to suffer this from IBM?

Post by Irv Spalte » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 10:29:31

Nope, Barry Bryan, who appends here is in charge, and he's done an
OUTSTANDING JOB!!!

I'll ask Barry, but I suspect this is a result of moving the pages to a
Notes Database.

Barry will tell you, I've been one of the harshest critics of the pages
since they were moved.

Irv

Post by Al Sava » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 16:58:13

> Last Updated on: 04/06/2001 10:05 AM

> yet the downloadable file - OS2205FM.EXE contains files which are at
> least *THREE* years old!!!

This is appallingly easy to do when using HTML preprocessing or SSI to
autogenerate the HTML at runtime, and that is why I suspect that someone
merely copied a bunch of files (using a method which updates the files'
timestamp, such as ftp), and the HTML-generating code likely just reads
the timestamp and sends it out to us.  It's a common scenario.

IOW, it was easy and nobody complains (to the right person).  More
counterproductive, dehumanizing technology, which was designed to make
the support process easier (ie, nobody has to actually *maintain* a
field in a database table with a rev date) but turns into a maintenance
neglect nightmare for the customer.

Quote:> On top of this, Crystal actually provide an updated driver - OS2209FM
> which is two years newer.

I can't speak to this, as I have no idea why IBM's database of drivers
gets updated, much less how it *fails* to get updated!  You'd think,
with an installed base of millions of users, that one or two would spot
this and make a suggestion . . . and that someone on IBM's end would
follow through, but it still amazes me how few people who work for a
living actually take pride in their work.

OTOH, it's much easier to take pride in your work when you're working on
a project that you know is supported and is going forward, and when you
receive positive feedback -- I imagine that for OS/2 maintenance, the
ratio of positive feedback to neg is only 1 to 10.

--
Regards,
Al S.

* Hillman & Rootes Group manuals online: http://asavage.fdns.net/Hillman
* Ford Falcon manuals online:                  http://FalconFAQ.fdns.net
This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP15) uptime is 6 days 01:01 hours

Post by John Poltora » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:21:00

> > Last Updated on: 04/06/2001 10:05 AM

> > yet the downloadable file - OS2205FM.EXE contains files which are at
> > least *THREE* years old!!!

> This is appallingly easy to do when using HTML preprocessing or SSI to
> autogenerate the HTML at runtime, and that is why I suspect that someone
> merely copied a bunch of files (using a method which updates the files'
> timestamp, such as ftp), and the HTML-generating code likely just reads
> the timestamp and sends it out to us.  It's a common scenario.

> IOW, it was easy and nobody complains (to the right person).  More
> counterproductive, dehumanizing technology, which was designed to make
> the support process easier (ie, nobody has to actually *maintain* a
> field in a database table with a rev date) but turns into a maintenance
> neglect nightmare for the customer.

Correct dates are easy to maintain with a little care and forethought. Last
update date should the file date
rather than the date the Web page was last touched. That also brings me to
another pet grouse...

ZIP files of archives should always dated according to the contents. This is
easy to do using the '-o' flag
with ZIP. There are ***soooooo   many******* times when I've downloaded a
file with a recent timestamp
only to find this date bears no relation to its contents which can often be
many years old.

Quote:

> --
> Regards,
> Al S.

> * Hillman & Rootes Group manuals online: http://asavage.fdns.net/Hillman
> * Ford Falcon manuals online:                  http://FalconFAQ.fdns.net
> This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP15) uptime is 6 days 01:01 hours

--
John

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to suffer this from IBM?

Post by William L. Hartzel » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 07:06:12

Sir:
Look here to elevate your * pressure some more:
<ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/os2_ews/>  April of 2000?
Bill

Post by John Poltora » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 09:48:38

> Nope, Barry Bryan, who appends here is in charge, and he's done an
> OUTSTANDING JOB!!!

OK, if Barry posts here he deserves our support and encouragement - he probably needs it.

Quote:> I'll ask Barry, but I suspect this is a result of moving the pages to a
> Notes Database.

> Barry will tell you, I've been one of the harshest critics of the pages
> since they were moved.

Having page dates updated simply because of a move is a concern, and it should, of course, be addressed - we don't need  a page
date alluding to a file being refreshed when the archive itself has nothing new in it.

My other point was about back level versions of device drivers being made available for download via
DD Pak On line...

For some reason, I was under the impression DD Pak Online was at least as uptodate as the the latest FixPak or  Convenience
Pack. This does not appear to be the case although I have no way of knowing for sure. As far as the Crystal Sound drivers are
concerned, the ones on IBM's DD site are two years older than on Crystal's Web Site. How do I tell whether MCP includes the
latest Crystal drivers? And if it does, then why aren't the ones available via DD Pak Online uptodate?

--
John

Why, oh why, oh why do we have to suffer this from IBM?

Post by Al Sava » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 12:56:51

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001 22:06:12, "William L. Hartzell"

> Look here to elevate your * pressure some more:
> <ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/os2_ews/>  April of 2000?

Yes.  Complete & utter bullshit.  Someone probably ftp-transferred the
files from one dir to another, losing the timestamp info, and thereby
making it impossible to discern the vintage of the EWS package(s).

--
Regards,
Al S.

* Hillman & Rootes Group manuals online: http://www.veryComputer.com/
* Ford Falcon manuals online:                  http://www.veryComputer.com/
This OS/2 system ("Tori", W4 FP15) uptime is 6 days 20:58 hours

1. oh why oh why did everyone recommed WARP!

*I am posting this here as well as os2 set-up because I hope some of you advocates are also OS/2 gurus and can help me*

I posted a message a while ago about being afraid to get warp due to all the install woes in return I got lots of email telling
me not to worry, its ONLY a few that have install nightmares. Well guess what Warp will not install. IBM has upgraded my
install problem class from low level to critical to todays new class which IBM calls  "there level 2 people".
 I am wishing I had just waited for chicago WARP is a headache in a box, I can only hope that you OS2 advocates can help me,
 so I can see what OS2 can do for me, but alas Warp outright refuses to install. Below is a much detail as I can give on my problem.
****=Major cause of warp headache
System
Gateway2000 P5-60,60mzh Pentium, 8meg ram,2 WDC Hard drives 404/514MB jumpered together connected to a PCI HD connector,
**1 NEC CDR-260 IDE CD ROM connected to a ISA HD connector***, DOS 6.2,AMI BIOS 03.AF2 not AF1,WFW31,ATI Mach32 graphics card
,Gateway SB compt sound card,Gateway telepath II modem,3.5 floopy disk drive.
Problem
WARP outright refuses to accept there is a CDROM installed, which is tuff because WARP is on CD. I have tried everything got the new
apati drivers from IBM BBS,edit the config.sys on warps floopy disk 1 like the FAQ at the warp pharmacy told me to do. installed new CD
ROM drivers,looked for loss cables, used my windows CDs to make sure its not the hardware Nothing! Nothing!
 Warp access my CD-ROM during the install for 3 mins then says "you have no CD-ROM" Look I am happy for those of you who emailed
me when I was thinking of getting warp and said it will be fine, but what you forgot to tell me was if WARP does not like one hardware
on your system your in WARP hell, Please warp advocates show the same gusto you did in reccomending WARP to me now that
warp outright refuses to even install itself. If you now ANYTHING at all about warp and cd-roms please help me

2. JOB: GIS Executive - CA

3. why oh why did everyone recommed warp!

4. Question - Pipelined Schedules

5. Ultimail Email address wrong WHY WHY WHY

6. MacPuke

7. Why buy an IBM PPC/Why OS/2 for PPC ?

8. r3000 (405h_iop) not booting

9. USELESS F****** Warp Connect...WHY IBM? Why?

10. OS/2 Fixes - Oh where Oh where has my OS2KRNL gone

11. Oh where, oh where has my memory gone?

12. Oh!Oh! :(

13. Why oh why ... Does anybody know what this means?