Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by akenn.. » Fri, 16 Dec 1994 23:28:53

I'm happily running OS/2 2.11 but wanted to get a copy of Warp for xmas.
CompUSA can't keep a copy of the cd-rom version in the store long enough
for me to get there.( No reserve policy!) So I kept calling Babbages they
finally said the cd-rom version of warp is in such demand that headquarters
infomed them that Warp cd-rom version won't be available until AFTER xmas!

So ... I called another Win-only shop out of desperation. They said they've
had so many calls for warp that it's on order. Sounds like IBM underestimated
AGAIN. Or is this some marketing poly to make it semm like Warp is selling?

Either way I'm back to my original plan ... waiting for Cairo. ;->
--

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by Paul Hostetl » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 00:47:19

[note about not finding OS/2 Warp for sale due to demand deleted]
Have you tried mail order? You should be able to get it next day
air for a good price.
--

Post by t.. » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 05:00:01

>I'm happily running OS/2 2.11 but wanted to get a copy of Warp for xmas.
>CompUSA can't keep a copy of the cd-rom version in the store long enough
>for me to get there.( No reserve policy!) So I kept calling Babbages they
>finally said the cd-rom version of warp is in such demand that headquarters
>infomed them that Warp cd-rom version won't be available until AFTER xmas!

>So ... I called another Win-only shop out of desperation. They said they've
>had so many calls for warp that it's on order. Sounds like IBM underestimated
>AGAIN. Or is this some marketing poly to make it semm like Warp is selling?

>Either way I'm back to my original plan ... waiting for Cairo. ;->
>--

What a * thought.  How much IBM has to pay all these retail stores to pretend
that Warp is selling?

About waiting for Cairo, good luck.

Jay F. Tu
School of Industrial Engineering
Purdue University
West Lafayette,  IN 47906

Happily running Warp!

Post by Robert D. Wilke » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 13:16:46

>What a * thought.  How much IBM has to pay all these retail stores to pretend
>that Warp is selling?

Yeah-huh.. I'm sure of it.

Think about the amount of money IBM would loose if they had such a
thing.  The sales people are not going out and telling people warp is
selling out.  The sales people are only telling people who ALREADY want
to buy warp (and hence they're asking for it) that they'll have to wait.
If anything, that would COST Ibm more money than anything, esp. since
IBM wanted to concentrate in the retail area rather than mail order with
warp to the best of my understanding.

-Rob
--
Rob Wilkens
Windows 95: "The Mother of All DOS Extenders"

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by greg.. » Sat, 17 Dec 1994 11:57:41

Have you tried mail order?  Indelible Blue usually has everything and if its
not in stock, it's usually faster than local stores.  1-800-776-8284.  And
they're usually also less expensive.  Or you could even call IBM.

Post by jb.. » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 12:55:37

>>What a * thought.  How much IBM has to pay all these retail stores to pretend
>>that Warp is selling?

>We'll know soon. The next issue of PC Magazine will have its top 10 sales
>chart that should reflect the first week of Warp's shiping. Not sure
>how much data will be there. May have to wait another two weeks to see
>how solid the show.

No need to wait on out of date, partial data.  Those figures will not reflect any
shipments direct from IBM to retail sites, and back in late November IBM told
me they had already made drop shipments of Warp to over 200 stores around the
country because the wholesalers had wholly miscalculated demand and had none
in the channel for them.

A rough estimate shows Warp outselling Windows by a 2-to-1 clip.  This is
based on sales per month of 400K (20% of 2,000,000) for Windows and about
1,000,000 per month for Warp.

Two to one, Greg.

|===================================================================|

|  Fidonet:    1:382/46.0       |   the surrealists is that I am a  |
|  CIS:        74000,3527       |   surrealist."     Salvador Dali  |
|===================================================================|

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by Greg Kuda » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 10:31:21

Quote:>What a * thought.  How much IBM has to pay all these retail stores to pretend
>that Warp is selling?

We'll know soon. The next issue of PC Magazine will have its top 10 sales
chart that should reflect the first week of Warp's shiping. Not sure
how much data will be there. May have to wait another two weeks to see
how solid the show.

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by rf.. » Mon, 19 Dec 1994 14:12:30

The Landmark CompUSA in N. VA. now has lots of Warp on hand at least some
of them are CDROM. Computer City near Tysons Corner has some and is selling
it for $70. versus $75 at CompUSA and Egghead.

Post by Rick DeB » Sun, 18 Dec 1994 03:33:59

>I'm happily running OS/2 2.11 but wanted to get a copy of Warp for xmas.
>CompUSA can't keep a copy of the cd-rom version in the store long enough
>for me to get there.( No reserve policy!) So I kept calling Babbages they
>finally said the cd-rom version of warp is in such demand that headquarters
>infomed them that Warp cd-rom version won't be available until AFTER xmas!

>So ... I called another Win-only shop out of desperation. They said they've
>had so many calls for warp that it's on order. Sounds like IBM underestimated
>AGAIN. Or is this some marketing poly to make it semm like Warp is selling?

Sales have more than doubled original expectations.  What hurt was
the delay caused by recalling (hello, Intel, are you paying attention?)
the boxes and reissuing them.  I'd guess one to two weeks were lost.

--
Rick DeBay - CSC contractor at IBM * "Life is like a box of chocolates.
I do not speak for IBM or CSC      *  It's overpriced, and most of the

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by Greg Kuda » Tue, 20 Dec 1994 15:11:38

Quote:>No need to wait on out of date, partial data.  Those figures will not reflect any
>shipments direct from IBM to retail sites, and back in late November IBM told
>me they had already made drop shipments of Warp to over 200 stores around the
>country because the wholesalers had wholly miscalculated demand and had none
>in the channel for them.

Is this suppose to be an arguement? All vendors sell through direct to
dealers at different times. 200 stores is nothing and since everyone
plays by similar rules the chart should be an accurate forecast on
what is happening in the real world.

Personally, I think Warp will do very well and place in the top 5 or even
#1. If it doesn't then there is some serious problems with the reports
we've seen ehre and elsewhere.

Quote:>A rough estimate shows Warp outselling Windows by a 2-to-1 clip.  This is
>based on sales per month of 400K (20% of 2,000,000) for Windows and about
>1,000,000 per month for Warp.

1 million per month? I'd like to see that press release. Windows sales
should start ramping down as we come closer to Windows 95 ship.

Personally, I think Windows for Workgroups could be doing a lot better
if it was marketted differently.

Quote:>Two to one, Greg.

I question your 1 million figure Joe. Only because I haven't seen IBM
state that number. If you have a press release please share.

(Apparently our service provider ran out of HD space this weekend and
didn't fix until Sunday night. If you are expecting a reply from me
but didn't get one please send e-mail)

:------------------------------------------------------------------------:
:       Any opinions above are mine and not those of Microsoft Corp.     :
=  Greg Kudasz, Sysop - Precision BBS   C*te NC USA  Fido: 1:379/26 =
=                                                                        =
=        (704) 544-0067 28.8K          (704) 544-0830 14.4K              =
=         V.34 V.FC 16.8K HST                V.32 V.32bis                =
=                                                                        =

Post by Joseph Coughl » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 13:15:57

>I'm happily running OS/2 2.11 but wanted to get a copy of Warp for xmas.
>CompUSA can't keep a copy of the cd-rom version in the store long enough
>for me to get there.( No reserve policy!) So I kept calling Babbages they
>finally said the cd-rom version of warp is in such demand that headquarters
>infomed them that Warp cd-rom version won't be available until AFTER xmas!

Dale Ross Insists that WARP is not selling in his home town so let's
all ask Dale to buy WARP and charge a service fee to see it to portions
of the country that are running short.

--
"IBM should stop warp, work on OS/2-PPC, and hope to make a splash when
they have the chance."  RSR commenting that IBM has a better chance

Post by Andrew Velia » Wed, 21 Dec 1994 01:50:31

: I'm happily running OS/2 2.11 but wanted to get a copy of Warp for xmas.
: CompUSA can't keep a copy of the cd-rom version in the store long enough
: for me to get there.( No reserve policy!) So I kept calling Babbages they
: finally said the cd-rom version of warp is in such demand that headquarters
: infomed them that Warp cd-rom version won't be available until AFTER xmas!

: So ... I called another Win-only shop out of desperation. They said they've
: had so many calls for warp that it's on order. Sounds like IBM underestimated
: AGAIN. Or is this some marketing poly to make it semm like Warp is selling?

Babbage's is a decent store, but in this one I don't know where they are
coming from.  I went in three weeks consecutively and they said they said
they didn't have the cd-rom version yet (they had about 3 copies of 3.5"
[duh])--finally they told me to got to Electronics Botique--I said I'd
rather not, but in the end they had about 10 copies of warp on cd so I
just bought it there!

Regards,
Drew

Post by Joseph Coughl » Fri, 23 Dec 1994 03:40:14

>But that was at the beginning. Dale has some interesting ways to verify his
>data but I think its best not to make those methods made public.

Sure. No need to explain how you derive data.
Unfortunately if you don't explain you don't have credibility.
If you post in a public forum you'll be accountable.  It's the law.

Quote:>As far as CompUSA goes it amazed me how many copies of all versions of 2.1
>they have. Many with "NEW!" on them next to the "NEW!" Warp boxes. I think they
>could do a better job moving the OS/2 for Windows with $50 coupons since they
>are selling for $25. Perhaps its a marketing issue but new customers should
>buy the 2.1 for Windows if they don't have Warp already. The question is,
>why aren't they?

I think the rebate plan is complex and most people are not finding a
$79 price tag too expensive considering the price of a video game.

Quote:>There are many potential explainations including the simple fact that the South
>may be smarter than the rest of the country and they snapped up all the
>Warp they could and are able to stock better while the rest of the US suffers.

Yes, that is it.  The south is smarter.  Traditionally the south has
been the more enlightened and creative segment of the USA.  Of course
in the backwards Santa Clara Valley, WARP is selling and very popular.
We just are behind the South. (sarcasm).

We have too many programers and computer literate people in the Santa
Clara valley for MS BS to stick very long.  MS has just about run of of
credibility in this Valley.  You guys would not last in this more
competitive and diverse computing environment.  Stay in the South.

Quote:>I don't know but would be happy to post phone numbers for the three chains that
>are carrying the product if you'd like to give them a call to verify how
>many copies are in stock.

I perfer to let the professionals tell us about WARP shipments.  The
Dale-Greg survey is utter nonsense.  Who would listen to two MS
advocates tell us about WARP sales?  Go back to your BETA's.
--
Send mail to Dale Ross and ask him to stop advocating WIN95 in OS/2 advocacy.
Keep the newsgroup focused on WARP and OS/2.

Post by Bill OConn » Fri, 23 Dec 1994 06:16:37

>The Landmark CompUSA in N. VA. now has lots of Warp on hand at least some
>some of them are CDROM. Computer City near Tysons Corner has some and is
>is selling it for $70. versus $75 at CompUSA and Egghead.

I have had some telling me they were getting it for $55.00 US at CompUSA.

Bill Oconnor

Local Babbages: No Warp 'til AFTER xmas!

Post by Greg Kuda » Thu, 22 Dec 1994 13:48:43

Quote:>Dale Ross Insists that WARP is not selling in his home town so let's
>all ask Dale to buy WARP and charge a service fee to see it to portions
>of the country that are running short.

It sold out the initial CD-ROM shipments. I know. I bought the last copy.

[...]

1. The PowerPC isn't done 'till NT won't run.

    Marty> IBM should apply this to their PowerPC machines.  Ensure the
    Marty> underlying hardware won't run the competitor's OS.

I'm sure you'll get a lot of sympathy on this one.

Learn how to be a consumer.

    Marty>   MF {Team OS/2 - student - skiier - snow cyclist}

More like Team-IBM.

Ted
--

Osiris System Manager                       Harvey Mudd College

2. Some Drag & Drop questions (Desktop and OpenGL)

3. Guess what's #2 at Babbage's?

4. busytime does not get updated when making reservation

5. Local Warp Peer and Win'95 cannot see Win'95 machines across WAN

6. BT ADSL Connection

7. Babbage's (was got 2.1 on 3.5 disks for $99 - rebate.)

8. ------------Basic telco wiring color code----------------

9. Q: Buy Warp (3.0) now or wait till Warp 3.1 ...

10. OS/2 at Babbage's in VA

11. Babbage's to carry OS/2 upgrade

12. Microsoft big Xmas surprise...it's not Chicago

13. Comm Port Doesn't Work till 2nd Try