(old) icons lost association with icon editor

(old) icons lost association with icon editor

Post by Erik van Linst » Sun, 24 Jan 1993 20:48:16

It appears that my icons lost their association with the icon editor
since I unarj'ed them. I realise that makes them loose the EA's
but I rather thought the associoation was kept by the system.
Anyone know of an easy way to reassociate them in one go?

Erik

(old) icons lost association with icon editor

Post by Erik van Linst » Mon, 25 Jan 1993 19:23:21

Quote:>It appears that my icons lost their association with the icon editor
>since I unarj'ed them. I realise that makes them loose the EA's
>but I rather thought the associoation was kept by the system.
>Anyone know of an easy way to reassociate them in one go?

Well, I solved this using eautil, though it was rather cumbersome.
eautil seems to delete the EA file when you attach it to a file,
so I had to keep a backup and copy that to another file, which
I then could attach to the icon.
I did have to reboot though before the new ea's were recognised.
This, I think is related to the fact that the cache wasn't properly
refreshed. I noticed this when I was changing icons of some objects
and in between added icons to the dir where I keep my icons. The new
icons didn't show up in the list of icons found by the search program.
I could tell this even before the list showed up, since the response
was as fast as it always is after the first time.

Erik
--
Erik van Linstee   |   Delft University of Technology   |   I'll be back ...
----

Post by Kevin Gallagh » Wed, 27 Jan 1993 03:44:05

Quote:>It appears that my icons lost their association with the icon editor
>since I unarj'ed them. I realise that makes them loose the EA's
>but I rather thought the associoation was kept by the system.
>Anyone know of an easy way to reassociate them in one go?

I believe you must be running the 2.1 Beta.  You are probably trying to change
an icon.  After specifying the path where to find the icon file, you press
FIND and OS/2 reports it cannot find any icons in the directory specified.

The 2.0 Beta (which came out after the 2.0 GA release) did not have this
problem.  It located the exact same icon files (without the EA's) and
displayed all the icons in the directory.

The problem is with the FIND selection, not the Icon Editor.  If you bring up
the icon editor and set the directory to the place where your icons reside, it
will display them all and will successfully load any of them into the editor.

If you then immediately save the image back to disk unmodified, the EA's will
be attached to the stored image and the FIND selection, when changing an icon,
will now find the icon.

This is a workaround that will allow you to replace those awful OS/2 icons
with the few you wish to use.  But if you have hundreds of icons saved away, I
do not know how to invoke the icon editor in batch mode to load and save all
the files automatically.  Perhaps someone else can help us.

DSC Communications Corporation   Addr: MS 152, 1000 Coit Rd, Plano, TX 75075

1. Icon Editing/Association (close to Attatching Icons)

How does one attatch the OS/2 type "Icon" to a bunch of icons?  I know that
the .ICO extension can be ASSOCIATED with the icon editor, but I still
cannot edit most of the icons that I have with the Icon Editor.  What gives?
Must they be in some special format for OS/2 to read (like a resource or
something) and is there something to attach such a resource?
--
    Erik Kovach      | I guess there's an advantage to being alone.  I still
Kusch Mental Hospital| get to use form 1040EZ.

2. Best way to allow other systems access on a lan

3. WARP ICONS & ICON EDITOR

4. Internal compiler error

5. Can't break Icon Editor's *.BMP association

6. Bitsurfer Pro and stutter dial tone?

7. Icon Editor to put text in icons

8. configure for Solaris2.5

9. Which icon types to use in Icon Editor?

10. How do I load icons from Icon Editor?

11. losing resolutions, no-go w/archived d-top, losing icons +more

12. convert OS/2 icons to windows icons?

13. Drive Icon - open as Icons? How-To?