simple z-order util?

Post by David Sutherla » Sat, 20 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a simple util that will let me click on the title bar of a
window with the right mouse button to send it the back of all other windows?  I
know that Taskbar let's you configure this, but it provides a lot more features
than I want or need (memory is tight).  I'm running NPSWPS, and it offers this
as well but only if you hold down ctrl and shift together, not exactly
convenient.

Thanks for your help,
David Sutherland,

simple z-order util?

Post by Anssi Saa » Tue, 23 Apr 1996 04:00:00

:>Hi all,
:>
:>Does anyone know of a simple util that will let me click on the title bar of a
:>window with the right mouse button to send it the back of all other windows?  I
:>know that Taskbar let's you configure this, but it provides a lot more features
:>than I want or need (memory is tight).  I'm running NPSWPS, and it offers this
:>as well but only if you hold down ctrl and shift together, not exactly
:>convenient.

But NPSWPS is fully configurable. I use alt+lmb to bring windows up in alt+rmb
to send them down.

--

simple z-order util?

Post by Peter Moyl » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>Does anyone know of a simple util that will let me click on the title bar of a
>window with the right mouse button to send it the back of all other windows?  I
>know that Taskbar let's you configure this, but it provides a lot more features
>than I want or need (memory is tight).  I'm running NPSWPS, and it offers this
>as well but only if you hold down ctrl and shift together, not exactly
>convenient.

Program Commander/2 (freeware: pc2v190.zip) gives you this feature.
It's not exactly a minimal solution, because the z-order change
is just a minor part of the total PC/2 package; but from memory
PC/2 is a good deal smaller than TaskBar.  In any case, if memory
is tight you could even use PC/2 as a space-saving substitute for
the WPS.  It's a program I'm very happy with.

--

                  http://www.eng.newcastle.edu.au/ee/Moylan.html
OS/2 freeware list at

simple z-order util?

Post by Robert Mahon » Wed, 24 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>:>Does anyone know of a simple util that will let me click on the title bar of a
>:>window with the right mouse button to send it the back of all other windows?  I

  Winback, available at my web site below, pushes the window below all others
when you double-RMB on the titlebar.  Also comes with source.  Can be run from
it's own EXE (so you can kill it) or installed in the INI files so it runs when you
boot up.

  Only known incompatibility is with Object Desktop where a double-RMB brings up
the settings of an object (and cannot be turned off).  Although a simple change
to Winback would prevent this (don't pass the message down the chain).

Robert Mahoney                    Have trouble spelling?
2Rud Software                     Check out SpellGuard
and                                An as-you-type spell checker
Consulting                              Now at v1.1 !!!
         http://www.netusa.net/~rmahoney/

simple z-order util?

Post by Cary Renqui » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: :>Hi all,
: :>
: :>Does anyone know of a simple util that will let me click on the title bar of a
: :>window with the right mouse button to send it the back of all other windows?  I
: :>know that Taskbar let's you configure this, but it provides a lot more features
: :>than I want or need (memory is tight).  I'm running NPSWPS, and it offers this
: :>as well but only if you hold down ctrl and shift together, not exactly
: :>convenient.

Try Xfeel it is located at the Hobbes site in the /os2/unix directory
feelX is also very good but is a bit larger.

Cary

simple z-order util?

Post by David Sutherla » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

(Joseph Christie)Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:54:06 GMT writes:

Quote:

>According to the NPSWPS docs (RTFM?) just place the mouse pointer and select
>any key-mb combination and press them, poof, that's your new combination.

Yeah, but being excessively lazy I don't want to have to use the keyboard at
all.  Taskbar does this, and does it well (single right-click).  But having
installed OD (not without problems), I now want to minimise the memory
footprint of other destop-extending apps.

Maybe OD 1.5 (please)?

David Sutherland,

simple z-order util?

Post by David Sutherla » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Mahoney)23 Apr 1996 23:48:43 GMT writes:

Quote:>  Only known incompatibility is with Object Desktop where a double-RMB brings up
>the settings of an object (and cannot be turned off).  Although a simple change
>to Winback would prevent this (don't pass the message down the chain).

Yep, someone already suggested this to me (winback) and it does work.  But
guess what?  I've installed OD so I keep getting the settings notebook.  The
reason I'm looking for this util is because having installed OD I don't need
all the features of Taskbar, which I was using previously, but Taskbar does
have a very nice single-right-click to back feature.  I  like the simplicity -
no keyboard required.
If anyone uses X-windows with Motif or fvwm will agree, it is nice just to go
'click' and send that window to the bottom of the pile!

Still searching, but thanks very much for the suggestions!

simple z-order util?

Post by Oliver Chu » Sun, 28 Apr 1996 04:00:00

simple z-order util?

Post by Jim Litt » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>(Joseph Christie)Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:54:06 GMT writes:
>>According to the NPSWPS docs (RTFM?) just place the mouse pointer and select
>>any key-mb combination and press them, poof, that's your new combination.

>Yeah, but being excessively lazy I don't want to have to use the keyboard at
>all.  [...]

You don't have to.  Just click without pressing a key.  I use the middle
mouse button as "push to back" button.

simple z-order util?

Post by Marty Kazmai » Tue, 30 Apr 1996 04:00:00

>>(Joseph Christie)Tue, 23 Apr 1996 22:54:06 GMT writes:

>>>According to the NPSWPS docs (RTFM?) just place the mouse pointer and select
>>>any key-mb combination and press them, poof, that's your new combination.

>>Yeah, but being excessively lazy I don't want to have to use the keyboard at
>>all.  [...]

>You don't have to.  Just click without pressing a key.  I use the middle
>mouse button as "push to back" button.

I've been doing the same for a long time now.  Anyone can double click, lowering
z level is a bit more useful.

--

KSC & BSC                                                         Hail Goddess!            FNORD!
"Communication is only possible between equals." --  Hagbard Celine

simple z-order util?

Post by sa.. » Fri, 03 May 1996 04:00:00

[stuff deleted]

Quote:>Still searching, but thanks very much for the suggestions!

The best thing that I've found is FM/2's Ftaskbar.  It has a number of interesting mouse options, expecially if you have a three button mouse.  It allows you to push a window to the bottom of the pile with a single MB2 click and it will close most any window or program with a single MB3 click anywhere on the titlebar.  A single MB3 click can also be set (at the same time) to perform a MB1 double-click on icons, items in a listbox, etc. - anywhere else other than a titlebar.  And Ftaskbar (not to be confused with Rich Yoder's Taskbar) also offers multiple desktops, icons for running programs and open folders, Alt-tab like switching between programs (except that  you can go backwards as well as forward through them and you get to see the next and previous items as well as the current one), clock, and other options.  If you have

______________
  Martin S. Hanoian

1. Z-Order Annoyance

Lately I have been experienceing a rather annoying problem with
z-order switching when I open a program.  For instance, if I have
aprogram like PM Mail or Netscape open, and open a command window, or
someting else, the program I just started positions itself in the
correct z-order position, on top of all others.  As soon as I move the
mouse it switches back one level and the program which was previously
running is now on top.

This also causes problems because if I want to use the warpcenter to
launch a program, as soon as I move up the column to select a program,
it immediatly disappears.

This annoyine problem started small, then gradually progressed so that
it happens every time I open a new program.  I uninstalled xfolder,
and that cured the problem for a few hours, then it began again.  I
tried reinstalling then uninstallin xfolder again, no luck.  Tried
turning on focus changing with npswps and then hoping that woudl help,
no luck either.  I am running out of ideas on what I can do to fix
this problem.  I moved from FP8 to FP10 and that did not help.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I may try to remidy this
annoyance?

Thank you.

RyanShawgo

2. WTB: Monitor for a1200