OS/2 2.1 will have a DOS & OS/2 upgrade, but NO Windows upgrade!

OS/2 2.1 will have a DOS & OS/2 upgrade, but NO Windows upgrade!

Post by Mohit K. Goy » Sat, 22 May 1993 15:30:55

The upgrade version of OS/2 2.1 (has a sniffer program on the first disk
that makes sure you have a OS (DOS or OS/2) installed on the hard drive
the *first* time you try to install 2.1, subsequent installs can be on
blank hard drives) is available for DOS & OS/2 users.

Windows users get no special pricing.

Floppy:
$109 list price, OS/2 users get a $30 rebate

CDROM:
$89 list price, OS/2 users get a $30 rebate

If you order direct from IBM, you pay the list price, plus shipping, and
maybe tax(depending on state), and IBM won't *start* shipping until June
14th.

The other option is this:
On June 14th, OS/2 2.1 will be available everywhere.  You can expect stores
to sell the upgrades for less than the list price(obviously).
You also get your copy right then.

Here is how it works out for me: (2.0 user)

from IBM - $76(incl. rebate) & the earliest I can expect it is June 15th.
(who knows what the latest is!)

from a store - $65(incl. rebate)  That is if the store offers *no* discount
on the $89 list price.  I also get my copy right then.

I'm fairly certain that these are the scenarios IBM wants...

OS/2 2.1 will have a DOS & OS/2 upgrade, but NO Windows upgrade!

Post by Brett Ferre » Sun, 23 May 1993 23:00:55

Quote:>The upgrade version of OS/2 2.1 (has a sniffer program on the first disk
>that makes sure you have a OS (DOS or OS/2) installed on the hard drive
>the *first* time you try to install 2.1, subsequent installs can be on
>blank hard drives) is available for DOS & OS/2 users.

>Windows users get no special pricing.

Window users ARE dos users, so........(NOT the os, NOT the os, or is that mommy)

*------------------------------------------------------------------------------*
*        Obligatory Wife Portion of Sig-"I love you sweetie!"                  *
* "Sometime you want to go where everyone knows your name, and they're always  *
*  glad you came..You want to be were you can see troubles are all the same    *
*  -you want to where everyone knows your name.........."  So Long _CHEERS_    *

Post by D Hos » Mon, 24 May 1993 09:59:32

Quote:>The upgrade version of OS/2 2.1 (has a sniffer program on the first disk
>that makes sure you have a OS (DOS or OS/2) installed on the hard drive
>the *first* time you try to install 2.1, subsequent installs can be on
>blank hard drives) is available for DOS & OS/2 users.
>Floppy:
>$109 list price, OS/2 users get a $30 rebate
>$89 list price, OS/2 users get a $30 rebate
>If you order direct from IBM, you pay the list price, plus shipping, and
>maybe tax(depending on state), and IBM won't *start* shipping until June
>14th.
>The other option is this:
>On June 14th, OS/2 2.1 will be available everywhere.  You can expect stores
>to sell the upgrades for less than the list price(obviously).
>You also get your copy right then.

Actually, it will be available _before_ June 14th from  some outlets.

Do _not_ order from IBM, you'll pay more, you'll wait longer. I will
pay a total of $113 (incl rebate, shipping) for a CD copy (upgrade)
and extra license (non-upgrade) from Indelible Blue Inc. They have been
lead to believe that they might have copies to ship before 6/14. Even
if not, they've been promised adequate copies tthat I can expect to see
it before the end of June. How exciting.

-dh

1. ANSWER: Price of OS/2 2.1 Upgrade from DOS

I just called the order center and specifically asked about
upgrades from DOS.  I was told "$110 for floppies, $90 for CD-ROM".
I specifically asked if this was for an upgrade from any version
of DOS, and he said "yes".  So, it appears that you do NOT need to
have OS/2 2.0 in order to qualify for the upgrade price.  It also
appears that rumors of the upgrade using files from 2.0GA may not
be correct, unless they have a different package for DOS upgrades
(doesn't seem likely IMHO).

This also helps to explain the reason for the $30 rebate, as I'm
sure the rebate is only for owners of OS/2 2.0.  This would allow
them to use the same upgrade package for DOS and OS/2 2.0.

Disclaimer:  I've been given inaccurate information from these guys
in the past, but given that the announcement mentions upgrades from
DOS, I tend to believe this.
--

"Don't worry, I just have these harmless pocket rockets...."

2. Quickbooks to Money 2004 Business

3. OS/2 2.1 & BIOS/processor upgrade problem

4. US-AutoCad Drafter

5. Speedstar Pro Drivers for OS/2 2.1 upgrade for windows

6. Plextor 12/20 and DAE

7. Should I upgrade from OS/2 2.0 to OS/2 2.1?

8. OS/2 2.1 Upgrade to OS/2 Warp

9. OS/2 Version 2.0 GA, $49 upgrade from windows, $99 from DOS

10. DOS boot diskette Image files -- 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

11. Upgrade from Windows/DOS to os 2.0