Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by Mark Hoo » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue
downloading credit card transactions from Quicken Credit Card issued by
Travelers Bank I would have to upgrade to Quicken 2000 Deluxe by November
15.  Quicken 98 is the last 16-bit version of Quicken, so it is the last
version that will run in Win-OS2.

I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

I'd hate to either stop using my credit union or have to boot a Windows OS.
I'm hoping that if there are any others in my situation and they communicate
their concerns to Intuit we may be able to get a patch from them, but if I'm
alone with this problem I guess I'll have to deal with it somehow.

Anybody else in this boat?

-- Mark Hood

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by tvolt.. » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I'm also in the same boat.  I was running Quicken 6 and got the message
from Mellon Bank here in Philadelphia.  Mellon said, however, that it was
only discontinuing the use of Quicken 5 and 6.  They said that Quicken 98
was acceptable, as long as the Y2K patch was used.  I checked with the
Intuit website and they had patches for Quicken 98.  I'm in the process
of looking for a copy of Quicken 98 to use.  Does anyone know of where to get
a cheap copy?

Quote:>Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue

Post by a.. » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue
>downloading credit card transactions from Quicken Credit Card issued by

I haven't tried to handle credit card stuff via quicken, since I haven't
even been able to download stock prices.  The latest error message is
"cannot find winsock.dll."

I also just picked up the setup.bat and revision 2 patch.exe for Quicken
98.  Is that for Quicken 98 Deluxe, and, if so, do you know how to install
it and if it's the latest revision?

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by Larry Futre » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

says...
Quote:> I'm in the process
> of looking for a copy of Quicken 98 to use.  Does anyone know of where to get
> a cheap copy?

How about a free copy?  If you own an earlier version of Quicken you can
download Quicken 98 for free, or get a CD or floppys for a shipping and
handling charge.  Go to

http://www.intuit.com/corporate/year2000/quicken/qwin.html

Larry Futrell

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by Jasper de Keijze » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Mark,

You can advice them to compile and link the windows code on OS/2 Warp 4.0. As
you probably know OS/2 supports the windows API. Many products like, Acrabat
reader, Lotus office suit, Netscape etc are based on this. This should not take
too much of an effort, especially not when they still use the 16bit api.

Kind regards,
Jasper de Keijzer.
http://home-5.worldonline.nl/~jdekeij

> Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue
> downloading credit card transactions from Quicken Credit Card issued by
> Travelers Bank I would have to upgrade to Quicken 2000 Deluxe by November
> 15.  Quicken 98 is the last 16-bit version of Quicken, so it is the last
> version that will run in Win-OS2.

> I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
> will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
> their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
> available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
> like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
> boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

> I'd hate to either stop using my credit union or have to boot a Windows OS.
> I'm hoping that if there are any others in my situation and they communicate
> their concerns to Intuit we may be able to get a patch from them, but if I'm
> alone with this problem I guess I'll have to deal with it somehow.

> Anybody else in this boat?

> -- Mark Hood

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by Douglas Houc » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

The latest error message is
"cannot find winsock.dll."

Be sure you have the SET ETC=x:\tcpip\dos\etc
and the location of tcpip\dos\bin in your PATH
statement in your AUTOEXEC.BAT file.  There are a
number of similar statements needed in your
CONFIG.SYS files, but since you seem to be able to
get an IP address under OS2 I'm assuming that part
is working correctly.

I also just picked up the setup.bat and revision 2
patch.exe for Quicken
98.  Is that for Quicken 98 Deluxe, and, if so, do
you know how to install
it and if it's the latest revision?  j

I haven't used those two files, but it's makes no
difference if you have Deluxe or the regular Q98.
I got my files from within Q98 as described at the
Intuit site.

You need two files to update Q98.  They are:
Q98U1TO3.EXE            1,062,080
Q98U3TO4.EXE               260,032

I don't know why Intuit doesn't just give out the
files.  If you need them drop me a line and I will
attach them to an e-mail.

Post by ha.. » Sun, 14 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue
>downloading credit card transactions from Quicken Credit Card issued by
>Travelers Bank I would have to upgrade to Quicken 2000 Deluxe by November
>15.  Quicken 98 is the last 16-bit version of Quicken, so it is the last
>version that will run in Win-OS2.

>I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
>will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
>their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
>available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
>like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
>boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

as they say, money talks and something else walks -- if your current
bank won't go to the trouble to come up with a Win 3.1 program, then tell
them you'll leave and why. Obviously they don't want your business that badly.
Perhaps if enough people stand up for choice we'll get it. We certainly won't
get anything but a large reamer by doing whatever we're told. Bring out
the cattle cars, we're almost ready to go !

Quote:

--
h?rad ngravv?d

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by David D. Huff Jr » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I am also looking for an alternative to Quickbooks 5 which will I use for
payroll. They are refusing to make a patch for it and they going to make
available tax tables. I am currently looking at Peachtree First Accounting as an
alternative. If anyone else knows of a payroll package that runs on OS/2 for
under $200 let me know.
Thanks in advance

> Intuit has informed me through the mail that in order to continue
> downloading credit card transactions from Quicken Credit Card issued by
> Travelers Bank I would have to upgrade to Quicken 2000 Deluxe by November
> 15.  Quicken 98 is the last 16-bit version of Quicken, so it is the last
> version that will run in Win-OS2.

> I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
> will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
> their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
> available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
> like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
> boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

> I'd hate to either stop using my credit union or have to boot a Windows OS.
> I'm hoping that if there are any others in my situation and they communicate
> their concerns to Intuit we may be able to get a patch from them, but if I'm
> alone with this problem I guess I'll have to deal with it somehow.

> Anybody else in this boat?

> -- Mark Hood

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by a.. » Mon, 15 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>You need two files to update Q98.  They are:
>Q98U1TO3.EXE            1,062,080
>Q98U3TO4.EXE               260,032
>I don't know why Intuit doesn't just give out the
>files.  If you need them drop me a line and I will
>attach them to an e-mail.

I do need those.  I have updated my revision 1 of Quicken 98 Deluxe for
Windows 3.1 to revision 2 already, but apparently that's not updated
enough.  Please send them.  Thanks.

As you saw in my previous message, I'm still not connecting.

 *** Please remove .notspam from my address to reply via e-mail. ***

     Nerve Center BBS (Fidonet 1:261/1000)  410-655-4708

    Posted by Alan Hess using registered MR/2 ICE Newsreader #564

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by Jim Back » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:> I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
> will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
> their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
> available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
> like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
> boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

A UK subsidiary looking after its customers better than the American
parent? that must be a first!  I received a CD which included a Win
3.1 version of Quicken 98 with a covering letter explaining that the
Quicken 6 I run is not y2k compliant.

I haven't tried it yet - I'm going to get all my records up to date on
Q6 first and then do a couple of backups.

Suggest you other OS/2 ers chase up Quicken for your free updates.

Jim Backus  OS/2 user because it's better
bona fide replies to jimb(at)jita(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
http://www.jita.demon.co.uk

Post by Julian Domini » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> <snip>

> > I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
> > will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
> > their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
> > available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
> > like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
> > boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

> A UK subsidiary looking after its customers better than the American
> parent? that must be a first!  I received a CD which included a Win
> 3.1 version of Quicken 98 with a covering letter explaining that the
> Quicken 6 I run is not y2k compliant.

> I haven't tried it yet - I'm going to get all my records up to date on
> Q6 first and then do a couple of backups.

> Suggest you other OS/2 ers chase up Quicken for your free updates.

> Jim Backus  OS/2 user because it's better
> bona fide replies to jimb(at)jita(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
> http://www.jita.demon.co.uk

  I upgraded my hard drive and discovered that in moving from Chicago to Houston,
my Quicken 98 cd was broken.  When I called customer service for a new cd, I
learned that that they could ship me a Win3.1 version but that was not the default
and Win98 is the last Win3.1 version.  I now have a multi-boot machine so that I
can go to Windows and use Quicken and the more sophisticated web development
tools.

Quicken 98 to end Quicken Credit Card transaction downloads

Post by tvolt.. » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I put Quicken 98 on and can do everything EXCEPT online banking.  The
problem is that I'm behind a firewall and can't load secure websites.
I have a Warp machine peered to a win95 machine using Internet Gate.
Using Netscape for OS/2, I can do this, but using the 16 bit Netscape
4.04 or Internet Explorer 128 bit encryption browsers, I can not load secure
sites.  Has anyone solved this?

>> <snip>

>> > I've communicated with the support people and it seems unlikely that a patch
>> > will be issued for Quicken 98 to allow it to continue transactions with
>> > their new server, but they didn't rule it out.  If no patch will be
>> > available, it seems my options are to either get an account with a big bank
>> > like Wells Fargo that supports on-line banking directly with Quicken 98, or
>> > boot into a W32 OS for Quicken 2000.

>> A UK subsidiary looking after its customers better than the American
>> parent? that must be a first!  I received a CD which included a Win
>> 3.1 version of Quicken 98 with a covering letter explaining that the
>> Quicken 6 I run is not y2k compliant.

>> I haven't tried it yet - I'm going to get all my records up to date on
>> Q6 first and then do a couple of backups.

>> Suggest you other OS/2 ers chase up Quicken for your free updates.

>> Jim Backus  OS/2 user because it's better
>> bona fide replies to jimb(at)jita(dot)demon(dot)co(dot)uk
>> http://www.jita.demon.co.uk

>  I upgraded my hard drive and discovered that in moving from Chicago to Houston,
>my Quicken 98 cd was broken.  When I called customer service for a new cd, I
>learned that that they could ship me a Win3.1 version but that was not the default
>and Win98 is the last Win3.1 version.  I now have a multi-boot machine so that I
>can go to Windows and use Quicken and the more sophisticated web development
>tools.

1. Quicken 98 and alternatives

My current bill payment service, CheckFree, is discontinuing support of
their DOS software which I have been using with OS/2 for the past 10
years.  I am migrating to their WebPay service, but this does not provide
the check register I have worked with in the DOS software and the DOS
software does not support any sort of import so I am forced to migrate to
other software.

I have a copy of Quicken 98 for Windows, which was a Y2K upgrade for my
DOS version of Quicken that I had used prior to migrating to the CheckFree
for DOS product when Intuit discontinued support of the DOS product.  This
should be an acceptable package for what I need, but since installing and
starting to use it I am seeing strange ring 0 traps in the system.  If you
are interested in this see my post in the bugs area.

As a backup plan assuming that I cannot get anywhere in dealing with the
ring 0 traps that appear to be associated with Quicken 98 on my system I
am wondering what other alternatives are available for OS/2 that could
replace it.  I am aware of In Charge, but at $79US that is quite expensive
for personal use.  MoneyDance at $29US is a bit more reasonable, but if
there is a package even more reasonable available that will provide a
register with the ability to import .qif and .qfx files from my bank and
CheckFree's WebPay service it might serve my needs.

Are there any other packages I should be looking at?

-- Dave
dhdurgee<at>verizon<dot>net

2. Allow other users to edit Group Policy

3. Quicken 98 online update under OS/2

4. Zombie icons strike again!

5. Quicken 98 Internet Access under WinOS2

6. possible MyODBC problem

7. Quicken 98 & Printing under WARP

8. table query oscommerce

9. Quicken 98 under Win-OS2: The Answer

10. Quicken 98 - again <sigh>

11. Quicken 98 under os/2

12. cannot find winsock.dll - Quicken 98

13. Quicken 98