WINDOWS APPS COMPATIBILITY?

Post by Chris F » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 03:28:30

G'day! I MIGHT be switching to Warp from my current config of WFWG, but I
need to know how the following applications will run and if their are any
problems or tips:

Adobe Photoshop 3.0
CorelDraw! 4.0, 5.0
Delrin CommSuite (WinFax Pro, WinComm Pro 4.0)
Lotus 1-2-3 4.0
Microhelp Uninstaller2
Microsoft Office 4.3 (Word, Excel, & Powerpoint)
Norton Utilities 8.0 for DOS
PageMaker 5.0
PC Tools for DOS 9.0
PC Tools for Windows 2.0
ProComm for Windows 2.1
QEMM 7.5
QuarkXpress 3.3 for Windows
Stacker 4.0
Terminate 1.51
WordPerfect 6.0 for Windows

If you have ANY comments, suggestions or any experiences with thes
programs please reply. Any tips to 'tweak' their performance would be even
better...Thanx in advance

Chris...

Post by David R. Demm » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 23:57:08

>G'day! I MIGHT be switching to Warp from my current config of WFWG, but I
>need to know how the following applications will run and if their are any
>problems or tips:

>Adobe Photoshop 3.0
>CorelDraw! 4.0, 5.0                     OK
>Delrin CommSuite (WinFax Pro, WinComm Pro 4.0)
>Lotus 1-2-3 4.0
>Microhelp Uninstaller2
>Microsoft Office 4.3 (Word, Excel, & Powerpoint) Word & Excel OK, PP?
>Norton Utilities 8.0 for DOS
>PageMaker 5.0     OK (so I hear)
>PC Tools for DOS 9.0
>PC Tools for Windows 2.0
>ProComm for Windows 2.1  I hear it's OK - but it's junk compared to
ZOC
>QEMM 7.5
>QuarkXpress 3.3 for Windows     OK
>Stacker 4.0   You live dangerously. This will FU if you use it on OS/2

files since it won't handle the EAs
Quote:>Terminate 1.51
>WordPerfect 6.0 for Windows

>If you have ANY comments, suggestions or any experiences with thes
>programs please reply. Any tips to 'tweak' their performance would be even
>better...Thanx in advance

>Chris...

Personally, I would junk as many Windows programs as you can, esp. the
comm programs since this is where OS/2 multitasking really comes in
handy. DOS/Win will multitask, but they will not do so as well as native
ones.

Dept. of Chemistry
University of Toronto

"Confidence is the feeling you get just before you
realize that you don't understand the problem."

                              -- Unknown

WINDOWS APPS COMPATIBILITY?

Post by Jeff Willia » Mon, 20 Feb 1995 21:18:25

Quote:

>G'day! I MIGHT be switching to Warp from my current config of WFWG, but I
>need to know how the following applications will run and if their are any
>problems or tips:

>Microsoft Office 4.3 (Word, Excel, & Powerpoint)

Word is a bit funny.  Runs perfectly well in a Win-OS2 session, but when
running a full-screen Windows session, it thinks it's in a lower resolution
so all the icons and program generated text are much too small.  I posted
on here asking for a fix to this, but never got a response (I'd be happy to
entertain any ideas from anyone reading this now).  It's a bit slow in a
Win-OS2 session, which is why I try to run everything in a full-screen
Windows session.

Quote:>PC Tools for Windows 2.0

Most of this works fine, including the file manager, the most important thing.
You can even launch OS/2 programs from the PCTools for Windows file
manager, which means you could even use this as your OS/2 shell if you
wanted.  Some of the modules don't work at all.  System Consultant gives
a General Protection Fault.  I've also not tried to run Windows under OS/2
with the PCTools desktop on, out of fear.

Quote:>ProComm for Windows 2.1

Version 1 works perfectly fine, and text scrolling for my video card is actually
_much_ faster than in Windows (14.4k/sec actually looks like 14.4k/sec now!).
I don't know if v 2.1 added any features that don't work.

Quote:>QEMM 7.5

Definitely won't work.  OS/2 is not DOS.  OS/2 does not follow the 640k
conventional memory rule for itself, and when running DOS programs
it can control how much memory the program thinks is there.  So in effect,
OS/2 itself is a DOS memory manager, and a far better one than QEMM,
allowing you to set conventional memory (you can set it to other than
640k if you like), extended memory and expanded memory available to
any DOS session.  You can also control the DPMI memory limit.  All of these
can be different for each DOS program; you can be running 7 different
DOS programs at once, each of them thinking there is 640k of conventional
memory free.

Quote:>Stacker 4.0

No.  DOS disk compression doesn't work with OS/2; OS/2 will just see the
physical drive and the compressed drive as a file on it.  There is, however,
a Stacker for OS/2, and I've even heard there is now a Stacker for OS/2,
DOS, and Windows, although it might not quite be on the market yet.

Quote:>WordPerfect 6.0 for Windows

WordPerfect 6.1 runs perfectly in both Win-OS2 and full-screen Windows
sessions.  There is also a set of OS/2 tools that you can buy for a small fee
from Novell, though I don't know what they do (supposedly increase its
compatability somehow, in some way; they did this rather than rewrite the
program for native OS/2 mode).  When you run it under OS/2, WP detects
it and gives you a little dialogue box telling you how to get the disk.  You
can turn off the dialogue box if you don't want to bother.

//  Jeff Williams
//  NYU UGFTV/Cinema Studies

WINDOWS APPS COMPATIBILITY?

Post by phlos.. » Tue, 21 Feb 1995 04:22:13

Quote:

>G'day! I MIGHT be switching to Warp from my current config of WFWG, but I
>need to know how the following applications will run and if their are any
>problems or tips:

>Adobe Photoshop 3.0

This will not run under Warp right now.  IBM is supposed to be working on it, but
who knows when/if they will get a fix out.  PS 2.5 works fine, but it is hard to back
after seeing 3.0.  BTW, Painter 3.0, PhotoStyler 2.0, KPT, ... all work fine.

Quote:>CorelDraw! 4.0, 5.0

 Both work fine, including all the other Apps that come with these packages.

Quote:>Microhelp Uninstaller2

Works fine.

Quote:>Microsoft Office 4.3 (Word, Excel, & Powerpoint)

I have never had any trouble with Word at all.  I use it everyday.

Quote:>PageMaker 5.0

No problems here.

Quote:>Chris...

However, as a previous poster noted, whether or not these apps work you will
soon find that you do not need/want to use them.  My guess is that you will not
stick with OS/2 if you end up spending most of your time in a Full Screen
windows session using a Windows Desktop Program.

Once you really use Warp I don't see how you can go back.  When I have to use
Windows to run PhotoShop I can't stand it.  But I think many people never get
around to using Warp.  They install it, play with it for a few days, and go back
to Windows because it is different.

Steve

WINDOWS APPS COMPATIBILITY?

Post by Ni » Wed, 22 Feb 1995 11:49:54

.
.
.

: >Stacker 4.0   You live dangerously. This will FU if you use it on OS/2
: files since it won't handle the EAs

So switch to Stacker 4.0 / OS/2. That can handle EAs - or at least I
hope it can :)
.
.
.

Windows Terminal - aptly describes Windows in two words.
'Whoev'r it was, I've gotta blow up with a chaaaaainsaw' - 'Stuss'

1. :OS2 & Windows Apps Compatibility

Hi, all

I just bought some ne-2000 boards to install a peer-to-peer LAN in my company,
and initially I planned to use the OS/2 Warp aoperational system. But some
friends tell me that OS/2 has some compatibility problems with a couple of
Windows apps. They couldn't specify wich apps are those. Anyone in netland know
about that? Wich apps are incompatible? Why? OS/2 Warp is relble in network
environments?

Thanks in advance.

#===============================================#
# Fabio Ceconello                               #

#                                               #
# IS Integral Software Ltda.                    #
# Rua Presidente Coutinho, 311 sala 506         #
# 88015-230                                     #
# Florianopolis-SC Brasil                       #
#===============================================#

2. Warcraft II engine...

3. Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

4. Job postings ---- Administria: request for comments

5. Music apps compatibility

6. Defrag Question

7. Microsoft app compatibility list

8. IRIX Copies

9. Pasting from windows app to OS/2 app doesn't work!

10. Can't run windows apps in a window

11. Opening windows apps into a window vs. full screen

12. Why can't I run a windows app in a window at res > 640x480?

13. How to start a windowed windows app from os/2