Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sat, 23 Aug 2003 20:01:32



I've been using the latest version of PN/2 for quite a while now, and
have noticed the following sequence:

1)  I post a new note or a reply to one of my subscribed groups

2)  Send the note.

3)  Return to the same group, and try to read a new message, (article,
whatever), and PN/2 just locks up in that group and won't let me
continue.

I can go to a different group and things are completely normal, but
have to close and reopen PN/2 before I can go back to the group in
which I posted the note.

What am I missing?

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Doug Bisset » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 01:21:34


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:01:32 UTC, "Barbara"


> I've been using the latest version of PN/2 for quite a while now, and
> have noticed the following sequence:

> 1)  I post a new note or a reply to one of my subscribed groups

> 2)  Send the note.

> 3)  Return to the same group, and try to read a new message, (article,
> whatever), and PN/2 just locks up in that group and won't let me
> continue.

> I can go to a different group and things are completely normal, but
> have to close and reopen PN/2 before I can go back to the group in
> which I posted the note.

> What am I missing?

Good question...

I do the posting, and reading, thing all of the time, with no trouble.
That would mean that it is likely something on your system.

Start by going through ALL of the settings, to see if something
doesn't seem to be right.

If that doesn't work, try backing up your Pronews directory structure,
then reinstall PN/2 (it should retain all of your settings, and the
news groups etc.). Of course, if it is something that wasn't replaced,
you will still have the problem. In that case, you may want to
completely remove the whole Pronews directory, then start over (not
pretty, but...). Just try a couple of news groups, to see if the
problem is fixed, if not, you can get back to what you started with,
by restoring the original.

Don't know what else you can do...
--
From the eComStation 1.1 of Doug Bissett
doug dot bissett at attglobal dot net
(Please make the obvious changes, to e-mail me)

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 04:09:32


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:21:34 UTC, "Doug Bissett"


> Don't know what else you can do...

Thanks.  I'll work on this.  Right now it has me trained to just shut
it down after I post something.  When I start it back up, my new
message has been updated on the server, and all is OK.  

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 05:07:27


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:01:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"


> I've been using the latest version of PN/2 for quite a while now, and
> have noticed the following sequence:

> 1)  I post a new note or a reply to one of my subscribed groups

> 2)  Send the note.

> 3)  Return to the same group, and try to read a new message, (article,
> whatever), and PN/2 just locks up in that group and won't let me
> continue.

Do you have any limits set for the numbers of articles to handle? e.g.
Pronews/2 -> Settings... -> Group Defaults (Page 9 of 9) ->
"Automatically limit to X" or Group -> Group Settings -> Other ->
"Automatically limit to X"

Is it all groups that do this? Is it consistent? Has it always
happened?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 06:15:31


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:07:27 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"


> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:01:32 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"

> > I've been using the latest version of PN/2 for quite a while now, and
> > have noticed the following sequence:

> > 1)  I post a new note or a reply to one of my subscribed groups

> > 2)  Send the note.

> > 3)  Return to the same group, and try to read a new message, (article,
> > whatever), and PN/2 just locks up in that group and won't let me
> > continue.

> Do you have any limits set for the numbers of articles to handle? e.g.
> Pronews/2 -> Settings... -> Group Defaults (Page 9 of 9) ->
> "Automatically limit to X"

I have this set to "Automatically Limit to 450"

or Group -> Group Settings -> Other ->

Quote:> "Automatically limit to X"

I have this set to "Use Group Defaults"

Quote:> Is it all groups that do this? Is it consistent? Has it always
> happened?

I'm not sure it happens because I read several groups that I never
post to.  I know I get nailed with the OS/2 groups and
rec.outdoors.rv-travel.  And yes, it has happened since I first
installed.  

What I see after I send the post, then try to read a different one, is
the little activity arrow-triangles stop, turn solid red, and that's
it.  I have to close and reopen PN/2.

I'm going to try it right now after I post this.  If I see anything
more detailed, I'll be back.  Here we go... documenting...

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 06:23:13


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 20:07:27 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"


> Is it all groups that do this? Is it consistent? Has it always
> happened?

I'm back.

Well shoot!  I can definitely say it does NOT happen all the time.  I
posted the other reply to your questions, then was able to read every
other post here without a hang.

Then I went to other groups and opened about 30 unread posts.  No
hangs.

Unless you see something wrong with my settings as reported earlier,
maybe it's just my newsserver acting up.  

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 12:38:21


On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:23:13 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"


> Unless you see something wrong with my settings as reported earlier,
> maybe it's just my newsserver acting up.  

It doesn't sound like a news server issue to me, though I'm still not
100% sure I understand what you're seeing. Does Pronews crash - as in
disappear and leave an entry in popuplog.os2? Does it seem to be
looping - cpu usage abnormally high? Does it lock up and not respond
to anything and require killing or can you shut it down yourself
easily? Make sure you're running with debug set on (by passing "-3" as
a parameter to it when you start it) and see if anything useful
looking is produced in pronews.log next time it happens.

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 13:20:43


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 03:38:21 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"


> On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:23:13 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"

> > Unless you see something wrong with my settings as reported earlier,
> > maybe it's just my newsserver acting up.  

> It doesn't sound like a news server issue to me, though I'm still not
> 100% sure I understand what you're seeing. Does Pronews crash - as in
> disappear and leave an entry in popuplog.os2?

No

Quote:> Does it seem to be
> looping - cpu usage abnormally high?

No

Quote:> Does it lock up and not respond
> to anything and require killing or can you shut it down yourself
> easily?

No and Yes.  It locks up in the midst of retrieving a message from the
server while operating online.  I've only seen it happen right after I
send a reply.  The moving green activity triangles turn red and all
stops.  I can close the group, I can open another group, see headers,
but I can't retrieve messages in any groups.  I have no trouble
shutting it down myself at this point.      

Quote:> Make sure you're running with debug set on (by passing "-3" as
> a parameter to it when you start it) and see if anything useful
> looking is produced in pronews.log next time it happens.

It just happened again a few minutes ago before I read this reply.  
I'll clean up the .log, set the debug switch and see what happens.

Just a thought.  It seems to be somewhat related to timing, maybe
mine, in that if I wait a few seconds after posting a note I don't see
the problem.  But if I'm in a hurry, click open something "right"
after I do a "Message --> Send", I'm more likely to set this off.

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 21:02:58


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:20:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"


> The moving green activity triangles turn red and all
> stops.  I can close the group, I can open another group, see headers,
> but I can't retrieve messages in any groups.

Sounds like it's just gone offline. What settings do you have on pages
2 through 4 of the global settings notebook? Does the server in
question show as a green or red light in the window pane on the left?
What's listed on the Queue tab of the control panel (highlight the
correct server before displaying it)? Does hitting Alt-O help?

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 22:50:42


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:02:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"


> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:20:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"

> > The moving green activity triangles turn red and all
> > stops.  I can close the group, I can open another group, see headers,
> > but I can't retrieve messages in any groups.

> Sounds like it's just gone offline. What settings do you have on pages
> 2 through 4 of the global settings notebook?

Assuming you mean in "Group Defaults", Other than putting my own
Signature, EMail Address, Real Name, No-Spam Address on page three, I
believe pages 2 and 4 contain install defaults.

Does the server in

Quote:> question show as a green or red light in the window pane on the left?
> What's listed on the Queue tab of the control panel (highlight the
> correct server before displaying it)? Does hitting Alt-O help?

Will reply when I see the lock up happen next time.

Would an overloaded PRONEWS.LOG file cause any problems?  I'm guilty
of letting the thing grow to a huge size.  When I emptied it, to try
to catch current debug info as you requested, I notice everything
seems to move faster.

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:02:01


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:02:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"

OK, I just made it hang posting the reply to the first part of this
series of questions.

Answers are:

Quote:> Does the server in
> question show as a green or red light in the window pane on the left?

RED  (Yep, it went offline)

Quote:> What's listed on the Queue tab of the control panel (highlight the
> correct server before displaying it)?

Post Queue (1 task)                                                
Status:
     Posting article "Re: Pronew/s Locks up after posting            
Queued

Quote:> Does hitting Alt-O help?

Yes, but oddly it brought all my servers (2) online, not just the
highlighted one.

--
Barbara

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Trevor Hemsle » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 01:48:29


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:50:42 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"


> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:02:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"

> > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 04:20:43 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"

> > > The moving green activity triangles turn red and all
> > > stops.  I can close the group, I can open another group, see headers,
> > > but I can't retrieve messages in any groups.

> > Sounds like it's just gone offline. What settings do you have on pages
> > 2 through 4 of the global settings notebook?

> Assuming you mean in "Group Defaults",

No, I mean the first 4 pages - server pages 2+3 and the next one.

Quote:> Would an overloaded PRONEWS.LOG file cause any problems?  I'm guilty
> of letting the thing grow to a huge size.  When I emptied it, to try
> to catch current debug info as you requested, I notice everything
> seems to move faster.

Coincidence I suspect.

Quote:>> Does the server in
>> question show as a green or red light in the window pane on the
left?

>RED  (Yep, it went offline)

Yes, I can see in the log that you sent me that your ISP is closing
the connection behind our backs - that's what the "Peer closed
connection" log messages mean. I think we then treat that as an i/o
error and put the server offline.

Quote:>> Does hitting Alt-O help?

> Yes, but oddly it brought all my servers (2) online, not just the
> highlighted one.

That's what Alt-O does ;-) If you just want one of your servers online
then you need to right click it and then hit the O key.

I think that what's happening is that your server is closing the
connection we have open to it and we then put it offline. All you need
to do to get it back the way it was is to put it back online again.
Quite why they decide to close the connection when you've just made a
post is another question. Maybe they have restrictions on the number
of concurrent connections you can have and opening an extra one puts
the oldest offline but that seems like a very weird thing to do - most
places reject the Nth + 1 connection when you try to open it not
silently close the oldest one!

--
Trevor Hemsley, Brighton, UK.

 
 
 

Pronews/2 locks up after posting?

Post by Barbar » Mon, 25 Aug 2003 05:43:10


On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 16:48:29 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"


> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 13:50:42 UTC in comp.os.os2.mail-news, "Barbara"

> > On Sat, 23 Aug 2003 12:02:58 UTC, "Trevor Hemsley"

> > > Sounds like it's just gone offline. What settings do you have on pages
> > > 2 through 4 of the global settings notebook?

> > Assuming you mean in "Group Defaults",

> No, I mean the first 4 pages - server pages 2+3 and the next one.

OH

Server P.2 Connections
Two Server identifying names, both with the following settings.

Max Connections=2
Binary Connections=1
NNTP Post Connections=1
Misc. Connections=1
Offline Mode is selected
None of the "Close connections" boxes are checked

Server P.3  Mail Server
Server Name for attglobal mail server only
Port 25
Max connections=1
Close Connections upon task completion IS checked
Online mode is selected

Queue Page
Load Queued Processes
   Prompt for load is selected
Thread Priority
   Regular is selected
Saved Queued Processes
   Prompt for Save is selected
Queue Operations
   Go off line when queue is empty is NOT checked.

Quote:> I think that what's happening is that your server is closing the
> connection we have open to it and we then put it offline.

That's fairly obvious now, but why is still puzzling unless you see
something strange with the settings I just reported.  It is definitely
intermittant, and I don't think I ever saw it while using my old news
client, EmTec.  

I do know attglobal's news servers have been overfull lately, with
them deleting some of the binary groups in order to keep the things
going.  Retention time has been a point of complaint for many users.  
Don't know what that has to do with new posting, but thought I'd
mention it.

Thanks for your help!!!

--
Barbara

 
 
 

1. Object Desktop v1.5 and Boot Lock-ups!

Hi folks!

Well, I have tried Stardock Tech support for almost a month
now, and they can't seem to help (they've asked lots of
questions, but still haven't proposed a solution), so I'm
turning to the 'Net!  Hopefully, one of you out there has an
idea on how to fix this!

The Problem:  
If the Tabbed Launchpad and Control Center of Object Desktop is
either placed in the OS/2 Start-up folder *or* has been set to start
up at boot via the radio buttons in the Master OD set-up object,
intermittent lock-ups of the desktop can/will occur on a regular
basis upon boot-up of the WPS.  (The lock-up occurs after the
desktop comes up and OD begins to load.  It will either fail without
any warning and lock-up the WPS before displaying the CC or TLP
or, lock-up right after displaying the TLP (while objects are being
read).

I have a feeling that this may be related to the fact that my
system is a particularly fast one, and that the problem only
manifests itself on fast machines. (Since I haven't seen anyone post
anything concerning this problem.)  My system is an Intel P5 (166Mhz)
with 96megs of 60ns EDO RAM and a 512K pipelined burst cache.  The
motherboard is an ASUS P55TP4XE with the latest BIOS revision (2.02).
Also, I do have the latest Fixpak #1 for OD ver 1.5 installed.  My machine
also has OS/2 Warp fixpak #17 + pmmerge/doscall.dll patch applied.  I
also know that my INI files are good - I've run the wpstool's checkini
program to clean/fix all .ini files.

Everything on my system is *ROCK SOLID*.  I never experience traps,
or WPS lock-ups.  The only exception is WPS lock-ups during boot-up
(the problem I mentioned above!)

The only trick I've found to keep OD from locking the WPS at system/WPS
boot-up (again, this doesn't always happen - only 60-80 percent of time)
is to *manually* start OD's TLP and CC from icons on the desktop *after*
the WPS has finished booting up.  This is a kludge, and I would like a better
solution!  My best guess as to what is going wrong is that when OD loads, it
is attempting to access a service or function call that isn't ready yet - hence
it "hangs" the WPS.  If I start OD's TLP & CC via the icons, it *never* locks
the WPS up.  

Any ideas?  I'm not fluent in REXX, but perhaps a short REXX program in my
start-up folder that delays for ten seconds before calling the TLP & CC
would fix the problem!  

Stardock (Brad), If you are reading this, could you investigate this problem.
Your company's email tech support has stopped replying - perhaps other
users are experiencing this same problem!

Thanks for listening!  Any suggests are welcome.

John Norcross

2. Navigation w/ CW Pro 4.0 & Pascal

3. Voice Type Lock Ups

4. Shared IDCMP probs...

5. Warp Connect Lock-ups

6. Dell Dimension XPS 120c: EIDE CDROM & OS/2 ??

7. Hard Lock-Ups - Mayday! MayDay!

8. Braces - use of?

9. PMTerminal exit locks ups OS/2 2.1

10. NEC CD-ROM CDR84 lock-ups my PC!

11. Win-OS2 lock-ups

12. Warp 4 Lock ups