Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Greg Sarson » Fri, 29 Nov 1996 04:00:00

Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch to
save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every newsgroup
I want to watch.

Please email me directly if you know.

Greg
                 ____
               /  .  .  \
           ***   .    ***

>---------......................___________

> Powered by IBM,
> Traveling at Warp 4.0,
> Comms by MR/2 Internet Cruiser
>---------......................___________

               **     **

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Amiri Jone » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch to
> save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every
newsgroup
> I want to watch.

> Please email me directly if you know.

> Greg

        I'm not exactly sure what you're asking.  If you're talking about
just seeing only the newsgroups you want to watch, instead of all the
newsgroups on the server, then do the following:

        -Place a check in the box on the line by each group you want to
watch.
        -Select Options: Show Subscribed Newsgroups.

        After doing this, in the future, just open the folder for the
server, and it will only check for unread messages on your subscribed
(checked) newsgroups.  Hope this helps.

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Dill » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch
> to save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every
> newsgroup I want to watch.

   Do you mean every time you open Netscape News, the same 3
newsgroups are always there, and they're not the ones you want? More and more
people are having this problem. Here's the solution:

   Go into your Netscape News directory, which will be
X:\NetscapeDir\News, where X is the drive you installed Netscape on, and NetscapeDir
is the directory.
   Most likely, you'll see a file called 'FAT', and you _won't_ see a
file called 'NEWS.RC' or 'NEWS..RC'.

   Upon installation, Netscape should have set up News with a FAT
file (no relation to the filesystem called FAT) which directs Netscape to
the correct list of subscribed newsgroups, and a NEWS.RC file which
contains the name of those saved newsgroups. (and possibly a NEWS.RCG
file, which contains what looks like all groups on the news server; I
think this only is created if you ask Netscape to load all groups)

   What you have to do is this: edit the file FAT, so that the
following 2 lines are in it. (Replace the lines in it now)
   netscape-newsrc-map-file
   newsrc-news.glinx.com  X:\NetscapeDir\News\news.rc      FALSE

Where X and NetscapeDir are as located above, and news.glinx.com is
replaced with your own news server.

   Next, edit a new file called 'NEWS.RC'. Put the name of a
newsgroup in here, like comp.os.os2.apps. Save it.

   Now when you go into News you should see one newsgroup, the one
you put in NEWS.RC. More importantly, you should be able to add groups
and have them save when you leav News, so they'll be available when you
come back into News again. (Note that there's a bug in the Display
All Newsgroups option; see Netscape's READ.ME for details and how to fix
it..)

   If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask.. Also, don't
forget to enter this as a bug in the bug report from in "Help|How to Give
Feedback". The more people they have suffering from this bug, the more
incentive they have to fix it faster.

--Dill

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Don Wa » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>> Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch
>> to save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every
>> newsgroup I want to watch.

>   Do you mean every time you open Netscape News, the same 3
>newsgroups are always there, and they're not the ones you want? More and more
>people are having this problem. Here's the solution:

>   Go into your Netscape News directory, which will be
>X:\NetscapeDir\News, where X is the drive you installed Netscape on, and NetscapeDir
>is the directory.
>   Most likely, you'll see a file called 'FAT', and you _won't_ see a
>file called 'NEWS.RC' or 'NEWS..RC'.

>   Upon installation, Netscape should have set up News with a FAT
>file (no relation to the filesystem called FAT) which directs Netscape to
>the correct list of subscribed newsgroups, and a NEWS.RC file which
>contains the name of those saved newsgroups. (and possibly a NEWS.RCG
>file, which contains what looks like all groups on the news server; I
>think this only is created if you ask Netscape to load all groups)

>   What you have to do is this: edit the file FAT, so that the
>following 2 lines are in it. (Replace the lines in it now)
>   netscape-newsrc-map-file
>   newsrc-news.glinx.com  X:\NetscapeDir\News\news.rc      FALSE

>Where X and NetscapeDir are as located above, and news.glinx.com is
>replaced with your own news server.

>   Next, edit a new file called 'NEWS.RC'. Put the name of a
>newsgroup in here, like comp.os.os2.apps. Save it.

>   Now when you go into News you should see one newsgroup, the one
>you put in NEWS.RC. More importantly, you should be able to add groups
>and have them save when you leav News, so they'll be available when you
>come back into News again. (Note that there's a bug in the Display
>All Newsgroups option; see Netscape's READ.ME for details and how to fix
>it..)

>   If you have any problems, don't hesitate to ask.. Also, don't
>forget to enter this as a bug in the bug report from in "Help|How to Give
>Feedback". The more people they have suffering from this bug, the more
>incentive they have to fix it faster.

>--Dill

 Thanks for the pointers here. I am, (was), having he same problem. However I
was unable to fix it using your instructions.  I had three lines in my
netscape\news\fat file. I just removed the extra period in the name since that is
not a valid file name and then changed true to false. This allowed me to
unsubscribe and subscribe to news groups successfully. I have sent in a bug report
to IBM on this already.

 Again, thanks for putting me in the right direction to resolve this problem.

 Don Ward

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Rodney S Bake » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch
> > to save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every
> > newsgroup I want to watch.

>    Do you mean every time you open Netscape News, the same 3
> newsgroups are always there, and they're not the ones you want?
More and more
> people are having this problem. Here's the solution:

>    Go into your Netscape News directory, which will be
> X:\NetscapeDir\News, where X is the drive you installed Netscape
on, and NetscapeDir
> is the directory.
>    Most likely, you'll see a file called 'FAT', and you _won't_ see
> file called 'NEWS.RC' or 'NEWS..RC'.

>    Upon installation, Netscape should have set up News with a FAT
> file (no relation to the filesystem called FAT) which directs
Netscape to
> the correct list of subscribed newsgroups, and a NEWS.RC file
which
> contains the name of those saved newsgroups. (and possibly a
NEWS.RCG
> file, which contains what looks like all groups on the news server;
> think this only is created if you ask Netscape to load all groups)

>    What you have to do is this: edit the file FAT, so that the
> following 2 lines are in it. (Replace the lines in it now)
>    netscape-newsrc-map-file
>[...deletia...]

This seems to be a very long way around a minor problem. I merely
added my local news server and deleted the default news server. I
then loaded all newsgroups, subscribed to the ones I wanted and
unsubscribed to the 3 default groups. I then set Netscape to show only
subscribed groups. It now works perfectly!

Netscape is obviously creating the files and updating them correctly.
There are perhaps people who aren't aware of some of the quirks of
the Netscape News newsreader however (especially if you're used to
something like PR News, NR/2, FreeAgent etc.) and therefore may not have
figured this out yet, however.

Rod.

sritched mg kegtops

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Don Wa » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>> > Is there anyway once you load the news groups you want to watch
>> > to save them?  Everytime I open Netscape I have to reload every
>> > newsgroup I want to watch.

>>    Do you mean every time you open Netscape News, the same 3
>> newsgroups are always there, and they're not the ones you want?
>More and more
>> people are having this problem. Here's the solution:

>>    Go into your Netscape News directory, which will be
>> X:\NetscapeDir\News, where X is the drive you installed Netscape
>on, and NetscapeDir
>> is the directory.
>>    Most likely, you'll see a file called 'FAT', and you _won't_ see
>> file called 'NEWS.RC' or 'NEWS..RC'.

>>    Upon installation, Netscape should have set up News with a FAT
>> file (no relation to the filesystem called FAT) which directs
>Netscape to
>> the correct list of subscribed newsgroups, and a NEWS.RC file
>which
>> contains the name of those saved newsgroups. (and possibly a
>NEWS.RCG
>> file, which contains what looks like all groups on the news server;
>> think this only is created if you ask Netscape to load all groups)

>>    What you have to do is this: edit the file FAT, so that the
>> following 2 lines are in it. (Replace the lines in it now)
>>    netscape-newsrc-map-file
>>[...deletia...]

>This seems to be a very long way around a minor problem. I merely
>added my local news server and deleted the default news server. I
>then loaded all newsgroups, subscribed to the ones I wanted and
>unsubscribed to the 3 default groups. I then set Netscape to show only
>subscribed groups. It now works perfectly!

>Netscape is obviously creating the files and updating them correctly.
>There are perhaps people who aren't aware of some of the quirks of
>the Netscape News newsreader however (especially if you're used to
>something like PR News, NR/2, FreeAgent etc.) and therefore may not have
>figured this out yet, however.

>Rod.

provided and they are not able to subscribe to new groups.

 My system at work used HPFS and it was able to create two files.  My system at
home where surfing counts uses FAT and it was not able to create the two files.

 I sent a bug report into IBM and did receive notification that it was received.

 Don Ward

Netscape Beta 2 and news

Post by Dill » Thu, 05 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> This seems to be a very long way around a minor problem. I merely
> added my local news server and deleted the default news server. I
> then loaded all newsgroups, subscribed to the ones I wanted and
> unsubscribed to the 3 default groups. I then set Netscape to show only
> subscribed groups. It now works perfectly!

   Then you have no need of the fix I posted; great. But myself and
other people do... For us, the simple method you descibe here doesn't
(didn't) work. Believe me, I tried that first. I know Netscape well, as
I've been using it on other platforms for years.
   Some people, especially those using FAT systems, have actual
_problems_ with the subscription process. Not in that they don't know
how to do it, but they KNOW how to do it, and it doesn't work. It's a
bug in Navigator/2 b2 which affects some, but not all.
   (Just to check; what filesystem do you have Netscape/2 installed on,
an HPFS partion? Check the files in your news directory. If they have
double-dots in the filenames like mine did upon installation, then you
can see that this would obviously be a problem if you had installed on a
FAT filesystem. Myself, I installed it on my HPFS partion, and I _still_
had problems until I fixed it as I described.)
   I'm not saying my fix is necessary; yes, some people just aren't used
to Netscape, and don't know the proper way to show/subscribe groups.
Just remember that there ARE people out there who have a problem that
this fix... well, fixes.

--Dill

Quote:

> Netscape is obviously creating the files and updating them correctly.
> There are perhaps people who aren't aware of some of the quirks of
> the Netscape News newsreader however (especially if you're used to
> something like PR News, NR/2, FreeAgent etc.) and therefore may not have
> figured this out yet, however.

1. Netscape beta 2 / news

I've been playing with the new beta and have a couple of questions
about the news reader.

1.  Is there a way to get a list of all the news groups?
2.  After you mark all messages of a newgroup as read can you go back
latter and look at the messages?
3.  The first newsgroup on my list is news.answers .... How can I
delete this group?

Greg

Internet Cruiser  <

2. 20 MHz 816

3. Netscape Beta "news"

4. Licensing questions

5. BETA: NeoLogic News V4.5 beta #2

6. Oracle DBA-NC-DC-Twin Cities-Immediate

7. BETA: NeoLogic News V.45 beta #2 available

8. ST parts source?

9. BETA: Netscape/2 Beta... HERE!

10. Multiple News.All, News.Grp & News.Tim Files

11. BETA BETA Who has the BETA (only 300 sites)!

12. Neologic News Beta Available

13. BETA: NeoLogic News Version 4.5