Multimedia, CD-ROMs, Sound Cards, etc...

Multimedia, CD-ROMs, Sound Cards, etc...

Post by Menees, Bi » Wed, 18 Mar 1992 02:43:00

        Greetings fellow OS/2 lovers!  I am counting the minutes until 2.0
is released (well not really; I've actually got my computer doing that. :-)
I need some advice on potential software availability.  First, though here's
my hardware:

    486/33 ISA w/4MB RAM (upgrading to 8MB this week)
    120MB Hard Disk
    Diamond Speedstar SVGA card w/1MB (1024x768x256)

    I need to know if and when any good multimedia creation apps will be out
for 2.0.  I need software that will let me create my own 2D AND 3D animated
movies (including manipulating 24-bit color images (by dithering) with my VGA
card until I can upgrade to true 24-bit video) and sync in stereo sound.  I
plan to buy a sound card as soon as I get next semester's grant money, but
for now I'll have to do without. :-(
    I guess I'm looking for MAC-like multimedia creation capabilities but for
OS/2 2.0.  I really want this OS to succeed in a big way, and I want to
produce with it from the beginning.  I have projects I need to start ASAP,
and I don't want to buy any more DOS or Windoze *to do them with.
However, if it is going to be 3 to 6 months (or more) before any apps of this
kind show up for 2.0, I might have to (temporarily) go back to DOS/Windoze.
    I've heard that there are some 800 developers making about 1200 products
for 2.0 even as I write this.  Does anyone out there know if any or how many
of these are for multimedia purposes?  I have heard that IBM wants OS/2 to be
big in the multimedia market so I would hope several initial products are
already in the works and can be delivered at or around the time when 2.0
rolls out.  Also, I just read in BYTE about IBM's prerelease Multimedia
Development Kit being available for $100.  Is it worth getting?  And if so
how does one get it?  Will the true release MDK also be available for $100
when 2.0 ships?
    I don't think this next wish is too much to hope for from a true 32-bit
multitasking, multithreaded OS, but with the latest rumor of Mac apps running
on OS/2 and the recent IBM/Apple agreement I'm counting on products equal to
or BETTER than current Mac products.
    BTW, I've heard that Apple is porting Quicktime to Windoze, and I've
already seen software to run Quicktime movies under Windoze.  SO, why didn't
IBM (and OS/2 2.0) get their hands on Quicktime tech before Microsloth's
Windoze?  It'll*me off if I don't see Quicktime (or something
equivalent) for OS/2 2.0 soon.
    Now for a question probably already asked and answered a thousand times:
Does 2.0 have built-in support for sound cards and CD-ROMs?  I want the
ability to effectively integrate whatever sound card I purchase with the OS.
This includes defining different error "beeps"/messages for different
actions, ability to associate messages with objects, etc.  Will all this be
able to be done with software supplied with the card?  (I'm hoping, of
course, that Sound Blaster, Adlib, and all the others will be coming out with
OS/2 2.0 versions of their bundled software. :-)  Also, I won't have to buy
any "OS/2 2.0 CD-ROM extensions" or anything like that when I get a CD-ROM
will I?  Support for CDs is built in the OS right?
    I'll appreciate any comments I get whether they are about the software I
need or the hardware I should upgrade to or anything else related to OS/2
Multimedia apps.  Thanks.

                        Boycott Microsoft!
*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*
|      Bill Menees       | Bikers do biker things, and Penthouse Pets |

|   Cup of Fungus 1992   |                         -Penn Jillette     |
*-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-*

Multimedia, CD-ROMs, Sound Cards, etc...

Post by Milton Albert Snyd » Wed, 18 Mar 1992 05:13:42

I currently use MS Windows 3.0 with multimedia extensions 1.0. However,
I'm seriously considering moving over to OS/2 when it's released.

What I want to know is:  will I still be able to run my MPC software
(Microsoft Bookshelf, Battlechess etc.) under OS/2?  I know OS/2
comes with MS Windows, but will I be able to add the Multimedia extensions?

Skip.

Multimedia, CD-ROMs, Sound Cards, etc...

Post by Christian Vandendor » Thu, 19 Mar 1992 16:14:14

Quote:>I currently use MS Windows 3.0 with multimedia extensions 1.0. However,
>I'm seriously considering moving over to OS/2 when it's released.

>What I want to know is:  will I still be able to run my MPC software
>(Microsoft Bookshelf, Battlechess etc.) under OS/2?  I know OS/2
>comes with MS Windows, but will I be able to add the Multimedia extensions?

>Skip.

You will still be able to run software that uses the soundcard (like games).
The MPM/2 (multimedia extensions for OS/2) are supposed to come out soon,
so you wont need the ones for windows.

--

Christian Vandendorpe