OS/2 2.1 and Netware 3.12 not working right...

OS/2 2.1 and Netware 3.12 not working right...

Post by Sean Eckto » Wed, 03 Aug 1994 00:13:53

I have tried several times to connect to a Netware 3.12 server and have
been able to, but when I try to open an icon view of the drives, nothing
happens for a whlie then I get a timeout and get disconnected from the
server.  I don't have any problems with 3.11 servers (haven't tried 4.x
yet).  I can't seem to double click on the drive that is mapped and get
any response from the server after that.  I also have a program OPEN.EXE
(available on the FTP sites) that will open an icon view of whatever
directory I specify of am in.  It does the same thing.  If I just open an
OS/2 window, everything works great.  I can type DIR and get the
information and see the programs, but I can't get a graphical view.  Is
it something wrong with my netware setup in OS/2 or is it a problem with
the server?  I can't run programs like I need to from that server.

Sean Eckton

Post by Hawley K Risi » Wed, 03 Aug 1994 11:42:47

[...]

This may not help, (I've done this twice, and fumbled my way thru, Im not
an expert) but I had a similar problem, timeout followed by loss of maps
to drives, and corrected it by making sure my map included a map of P: to
the ...FS1:PUBLIC.  After that it worked, but I cant explain it.

Hope this helps,

Hawley Rising

Post by barryn on B » Wed, 03 Aug 1994 11:49:41

    >...tried several times to connect to a Netware 3.12 server

Sean, try putting "directory services OFF" in your NET.CFG file.

Barry Nance
(author, "Using OS/2 2.1")
  (also "Intro to Networking", "Client/Server LAN Programming",
   and "Network Programming in C". Working on "Guide to LAN Server".)

Post by Mark Ha » Wed, 03 Aug 1994 22:30:39

>: I have tried several times to connect to a Netware 3.12 server and have
>: been able to, but when I try to open an icon view of the drives, nothing
>: happens for a whlie then I get a timeout and get disconnected from the
>: server.  I don't have any problems with 3.11 servers (haven't tried 4.x
>: yet).  I can't seem to double click on the drive that is mapped and get
>: any response from the server after that.  I also have a program OPEN.EXE
>: (available on the FTP sites) that will open an icon view of whatever
>: directory I specify of am in.  It does the same thing.  If I just open an
>: OS/2 window, everything works great.  I can type DIR and get the
>: information and see the programs, but I can't get a graphical view.  Is
>: it something wrong with my netware setup in OS/2 or is it a problem with
>: the server?  I can't run programs like I need to from that server.

>: Sean Eckton

>This may not help, (I've done this twice, and fumbled my way thru, Im not
>an expert) but I had a similar problem, timeout followed by loss of maps
>to drives, and corrected it by making sure my map included a map of P: to
>the ...FS1:PUBLIC.  After that it worked, but I cant explain it.

>Hope this helps,

>Hawley Rising

THERE IS A PATCH FOR THIS!!!  I made the following post yesterday:

[*** begin repeat posting from yesterday ***]
Several months ago, I reported that there was a reproducable bug
effecting OS/2 users running the NetWare requester.  The symptoms of
the bug run something like this:

   * If a user does NOT have supervisor equivalance on a given
     NetWare file server, using the drives icon from the OS/2 desktop
     to view a volume on the file server will occassionally cause the
     connection to the file server to be lost.  The following error
     messages may also be displayed:

       [The Drive ";, is not a valid Drive          " " " is either
       read-only or is being used by another program]

This problem has been giving me (and my OS/2 users) fits!  The only
work around was to do one of the following: Give all of my OS/2
users supervisor equivalance, or give them R F M rights to the root
of the appropriate NetWare volume.  Needless to say, these
work-arounds are unacceptable.

Novell put out a patch for this in April, but no one with whom I
communicated seemed to know anything about it.  It located on
ftp.novell.com in the following directory:

        pub2/NWOS/NW312/OSNLM/312pt2.exe

The patch, EAREPLFX.NLM, works with the patch module for 3.12 servers,
PM312.NLM - also included in the zipped file.
[*** end repeat posting ***]

Mark Hall
Network Operations
University of Georgia
College of Pharmacy
Athens, Georgia  30602
USA

Phone: (706) 542-5297

1. Netware 3.12 & OS/2 2.1 Netware Requester problems...?!

I'm having wierd problems with netware 3.12 and the novell 2.1
requester.  To put it bluntly, they don't seem to work together at
all...  I'm (the os/2 client) able to login to the server normally, but
then the server dies about a minute later with an abend related to
incomplete packets being sent to the netware server (which then abends
when the error log overflows)...

Does anyone know if there is anything I can do about this?  I really want
to be able to run OS/2 at work... ^_^

John(erg)

2. Interrupts reserved for BASIC

3. Can connect to Netware 3.11 but not 3.12, help!

4. Media Converter question

5. Problem with Warp, Netware 2.10, 3.12 server, and WP for Win.

6. Comm3/4 modems, long shut down time

7. Netware 3.12 on OS/2 Warp?

8. NetWare 3.12 Server under OS/2?

9. OS/2 Warp & Netware 3.12