Whither OS2, or, wither OS2?

Post by Paul Steckl » Mon, 03 Aug 1992 23:31:15

OK, pundits.  It appears that Mike Kogan, OS/2's chief architect,
has left IBM.  He will continue to consult for IBM.
(This story was on Thursday's MicroBytes (July 30).  Any predictions
what effect this might have?

-- Paul

Whither OS2, or, wither OS2?

Post by Luc Bauwe » Tue, 04 Aug 1992 01:27:24

Quote:>OK, pundits.  It appears that Mike Kogan, OS/2's chief architect,
>has left IBM.  He will continue to consult for IBM.
>(This story was on Thursday's MicroBytes (July 30).  Any predictions
>what effect this might have?

Has he been offered a better deal by our friends in Redmond?  (Gordon,
is that your dirty work :-)?)

Or did he just loose faith, or did his impatience with The Great IBM
Ways grow beyond what he could stand :-)?

LB

Whither OS2, or, wither OS2?

Post by stirl.. » Tue, 04 Aug 1992 20:02:06

Quote:

>OK, pundits.  It appears that Mike Kogan, OS/2's chief architect,
>has left IBM.  He will continue to consult for IBM.
>(This story was on Thursday's MicroBytes (July 30).  Any predictions
>what effect this might have?

>-- Paul

I cannot confirm or deny this story.  Mike Kogan is still listed in my telephone
directory for the Boca site, but I could be backlevel.

My prediction is that there will be no adverse effect.  We will probably just
have another lead OS/2 designer appointed. I very much doubt that a whole
product will fall into disarray at the loss of one person.

Cheers,

CICS/ESA Systems Facilities         Bitnet: ian at vnet

Whither OS2, or, wither OS2?

Post by Dan Keh » Tue, 04 Aug 1992 19:31:41

Quote:>OK, pundits.  It appears that Mike Kogan, OS/2's chief architect,
>has left IBM.  He will continue to consult for IBM.
>(This story was on Thursday's MicroBytes (July 30).  Any predictions
>what effect this might have?

>-- Paul

Apart from increasing Mr. Kogan's yearly income, I would guess none.

IBM has been downsizing its workforce for awhile now.  These efforts
occasionally result in good employees leaving IBM, only to be contracted
back at a greater salary.  It allows IBM to continue its full employment
practice without loosing key employees.

Dan Kehn
#include <stddisc.h>