7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

Post by Todd R Johns » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 12:12:16

I had to apply t7gfix3 and set the SB Pro to IRQ 10. T7G works pretty
well now, except that the music is often so loud that I cannot hear
the voice. Frankly, I think the software and hardware industry needs
to get their act together. I should not have to muck with tiny dip
switches just to get a game to work.

As for T7G, unfortunately, the great graphics, music and story are
just pretty wrapping for a set of unrelated (and often tedious)
puzzles. It even has the ubiquitous maze. In terms of interactive
fiction, T7G ranks as a pretty poor effort.

        ---Todd

7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

Post by Christopher Wo » Thu, 27 Jan 1994 10:07:54

I am among the luckless who is unable to get the game 7th Guest
running. I know the usual game tricks, and have the latest t7gfix3.zip
patch. I also *know* that my SbPro is not conflicting with my lpt1.
Finally, I have heard of those who have success with the PAS (useless
to me) and switching to IRQ 10 (don't want to go through that surgery
just yet).

I have tried the IBM tech support, and thought I'd mention the story
so far. Their first line of defence was to fax me their standard info
fax sndboard.txt with the usual games settings suggestions. In
addition, there were less obvious suggestions for the config.sys like
"PRIORITY=DYNAMIC", "MAXWAIT=1", and "TIMESLICE=32,1000". No luck
there. Somebody from multimedia (or was it ultimedia?) tech support
finally called me with the following suggestions on my answering
machine (I wasn't home).

1. Get latest fix from Trilobyte. I believe they meant t7gfix3.
Sigh. Said that prob was with DMA buffer overflowing. (note no mention
of Dos vdm killing DMA after specific time).

2. Creative Labs tech support might help. They might have something
there: Pro Audio Spectrum users have run 7th Guest successfully. Alas,
my industry standard Sound Blaster Pro is going nowhere.

3. Call him. Oh well.

If anyone has tried Creative Labs tech support, I would love to hear
about it. Obviously, IBM knows about the 7th Guest problem, but they
are obviously not offering to distribute the patch if any exists. I
tried calling the * Games BBS at (714) 562 5030 and got a "number
disconnected" message.

Chris

7th Guest saga continues (IBM Tech support guest stars)

Post by Kenneth R Crud » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 03:12:02

Quote:>Frankly, I think the software and hardware industry needs to get their act
>together. I should not have to muck with tiny dip switches just to get a
>game to work.

Frankly, I think the auto makers and the parts stores needs to get their acts
together. I should not have to muck with a lot of different parts just to get
my car to run faster.

        -Kenny "Yes, I'm being sarcastic" Crudup

--

16 Plainfield St. Jamaica Plain, (Boston), MA 02130-3633
Home +1 617 524 5929    Home Fax +1 617 983 9410        Team OS/2 wannabe

Post by Guy Kenda » Fri, 28 Jan 1994 05:15:15

>I am among the luckless who is unable to get the game 7th Guest
>running. I know the usual game tricks, and have the latest t7gfix3.zip

I am having a problem too. I don't have any patches though. Could you tell
me where I could find the 7th Guest patches? If you solve this problem,
please let me know.

--

NCR Microelectronic Products Division               Voice: 719-573-3203
1635 Aeroplaza Drive                                  Fax: 719-597-8225

Post by Ken Bruck » Sun, 30 Jan 1994 02:49:56

>I am among the luckless who is unable to get the game 7th Guest
>running. I know the usual game tricks, and have the latest t7gfix3.zip
>patch. I also *know* that my SbPro is not conflicting with my lpt1.
>Finally, I have heard of those who have success with the PAS (useless
>to me) and switching to IRQ 10 (don't want to go through that surgery
>just yet).

I have heard that this does allow the SBPro to function, however I've
also heard that this breaks other games that don't support IRQ10.

Quote:>If anyone has tried Creative Labs tech support, I would love to hear
>about it. Obviously, IBM knows about the 7th Guest problem, but they
>are obviously not offering to distribute the patch if any exists. I
>tried calling the * Games BBS at (714) 562 5030 and got a "number
>disconnected" message.

The last time I was on Creative Labs BBS earlier this month I didn't see
anything that seemed to be related to this problem.  It isn't an MMPM
issue since MMPM isn't required for DOS games, nor are any other OS/2
drivers for the board.  I'm at a loss to understand what Creative Labs
would be able to do for this problem.

The correct number for * Games BBS is (714) 833-3305.  Around the
beginning of January I was also searching for a solution to this problem.
At that time, the * Games BBS was completely unresponsive to the
problems with OS/2 and I haven't been on since around the middle of the month
to see what their story is now.

I have had a call open with IBM on the problem but haven't heard from
them for a couple of weeks.  I'm checking back in to see what progress,
if any, they have had.

Ken
Ken Brucker -- VMS/Ultrix/Network Management -- Computervision, San Diego

    Practice Random Acts of Kindness and Senseless acts of Beauty

1. 7th Guest thinks it's

 In> I have never been able to get this game to work under OS/2. The game
 In> works fine until the people appear in the foyer and then their voices
 In> never get played.

 In> Anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried installing it with "adding new programs"?

... Catch the Blue Wave!
___ Blue Wave/QWK v2.12
* SION Telematica *
Buenos Aires - ARGENTINA
Voice: +541-469-1334 -> Modem: (+541)656-9195 / (+541)469-1335

2. CAD -> EDA

3. 7th Guest thinks it's a CD

4. Landscape view software?

5. HELP - 7th Guest under Warp

6. AI aLife

7. 7th Guest - problems...

8. What is per pixel shading?

9. Can't load 7th Guest: GJD file system error!

10. 7th Guest And Os/2?

11. 7th Guest

12. The 7th Guest