SuperMicro P55T2S and internal modem problems under OS/2

SuperMicro P55T2S and internal modem problems under OS/2

Post by da.. » Wed, 19 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I recently purchased and installed a SuperMicro P55T2S motherboard
with an AMI BIOS dated 7/15/95 (coded S6Y0T8 or something like that) into my
system.  This board comes with two 16550 onboard serial ports.

I use an internal Zoom modem on COM2 and my mouse on COM1 so I used
the BIOS to disable the second COM port in the 'Peripherals' section of the
CMOS settings.  I also reserved IRQ4 for the ISA/EISA bus in the PCI interrupt
settings.

Whenever I boot, the BIOS summary screen shows the existence of two COM
ports at their expected port addresses.  Also, OS/2 boots without any error
messages about the lack of a need for COM.SYS and VCOM.SYS so I assume
the system sees the second port correctly - remember the first is actually
the mouse.  Tests using MSD or PC-DOS's QCONFIG indicate the existence of
two serial ports at the expected standard configuration parameters.

The problem is that about 75% of the time when I try to access the modem,
either through the Internet dialer, FaxWorks, or any terminal program, it does
not respond.  There is no 'OK' message or any other message for that matter.
Note that the other 25% of the time, the modem seems to work and I'm not just
talking about 1/4 of the time when I reboot.  If I try to use the modem 10 times,
only about 2 of those times will I get responses from the modem.

When I boot into DOS, the modem is always accessible to my comm programs so
its definitely something with OS/2.  I immediately assumed an IRQ conflict but the
modem is jumpered for the standard IRQ3 needed for COM2 (or is it IRQ4 for COM2
and IRQ3 for COM1? Anyway, the card is setup correctly for COM2 whether or not
my mind remembers the IRQ correctly right now.)  However, checking the CMOS
settings and jumpers on the card shows that the MB COM2 is indeed disabled and
that the card is set for COM2.  Nothing else in the system should be using COM2 as
far as I can tell.

Anyone have any ideas?  Does the modem use DMA channels?

My system:
        SuperMicro P55T2S w/ AMI BIOS 7/15/95
        QLogic Fast SCSI PCI Basic (reports using IRQ10)
        Matrox MGA-MIL/2N PCI video card (IRQ? not needed as far as I know)
        GVC 2003BT ISA LAN adapter (at IRQ 12)
        ProAudio Spectrum 16 ISA (at default OS/2 settings of IRQ7)
        Zoom v.34 ISA modem (at IRQ3 and COM2)

Post by dmun.. » Sat, 22 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>I use an internal Zoom modem on COM2 and my mouse on COM1 so I used
>the BIOS to disable the second COM port in the 'Peripherals' section of the
>CMOS settings.  I also reserved IRQ4 for the ISA/EISA bus in the PCI interrupt
>settings.
>The problem is that about 75% of the time when I try to access the modem,
>either through the Internet dialer, FaxWorks, or any terminal program, it does
>not respond.  There is no 'OK' message or any other message for that matter.
>Note that the other 25% of the time, the modem seems to work and I'm not just
>talking about 1/4 of the time when I reboot.  If I try to use the modem 10 times,
>only about 2 of those times will I get responses from the modem.

Two suggestions;  if you haven't done so already, reseat the card to
assure it's not a faulty physical connection, try another slot as well:
grab a copy of Ray Gwinn's SIO/VSIO comm drivers for OS/2.

-Doug Munson

1. Supermicro P55T2S + QLOGIC PCI SCSI + OS/2??

  I have the chance to get s Supermicro P55T2S motherboard fairly cheaply.
  The reason for this is it has trouble working with an A/D card at work.
  I would like to get one of these (I love the idea of having 6 simm
  slots!!), but compatabililty seems to be the Supermicro's Achille's heel.
  Then, I noticed on Megatrends' website that the Supermicro boards don't
  support any SCSI cards except for Adaptec's.  I have a Qlogic PCI basic
  card, and although it's not the best card, it's more than adequate for my
  needs and I've never had any problems with it.  It's not worth it getting
  this motherboard if I have to go out and spend $200 on an Adaptec 2940.
  So I have a few questions for anybody out there who can answer them.

  1) Does this "not supported" mean it won't work at all with all Qlogic cards,
  or just ISA cards??

Almost certainly it's the PCI cards in Qlogic's case too; the ISA cards
probably work.

I'm the one who originally identified the compatibility problem with
BusLogic's PCI cards and reported it to Megatrends, after they assured me
they had tested the P6SNE/BusLogic combination and sold me a P6SNE with
P6-200.  I was not at all amused to learn that they and SuperMicro don't
seem to think that being PCI Plug & Play compliant is all that important,
and in fact none of their motherboards since the P55CMS are compatible with
BusLogic.

                Leonard

2. Brief for UNIX

3. 'modem not responing' internal modem problems

4. File attachments

5. Where to find a shareware that simulate modem lights for my internal modem???

6. Bitten by the same problem in a week

7. THinkpad Internal Modem Problem

8. Cardinal Internal 22800 modem problem

9. Internal modem (Instalation problem) on a Toshiba Tecra 8000

10. Satisfaxion Internal Modem Problems

11. Activating internal modem in Thinkpad 600. Problems!!

12. Thinkpad T23 Internal Lucent Win Modem Setup Problems