News Icon for Netscape - How?

Post by Zak » Mon, 23 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I'd like to have an icon which starts Netscape's newsreader.  OK -- I
read the docs and actually I already have that, by creating a program
icon which calls Netscape with the -news command line parameter.  The
problem is that a Netscape browser is started up as well as the news.
How to only get the news?

I'm sure it's something stupid which I have missed.  Please inform me of
the nature of my ignorance.

1. Multiple News.All, News.Grp & News.Tim Files

Hello Warpers and Warpettes,
Using NR 1.09, I have several "News.*" files in my directories. The
newsgroup file is corrupt; I see the first 40 or so groups and then it
shows the same one over and over and over and over..... Looking in my
directories I have the following:

tcpip\etc\rnspool\userid

tcpip\etc\rnspool\netcom

Under the netcom directory I have several news.* files:
NR2.ini
News.all
News.grp
News.tim

News2.all
News2.grp
News2.tim

News3.all
News3.grp
News3.tim

I realize I messed up and updated the group listing several times and
the netcom directory is probably where the first 3 files should reside. My
question is this: Should I delete all of the files except the NR2.ini and
rebuild the NewsGroups or will this cause more problems? What would
you do?

Gary Farr

2. CAD drawing un-group

3. emTec News icons

4. Unable to view or download Java Applets!!!

5. Netscape B2 dragged URL icon

6. Search yet again

7. Netscape icon

8. Warp 4 "Get Netscape" icon?

9. Weird icons on desktop after Netscape 4.61 plus FP12

10. ZD News: "Netscape's survival guide"

11. Netscape News (Possible port?

12. Sort newsgroups in Netscape news?