SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by mzsch.. » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Greetings all,

Lotus Development Corp Canada informs me SmartSuite 97 for Win95/NT will
be released on February 28. However, for the OS/2 version, you "can wait until
September", I was told. No explanation for the delay was given.

Worse yet, for my immediate needs, I was told SmartSuite 96 was not available
for OS/2, instead I had best "wait until SS'97 because it's more robust."

Can anyone confirm this info?

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by mzsch.. » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>:Greetings all,
>:
>:Lotus Development Corp Canada informs me SmartSuite 97 for Win95/NT will
>:be released on February 28. However, for the OS/2 version, you "can wait until
>:September", I was told. No explanation for the delay was given.
>:
>:Worse yet, for my immediate needs, I was told SmartSuite 96 was not available
>:for OS/2, instead I had best "wait until SS'97 because it's more robust."
>:
>:Can anyone confirm this info?
>:
>:Thanks in advance.
>:
>:- Mark
>:

>If this is true, they will have lost whatever market OS/2 has left by
>then.

May not be a problem for Lotus. I've had a number of conversations with Lotus
business partners (mainly Lotus Notes trainers/consultants in the Vancouver
area) and many have indicated they've often felt Lotus just wants to see OS/2
"go away". However, I'm hesitant to grant those opinions more weight
until I get more concrete evidence of this.

Quote:>Hopefully a more substantial (and existing) office suite will be out
>soon.  Perhaps Corell's Java suite will take off?

I hope so as well.

I e-mailed StarDivision in Germany asking about StarOffice (in German no less) but I
still have great hopes for a GA of StarOffice 3.1 or 4.0, or whatever they're working on,
based upon what I've seen from the Warp 4.0 application sampler. I've received
no reponse in two weeks.

Apparently, Sundial is also assembling the components for some sort of suite:
they already have Clearlook (word processor), Mesa/2 (spreadsheet),
dbExpert (database), and PIM (can't remember what it's called).

- Mark

:>:
:>:Can anyone confirm this info?
:>:
:>
:>If this is true, they will have lost whatever market OS/2 has left by
:>then.
:>

It's already gone!  These guys are should I say worse then Microsoft.
SmartSuite/96 for OS/2 is here but still can't run on Warp 4.0 because
of the fixpack.

I wouldn't care if SmartSuite 2000 is coming out tomorrow, if you
can't run it :)

They give a new meaning to the work VAPORWARE!!!!

--------------------------------
Frank J. Harczuk, III

http://www.castle.net/~fharczuk
--------------------------------

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Sandy Ma » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>:>:be released on February 28. However, for the OS/2 version, you "can wait until
>:>:September", I was told. No explanation for the delay was given.
>:>:Worse yet, for my immediate needs, I was told SmartSuite 96 was not available
>SmartSuite/96 for OS/2 is here but still can't run on Warp 4.0 because
>of the fixpack.

Smartsuite for OS/2 has been available for a couple of years. Yes, it's always been a generation behind the larger-selling version for Winxx.

Smartsuite 96 for Warp is available now. (Completely revamped versions of WordPro and *. They gave up on the really idiosyncratic version of 123 for OS/2, and are bundling some Win16 stuff (123, Approach, Organizer) with it instead.)

Smartsuite 97 will be available in Canada at the same time as the US version (it's the UK English version that takes a bit longer.)

The Fixpak for Warp 4 has been available on an as-needed basis since (at least) early December 1996. It is designed to 'fix' specific problems (like needing the new api stuff used by Smartsuite 96) and is freely-available from IBM upon request.

See http://www.veryComputer.com/

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Say Dynamo

the anagram with the homepage at
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Steve Jobs on Bill Gates - "He'd be a broader guy if he had dropped
acid once or gone off to live in an ashram when he was younger."

Post by ghilb.. » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>Greetings all,

>Lotus Development Corp Canada informs me SmartSuite 97 for Win95/NT will
>be released on February 28. However, for the OS/2 version, you "can wait until
>September", I was told. No explanation for the delay was given.

>Worse yet, for my immediate needs, I was told SmartSuite 96 was not available
>for OS/2, instead I had best "wait until SS'97 because it's more robust."

>Can anyone confirm this info?

>Thanks in advance.

>- Mark

I was told by Lotus Support ( Canada ) that SS96/2 was going to ship in a few
weeks ( a few weeks ago ).  The reason the rep. gave was that Lotus had to
determine if the $15 dollar upgrade was going to be handled internally or the
outside company that was handling the program until now.  I think the real reason
for the delay is that they want fixpack1 available before they produce the CDs.

Of course in November '96 I was told SS96/2 had a shipping date of December!

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Colin L. Hilding » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:>
:>:>:
:>:>:Can anyone confirm this info?
:>:>:
:>:>
:>:>If this is true, they will have lost whatever market OS/2 has left by
:>:>then.
:>:>
:>
:>It's already gone!  These guys are should I say worse then Microsoft.
:>SmartSuite/96 for OS/2 is here but still can't run on Warp 4.0 because
:>of the fixpack.
:>
:>I wouldn't care if SmartSuite 2000 is coming out tomorrow, if you
:>can't run it :)
:>
:>They give a new meaning to the work VAPORWARE!!!!

Actually, if you have SS96/2, you can get a prerelease FP1 from IBM.  Just
call and ask.

Colin L. Hildinger

The Ultimate OS/2 * Page
http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/games.html

http://www.veryComputer.com/~colin/awe32.html

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Chris J. Alumbau » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:06:20:47 GMT writes:

:>
:>>If this is true, they will have lost whatever market OS/2 has left by
:>>then.

 They already lost me. (g).

:>May not be a problem for Lotus. I've had a number of conversations with Lotus
:>business partners (mainly Lotus Notes trainers/consultants in the Vancouver
:>area) and many have indicated they've often felt Lotus just wants to see OS/2
:>"go away". However, I'm hesitant to grant those opinions more weight
:>until I get more concrete evidence of this.

 IMHO,, these opinions are probably as solid as concrete.  I have seen no
evidence since buying the last Smartsuite for OS/2, that Lotus gives a
rats about OS/2.  The only thing I've seen of substance from them is a
full page add in a computer mag somewhere.. I guess that is a bit more (in
advertising) than I've seen from IBM,, but on the other hand, I am running
"current code" from IBM (sans advertising), but I am not running current
code from lotus (with advertising),, so I guess that speaks for itself.

Besides, thier open belligerence concerning OPENDOC turned me off as much
as thier failure to deliver current code that works. They could have
delivered (well probably not, but should anyway) an OS/2 smartsuite that
was opendoc enabled and had rexx as the scripting language. (ie.,, a
program that exploits OS/2).  What kind of bullshit is an IBM owned
company, developing code for IBM's latest OS, (concurrently with the
development of the OS) that will only run if you "fix" the OS??.. If Lotus
cannot write an OS/2 app that runs without "fixing OS/2" (considering that
they at least had better access to info on V4 ) then they don't deserve
any of my money.

Sure,, Warp 4 broke perhaps more programs than Warp 3 did (probably
depends on who you talk to),, but at least it broke existing code..,,
just how does OS/2 break Lotus code that wasn't done before OS/2 4.0??

I sure hope IBM is happy with thier purchase of NOTES,, because as far as
I can tell that is all they bought,, they certainly didn't buy a business
partner.

But that's okay,,  they can forsake probably "given" sales in the OS/2
market for relatively marginal sales in the Windows market.  It worked for
Describe. NOT.

Chris J. Alumbaugh
********************************
As it is SPOKEN.. so it appears
OS/2 Warp 4.0 and Voice Dictation
********************************
* my email address in the header has been hacked*
* please shift all letters 1 letter to the right*
*to decipher correct address to reply by email*

Post by William N » Sat, 08 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: May not be a problem for Lotus. I've had a number of conversations with Lotus
: business partners (mainly Lotus Notes trainers/consultants in the Vancouver
: area) and many have indicated they've often felt Lotus just wants to see OS/2
: "go away". However, I'm hesitant to grant those opinions more weight
: until I get more concrete evidence of this.

Of course, they want OS/2 to go away.  It's easier to develop for a
single platform.  If there were only one platform, their job would
be more clear cut.

That's a narrowminded, but true, view.  The problem is that their
office suite competition happens to own that OS and uses that
ownership to run Lotus into the ground.  They have to learn that
M$ is friends to no one.  If you get a good market share they will
befriend you, copy you,*you.  They've always worked that way.

I've always been impressed by how people try to be friends with
M$ while competiting with them.  IBM's been doing it for years.
Apple still does it.  I'm not sure Apple has yet realized that
IBM isn't thier enemy.  M$ is.

Apparently Lotus has yet to figure it out as well.

: >Hopefully a more substantial (and existing) office suite will be out
: >soon.  Perhaps Corell's Java suite will take off?
:
: I hope so as well.

It'll take time.  What's out now is a limited function proof of
concept.  I wouldn't even call it Alpha.  Don't get me wrong, I
think it's great and I applaud Corel for what they've done so
far.  However, it will take time.

: I e-mailed StarDivision in Germany asking about StarOffice (in German no less) but I
: still have great hopes for a GA of StarOffice 3.1 or 4.0, or whatever they're working on,
: based upon what I've seen from the Warp 4.0 application sampler. I've received
: no reponse in two weeks.

I wonder if they're a little overwhelmed over there.  They'are taking
on one hell of a big task.  I wish them luck.

--
Disclaimer:  The above are my opinions and SSESCO can't have them!

William R. Nau
Supercomputer Systems Engineering and Services Company (SSESCO)
3490 Lexington Avenue North, Suite 110
Shoreview, MN 55126
612-481-0804

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Chris J. Alumbau » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:M. Zsoldos Jr.) writes:

:>

:>
:>:
:>:I sure hope IBM is happy with thier purchase of NOTES,, because as far as
:>:I can tell that is all they bought,, they certainly didn't buy a business
:>:partner.
:>:
:>
:>Not only did they buy notes, but they did it before intranets killed
:>it.  Notes is currently only being upgraded in pre-existing notes-only
:>shops.  There is virtually no new Notes installs going on.
:>
:>Another great aquisition from IBM that they just let die.
:>
:>
:>------------------------------------------------------
:>Ellis M. Zsoldos Jr.

:>http://www.microserve.net/~ezsoldos

 Are you sure about that??  Seems like official reports from IBM have
notes doing pretty well.  I don't mean to sound like I am defending Lotus,
(my previous lambasting stands (G)),, but I was under the "impression"
(key word) that Notes & Dominio and related items were doing well.

Chris J. Alumbaugh
********************************
As it is SPOKEN.. so it appears
OS/2 Warp 4.0 and Voice Dictation
********************************
* my email address in the header has been hacked*
* please shift all letters 1 letter to the right*
*to decipher correct address to reply by email*

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by tboar.. » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>Smartsuite 96 for Warp is available now. (Completely revamped versions
>of WordPro and *. They gave up on the really idiosyncratic version
>of 123 for OS/2, and are bundling some Win16 stuff (123, Approach,
>Organizer) with it instead.)

Revamped how?  It seems almost entirely identical to the Winxx version
that has been available since mid-1995. (Not that I mind it being identical,
I actually am glad the program works the same on different platforms.)

Quote:>The Fixpak for Warp 4 has been available on an as-needed basis since
>(at least) early December 1996. It is designed to 'fix' specific problems
>(like needing the new api stuff used by Smartsuite 96) and is freely-
>available from IBM upon request.

You must have some sort of special contract with IBM.  I called a few weeks
ago to request the Fixpak so I could run SmartSuite.  They put me on a list
and said it was not yet available.  They would not provide an estimated
shipping date.

I certainly don't want to spread FUD, but are you spreading overly-
enthusiastic but false information?

Tom Boardman

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Sandy Ma » Sun, 09 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>>Smartsuite 96 for Warp is available now. (Completely revamped versions
>>of WordPro and *. They gave up on the really idiosyncratic version
>>of 123 for OS/2, and are bundling some Win16 stuff (123, Approach,
>>Organizer) with it instead.)

>Revamped how?  It seems almost entirely identical to the Winxx version

Since this is the comp.os.os2.apps group, I was referring to 'revamped' compared to the previous Smartsuite for OS/2.

Quote:>>The Fixpak for Warp 4 has been available on an as-needed basis since
>>(at least) early December 1996. It is designed to 'fix' specific problems
>>(like needing the new api stuff used by Smartsuite 96) and is freely-
>You must have some sort of special contract with IBM.

Nope, just another Warp licensee.

Quote:>  I called a few weeks
>ago to request the Fixpak so I could run SmartSuite.  They put me on a list
>and said it was not yet available.  They would not provide an estimated
>shipping date.

IBM is a rather large organization. Did you call the right number?
Check out http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:>I certainly don't want to spread FUD, but are you spreading overly-
>enthusiastic but false information?

[sigh] Please point out where I have posted 'false information' and it will be corrected.

SmartSuite/2 '97 has a September 1997 release in Canada?

Post by Gyorgy Vizkelet » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

:>
:>
:>The Fixpak for Warp 4 has been available on an as-needed basis since (at least) early December
:>1996. It is designed to 'fix' specific problems (like needing the new api stuff used by
:>Smartsuite 96) and is freely-available from IBM upon request.
:>

If it is/was available on an as-needed basis why did not
they put it on the SS96/2 CD? That definitely needs the
fixpack, since it does not even install without it. So the
SS96/2 CD qualifies for this "as needed bases" better than
anything else. Why does IBM want everybody who bought SS96/2
to call them to get the fixpack? It is the dumbest thing I
have ever heard (not what you said but what IBM is doing).
Also if it has been available since December, why did not
they put it on the SS96/2 CD which was released in January?
They had no trouble putting the unsupported, prerelease of
WordPro on the application sampler of Warp 4. If they had
the fixpack, they could have put it on the SS96/2 CD with a
note something like that:
"This is just a beta release, no support provided." This way
they could have saved a lot of frustration on our behalf and
money on their behalf what they spent for all the 800 number
calls and shipping the fixpack to those who ordered it. IBM
is doing again something that upsets their remaining loyal
customers.

Gy* Vizkelethy