MOH and CID

Post by Erick Andrew » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:52:41

Does anyone know of any OS/2 software that will control
Modem On Hold and Caller ID with the newer v.92/v.44
modems?

MOH and CID are part of the v.92 standards from what I
understand from the ITU.

--
Best,
Erick Andrews

MOH and CID

Post by The Real OS/2 Gu » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 14:37:49

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:52:41 UTC, "Erick Andrews"

> Does anyone know of any OS/2 software that will control
> Modem On Hold and Caller ID with the newer v.92/v.44
> modems?

> MOH and CID are part of the v.92 standards from what I
> understand from the ITU.

For that I use Cantaloup since 5 years as it handles not only any
modem but ISDN too. It catches my FAXes with frec too. The modem speed
doesn't matter so long it is already an real modem and not only
something called winmodem.

For internet ISDNPM (as eConNet included in eCS 1.1 for free) works
nearly the same time.

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

eComStation 1.1 Deutsch wird jetzt ausgeliefert!

MOH and CID

Post by Erick Andrew » Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:39:20

> On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 18:52:41 UTC, "Erick Andrews"

> > Does anyone know of any OS/2 software that will control
> > Modem On Hold and Caller ID with the newer v.92/v.44
> > modems?

> > MOH and CID are part of the v.92 standards from what I
> > understand from the ITU.

> For that I use Cantaloup since 5 years as it handles not only any
> modem but ISDN too. It catches my FAXes with frec too. The modem speed
> doesn't matter so long it is already an real modem and not only
> something called winmodem.

> For internet ISDNPM (as eConNet included in eCS 1.1 for free) works
> nearly the same time.

Herbert,

Where can I find it?

Hobbes and Google turned up nothing.

--
Best,
Erick Andrews

MOH and CID

Post by The Real OS/2 Gu » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:38:15

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:39:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"

> > For internet ISDNPM (as eConNet included in eCS 1.1 for free) works
> > nearly the same time.

> Herbert,

> Where can I find it?

Hm, strange!
I went to google.de, lets it search for isdnpm and gets lots of hits!

You needs a key to get it working. A free test key (gives you a trial
period of 30 days) is available from
http://www.isdnpm.de/
The ohome of ISDNPM.

http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/~benedict/os2/isdnpm/ - german
only
http://www.prog-link.com/isdnpmrm/       - isdnpm monitor; control isdnpm
remote
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/isdnpm/

and many more....

eConNet is on eCS CD #2.

Or were you meaning cantaloup? Google helps here with
http://www.uni-essen.de/tts/lehrangebot/FIDO/dat13.htm
and more, even english groups.

--

Post by Erick Andrew » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 03:33:37

> On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:39:20 UTC, "Erick Andrews"

> > > For internet ISDNPM (as eConNet included in eCS 1.1 for free) works
> > > nearly the same time.

> > Herbert,

> > Where can I find it?

> Hm, strange!
> I went to google.de, lets it search for isdnpm and gets lots of hits!

> You needs a key to get it working. A free test key (gives you a trial
> period of 30 days) is available from
> http://www.isdnpm.de/
> The ohome of ISDNPM.

> http://userpage.chemie.fu-berlin.de/~benedict/os2/isdnpm/    - german
> only
> http://www.prog-link.com/isdnpmrm/  - isdnpm monitor; control isdnpm
> remote
> http://groups.yahoo.com/group/isdnpm/

> and many more....

> eConNet is on eCS CD #2.

> Or were you meaning cantaloup? Google helps here with
> http://www.uni-essen.de/tts/lehrangebot/FIDO/dat13.htm
> and more, even english groups.

Hi Herbert...

Thanks for the URLs.  I was looking for "cantaloup" to find out what
it does, but didn't find it.  Also, the URL  "www.uni-essen.de...." you
mentioned above was unaccessable for me.  It timed out.  I'll try later.

Anyways, I think we are not talking about the same thing.  ISDN, as I
recall from many years ago, supports separate channels, one which
may be a voice channel concurrent with data transfer on another channel.
This is not the same thing as V.92 Modem On Hold (MOH) which is
VoiceBand access over the dial-up PSTN (Public Switched Telephone
Network).

V.92 defines a separate class of dial-up modems (services), that are
now appearing on the market from companies like Zoom, USR and others.

The ITU press release about the standard can be found here:

http://www.itu.int/newsarchive/press_releases/./2000/14.html

Here are some FAQ's about V.92/V.44...

http://www.smoken.org/tech/v92/modemonhold.html
http://www.v92.com/about/

..and here's another reference on Zoom's website:

http://www.zoom.com/products/v92_overview.html

As you can see, these standards and protocols are not part of any
ISDN method, as far as I can figure out.

Also, because I have used InJoy for years, I recently communicated with
directly with Bjarne Jensen at F/X Communications in Denmark about
possible support for V.92 in his product.  His reply to me was that there
is no local support for it in his area, so I wonder that maybe most of the
market is mainly in North America.  He *may* add support in the future,
but I'd like to have something working on OS/2 now.

My ISP (http://www.ttlc.net) has many V.92 telephone numbers across the
U.S.A., and I'm sure there are other ISPs offering the same.

The Zoom external modem I bought a few weeks ago came with support
for Windoze boxes, but of course, those diallers won't work for me.  Yes,
it's a bit faster than my old V.90 modem, but I'd really like to have MOH, too.

Most home users in the U.S. still use PSTN access to the Internet because it's
considerably cheaper than a persistent connection like cable modem or DSL,
and still cheaper than getting another phone line.  Further, the V.92 modems are
cheap.  About US$50.

I haven't figured out if maybe some start-up script could be written to enable the
MOH feature while still using a current dialler like InJoy.  Anybody know?
I think that the dialler would want exclusive access to the COM port, though,
and even if you could "fool" the dialler, it's probably not an elegant solution.
Maybe there's an OpenSource solution that could be ported to OS/2??????

--
Best,
Erick Andrews

MOH and CID

Post by The Real OS/2 Gu » Wed, 15 Oct 2003 16:48:17

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 18:33:37 UTC, "Erick Andrews"

> Hi Herbert...

> Thanks for the URLs.  I was looking for "cantaloup" to find out what
> it does, but didn't find it.  Also, the URL  "www.uni-essen.de...." you
> mentioned above was unaccessable for me.  It timed out.  I'll try later.

Cantaloup is a FTN mailer, like binkley. It uses the same type of
outbound, so switch from one to the other is quite easy. Cantaloup is
an OS/2 PM program. so instead to have fullscreen or VIO windows you
have a PM window for each line.

It uses P2P connection via any kind of modem you can think of and via
CAPI any kind of ISDN. I use it beside that as FAX receiver via frec
(comes in FAX116 from Harald Pollack). Whereas the modem line hooks on
the modem and waits for connect. The modem telli it: 'Hey, here is a
FAX on the other end! What should I do?' Cantaloup then calls frec
with the already open connection, frec receives the FAX, sends an
email to the node and saves the FAX to be ready to view with Faxview
(same package).

Quote:> Anyways, I think we are not talking about the same thing.  ISDN, as I
> recall from many years ago, supports separate channels, one which
> may be a voice channel concurrent with data transfer on another channel.
> This is not the same thing as V.92 Modem On Hold (MOH) which is
> VoiceBand access over the dial-up PSTN (Public Switched Telephone
> Network).

I don't think so. Look, I'm using 3 different connection types:

- modem (Microlink 28.8TQV)
  1. FAX receiver behind a FTN modem line
  2. internet access as last backup (ISDNPM)
  3. analoge line in FIDONet (cantaloup line 1)
  1+3 in parallel
- ISDN
  internet access in backup in case DSL falls out - as it has often
the first years
  2 lines in FIDONet (cantaloup line 2 + 3) through CAPI (1.1 or 2.0)
- DSL (ISDNPM)
  regular internet access (23h 59m 59s dayly)
  FIDONet Binkd (as I have only a dynamic IP and can't find the time
to setup
  me at dyndns I use it only to poll my uplink.

So I think, I should well known the differences between modem, ISDN
and DSL

Quote:> V.92 defines a separate class of dial-up modems (services), that are
> now appearing on the market from companies like Zoom, USR and others.

I'd looked in the fido nodelist; there is currently no node listed
that uses v92, even as there are may using V90 and V42bis only or in
parallel to other connection types.

Quote:> The ITU press release about the standard can be found here:

> http://www.itu.int/newsarchive/press_releases/./2000/14.html

> Here are some FAQ's about V.92/V.44...

> http://www.smoken.org/tech/v92/modemonhold.html
> http://www.v92.com/about/

> ..and here's another reference on Zoom's website:

> http://www.zoom.com/products/v92_overview.html

> As you can see, these standards and protocols are not part of any
> ISDN method, as far as I can figure out.

I'd seen it as a modem protocol anyway.

Quote:> Also, because I have used InJoy for years, I recently communicated with
> directly with Bjarne Jensen at F/X Communications in Denmark about
> possible support for V.92 in his product.  His reply to me was that there
> is no local support for it in his area, so I wonder that maybe most of the
> market is mainly in North America.  He *may* add support in the future,
> but I'd like to have something working on OS/2 now.

It should be no problem using V92 in FIDONet - because as it looks
like $42bis or other prodtocols the only needed would be a flag in the
node?ist to show up that there is a modem ready to connect with V92.

I know of no internet provider her in germany that supports V92 yet,
beause since ISDN and DSL nobody busy a modem.

Quote:> I haven't figured out if maybe some start-up script could be written to enable the
> MOH feature while still using a current dialler like InJoy.  Anybody know?
> I think that the dialler would want exclusive access to the COM port, though,
> and even if you could "fool" the dialler, it's probably not an elegant solution.
> Maybe there's an OpenSource solution that could be ported to OS/2??????

I don't know about injoy, because since I got ISDN I use ISDNPM to
connect the internet with modem (as last fall back), ISDN (fall back)
and DSL.

ISDNPM has a wide possibility to setup a modem to connect to internet.
In contrast to its name it supports all modems and DSL too.

--
Tschau/Bye
Herbert

eComStation 1.1 Deutsch wird jetzt ausgeliefert!

1. CID installation of non CID-enabled products

Is it possible to do a CID installation of applications that aren't
CID enabled from the beginning? For example, how do I install MS DOS,
Windows, Word etc. via CID?

All help appreciated - I'm struggling with a thesis project....

/Henrik

| Henrik Sjostrand  - [Team OS/2] -  Chalmers University of Technology |

| Windws is great fr bckground cmmunictions........................NoT |

2. 68360 bitfield emulator

3. OS/2, RIPL and CID

4. Picture It Publishing 2001

5. IBMAV CID Install Help

6. Explorer Invalid Page Fault

7. How can I use LAN CID Utility with Intel Ethernet Card.

8. FS: New 300Mhz Ultra IIi

9. No printer IRQ with CID install

10. Unable to CID install OS/2 2.1GA, LAN Req and Extended Services

11. CID/Remote install problems across token ring to IBM 350

12. Warp CID install and Video modes -