need a good graphics program

Post by Kevin Dor » Tue, 17 Nov 1992 00:13:43

How's it goin', eh?
I'm looking for a good graphics program, something for sprucing up graphs and
making cool diagrams.   My supervisor does the graphing bit with Gnuplot and
Adobe Illustrator on the NeXT.  I think it is overkill, though.  A really good
2D/3D graphing package would be an alternative.  Any suggestions?

Kevin Dorma                       | Hi, my Lyapunov exponent is 2.31.

Ph.D. type of student             |
Dept. of Chemical Engineering     | Don't look at my disclaimer, your's
University of Alberta             | is much more interesting.
Edmonton, Alberta                 |

need a good graphics program

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Wed, 18 Nov 1992 14:03:59

Quote:>How's it goin', eh?
>I'm looking for a good graphics program, something for sprucing up graphs and
>making cool diagrams.   My supervisor does the graphing bit with Gnuplot and
>Adobe Illustrator on the NeXT.  I think it is overkill, though.  A really good
>2D/3D graphing package would be an alternative.  Any suggestions?

The closest match to what your supervisor is presently doing would be
GNUPlot for OS/2 (available via anonymous ftp from ftp-os2.nmsu.edu)
and CorelDraw 2.5 for OS/2.

However, depending on your needs, you might find that PM Chart
(included with OS/2 2.0) is enough.  I would also look at PM Draw
(which just popped up at ftp-os2.nmsu.edu; filename pmdraw2.zip),
Micrographx Draw for OS/2 (commercial), Lotus * Graphics for
OS/2, and, naturally, any DOS or Windows software.  There is no
shortage of options here.

--
Timothy F. Sipples      | Read the OS/2 FAQ List 2.0g, available from

of Chicago, 60637       | [Read the List, THEN post to ONE OS/2 newsgroup.]

Post by Fritsch_Wolfga » Tue, 17 Nov 1992 16:37:29

>I'm looking for a good graphics program, something for sprucing up graphs and
>making cool diagrams.   My supervisor does the graphing bit with Gnuplot and
>Adobe Illustrator on the NeXT.  I think it is overkill, though.  A really good
>2D/3D graphing package would be an alternative.  Any suggestions?

I am using AXUM by TriMetric, Seattle, WA, for technical graphs like
2D and 3D representations of data. It exists only for DOS but runs
great under OS/2 too. Actually better since OS/2 seems to administer
memory requirements very well for this program. As they say, better Dos
than Dos... The support by the company is also exceptionally well, prompt
reply to inquiries by fax.

Wolfgang Fritsch

Post by tim gre » Thu, 19 Nov 1992 12:01:45

>>I'm looking for a good graphics program, something for sprucing up graphs and
>>making cool diagrams.   My supervisor does the graphing bit with Gnuplot and
>>Adobe Illustrator on the NeXT.  I think it is overkill, though.  A really good
>>2D/3D graphing package would be an alternative.  Any suggestions?

>I am using AXUM by TriMetric, Seattle, WA, for technical graphs like
>2D and 3D representations of data. It exists only for DOS but runs
>great under OS/2 too. Actually better since OS/2 seems to administer
>memory requirements very well for this program. As they say, better Dos
>than Dos... The support by the company is also exceptionally well, prompt
>reply to inquiries by fax.

>Wolfgang Fritsch

I have been using Sigmaplot and Plotit (Scientific Prog. Enterprises, Haslett,
MI (517)339-9859.  Both are DOS packages (sigh) but work under OS/2.
I like Plotit.  It does 2d and 3d, you can adjust anything, and it has a
pretty good poster utility for overhead transparencies, etc.  The owner, Scott
Eisensmith has a history of really friendly educational discounts.

need a good graphics program

Post by Sean P. Frigo UW-Madison SRC (6 » Thu, 19 Nov 1992 12:28:11

The best 2D/3D plotting software with curvefitting ability under $500
and running on an Intel 80386 or higher is MicroCal Origin.  Yes, it
is a Windows app, and yes I meant to put the phrase "in my opinion"
in the first sentence.

MicroCal        800.969.7720

3731 Schneider Drive                                       voice:  (608)877-2332
Stoughton WI 53589-3097                                      fax:  (608)877-2001

1. Any really good graphics programs?

I was looking at a few SGI machines today, and was really impressed.  Of
course, I wasn't all that impressed with the prices...  I was wondering
though, how could I make my machine even somewhat as impressive as those
machines looked?  Well, I can increase my RAM ( 8 -> 20 ), and increase my
processor ( 486 -> Pentium ), and probably upgrade my video card ( ATI
Graphics Vantage -> ?? ).  If anybody else has any suggestions, please make
them!

Anyway, I was most impressed by the graphics that these machines could do!
I was wondering if there are any good graphics programs for OS/2 that can do
3D image manipulation and other really good image modifications (I'm not
talking about something like Corel Draw, either!).  If anybody knows of
anything like this, please let me know!  If not, why doesn't somebody
program these things?  OS/2 would seem to excel at these!  Also, are there
any programs like Video for Windows out for OS/2?  Obviously, I'm a MM
freak!

Timothy Miller

2. Outlook e-mail

3. Good books on PM graphics programming

4. Remote Desktop Sharing Screen Scaling

5. I need a good ISA graphics card for OS/2

6. Where can I get TCPDUMP for HPUX10.01

7. Graphics program needed

8. Pine supporting IMSP

9. WANTED: graphics program for specific need

10. Need OS/2 Power Point or Harvard /Graphics like program

11. Need program to plot X-Y data to graphic file

12. Need OS/2 Power Point or Harvard /Graphics like program