What files does DSPINSTL modify (esp re WIN-OS2)?

What files does DSPINSTL modify (esp re WIN-OS2)?

Post by Giovanni Moret » Tue, 11 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Hi

I'm having a lot of grief getting some chips and technologies drivers to
work with windows inside warp - full screen is ok (eventually), windowed
is not!

The scenario: 486DX2/80, 8M ram, C&T 64300 video card 1MB Dram, win3.11

C&T windows drivers are ok, all resolutions and colour work as expected.

Warp: install as VGA and then use custom install of C&T drivers which
does:

   Copy SVGADATA.PMI from install disk to D:\OS2
   runs DSPINSTL

This brings up a dialog box which usually has SVGA highlighted (even after
I've got the C&T drivers installed).  I select change and then pick
"Chips and Technologies 64300" from the list of available drivers and then
exit the selection box.  AT THIS POINT THE HIGHLIGHTED DRIVER IS SVGA (not
the chosen one)????  Anyway continuing on it does install the higher res
drivers and DOES SOMETHING to the windows directory ???

On reboot, I get 800x600 in 256 colours but windows will ONLY start full
screen and only in 16 colours.

Changing "WINOS2 setup" has no effect - it offers the dialag box,
lets me pick a new resolution and # of colours, restarts windows and behold
- ALWAYS - still at 640x480x16 (an only in full screen).

My supplier suggested changing the "FDISPLAY=" (full screen) and
"SDISPLAY" line inside windows system.ini.  Manually changing
FDISPLAY to the standard windows driver will at give me
640x480x256 using accellerated C&T drivers BUT STILL NO windowed WINOS2
sessions (eg windows ONLY works full screen but now with 256 colours).

I'm getting frustrated, mainly because I can't find out what supposed to
be happening (what files need to be changed/available...).

I assume that OS/2 needs its own driver that WINOS2 is supposed to use
to display windowed sessions.  There are VGA & XGA windows drivers
on the C&T installation diskette, I'm not quite sure that it's using them.

HELP .....

Thanks
Giovanni

Giovanni Moretti       "WHATEVER YOU CAN DO, OR DREAM YOU CAN, BEGIN IT.
Computer Science Dept   BOLDNESS HAS GENIUS, POWER AND MAGIC IN IT" Goethe

Palmerston North, NEW ZEALAND.  Ph +64-6-3569099 Fax +64-6-3505611  ZL2BOI

1. PROGMAN.INI modified by win-os2 crashes win-dos

I have an update to the problem I posted earlier:  Going back to the
pre-fixpack WINOS2.COM does not fix the problem.  The problem was:

Symptom:  Windows under DOS would not start (some kind of fault in PROGMAN
running GDI.EXE offset 0001:4xxx or some such error) after installing fixpack.
Windows works fine under OS2, but you cannot run Windows if you boot your DOS
partition.

Diagnosis: WIN-OS2 modifies PROGMAN.INI display.drv= line using whatever is on
the the fdisplay.drv= line in system.ini.

Any ideas how to fix this other than editing progman.ini every time I switch
from warp to dos boot?

Is replacing display.drv= line in PROGMAN.INI normal behavious for WIN-OS2?

2. Blizzard 2060

3. Configuration of win.ini files in WIN-OS2 and DOS?

4. Subject Missing

5. Modifying associations (esp. txt -> Notepad)

6. Anyone seen Gradius2.nes floating around?

7. INI-File and DOS/Win-OS2

8. Is biff reliable?

9. .ini file error with dos/win-os2

10. File for DOS/WIN-OS2 support needed

11. My DOS-OS2 and WIN-OS2 don't work!!!

12. Any printing slows OS2-DOS and WIN-OS2 to a crawl.

13. DOS, WIN-OS2 won't print!