Why MS wants Quicken (was: Kiss OS/2 Quicken Bye-Bye)

Why MS wants Quicken (was: Kiss OS/2 Quicken Bye-Bye)

Post by Scott Mago » Tue, 18 Oct 1994 08:23:52

Quote:>Well if you had been waiting for Quicken/2 then you can
>stop.  One of the few very popular software packages not
>made by Microsoft was Quicken.  Supposedly an OS/2 version
>was being concidered.  The hope for an Os/2 version was
>dashed today when Microsoft agreed to pay 1.5 billion
>Intuit.  We should all be concerned;  if not because we
>have lost Quicken/2, because a great software company has
>been crushed.  I think a moment of silence is in order...

While Quicken is a very successful product, this is hardly a thumb
of the nose at OS/2.  Microsoft wants very much to be the
"information superhighway" company.  There have already been serious
talks with several banks to provide online services with MS products
as the front-end.  Think how Quicken could fit into this picture.
This acquisition is a big step toward Microsoft domination of
the consumer online market.

Scott

--
That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Opinions expressed = mine.

|        Cruising the information alleyways since 1984.            |

Post by Tom Haapan » Thu, 20 Oct 1994 19:04:22

> I find it highly unlikely that MS will ever be able to convince banks to
> allow telebanking from home machines. There's air gap in between banking
> networks and any external networks, and I don't think -any- quantity of
> M$ marketroid work is going to make the banking industry allow people to
> access banking systems, even indirectly, via modem.

It's interesting to note that banks in Europe have no trouble with people
banking remotely by modem.  Then again, they also make electronic funds
transfers easy in general, practically eliminating the need for using
cheques to pay bills and invoices.

Quote:> However, I -do- forsee that the Macintosh version of Quicken is going to
> rapidly wither and die, [...]

Yeah, just like Macintosh Excel and Macintosh Word.  Microsoft appears to
be totally disinterested in selling anything to the Macintosh market.

--

[ "everything that can be invented has been invented."                       ]
[                        -- charles h. duell, u.s. patent commissioner, 1899 ]

Post by Robert J. Fenn » Fri, 21 Oct 1994 16:11:37

> >While Quicken is a very successful product, this is hardly a thumb
> >of the nose at OS/2.  Microsoft wants very much to be the
> >"information superhighway" company.  There have already been serious
> >talks with several banks to provide online services with MS products
> >as the front-end.  Think how Quicken could fit into this picture.
> >This acquisition is a big step toward Microsoft domination of
> >the consumer online market.

> I find it highly unlikely that MS will ever be able to convince banks to
> allow telebanking from home machines. There's air gap in between banking
> networks and any external networks, and I don't think -any- quantity of
> M$ marketroid work is going to make the banking industry allow people to
> access banking systems, even indirectly, via modem.

> However, I -do- forsee that the Macintosh version of Quicken is going to
> rapidly wither and die, and that the New Improved Windows95 Quicken is
> going to be so bloated as to be almost unsable, like so many other MS apps.

> --
> Christian Wagner -aka- Samuel |                           My zero
>  -aka- The Traveller in Black |              To your power of ten

Actually, there are alot of banks trying allow telebanking. Many
organizations are targeting telebanking as a growth segment.

Robert

Post by Scott Mago » Mon, 24 Oct 1994 05:05:14

>> However, I -do- forsee that the Macintosh version of Quicken is going to
>> rapidly wither and die, [...]

>Yeah, just like Macintosh Excel and Macintosh Word.  Microsoft appears to
>be totally disinterested in selling anything to the Macintosh market.

I don't think so, since they OWN the Mac market.  They just like to
play their little game of stringing Mac users along behind Windows.
It's their way of keeping Apple down while making a bundle of money
from the Mac market.

Scott
--
That's my story and I'm sticking with it. Opinions expressed = mine.

|        Cruising the information alleyways since 1984.            |

1. Kiss OS/2 Quicken Bye-Bye: Microsoft buys Intuit

Well if you had been waiting for Quicken/2 then you can
stop.  One of the few very popular software packages not
made by Microsoft was Quicken.  Supposedly an OS/2 version
was being concidered.  The hope for an Os/2 version was
dashed today when Microsoft agreed to pay 1.5 billion
Intuit.  We should all be concerned;  if not because we
have lost Quicken/2, because a great software company has
been crushed.  I think a moment of silence is in order...

2. Exporting other schema than my own by 'exp'

3. Kiss OS/2 Quicken Bye-Bye: Mic

4. Sony CDU928E-B ; experiences

5. Lotus wants OpenDoc dead --- bye-bye Lotus!

6. Anyone with a DKB wildfire?

7. Brian, Win95, OS/2, Stardock, Bye-Bye c.o.o.a

8. C6578D refill success for HP9xx

9. Saying bye-bye to WIN-OS/2, how?

10. Bye-Bye OS/2

11. New Bye-bye Reiswig Rumors