backup print servers

Post by Mike Waterhou » Tue, 24 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Our system at work  consists of seven IBM servers running lanserver with
14 network printers ( each server handles print ques for two ethernet
connected printers) . Our problem is that when one of the servers goes
down the users assigned to the printers on that box cannot print.  Is
there a way to assign backup print servers on Lan Server avoid this
problem ( similar to the BDC's)

1. Print servers and printing in general

Has anyone actually got an external print server to work with Warp?

I have one warp box, one ECS box and one solaris box
I also have a netgear ps104 hub which is 4 RJ45 and a parallel socket.
The printer is a HP laserjet 4L

The hub can function as a LPD server.

1) Printing ASCII text from either os2 box works but each print job is preceded by a page

2) Printing from the solaris box works for ASCII text but does not produce the extra page.

3) Neither OS can write anything that is graphical - printer either prints nothing or a couple of
reams of hex data.

4) I tried lprmon instead of lprportd and that prints ASCII & graphical data but the quality is
absolute crap.

5) Would I be better of trying a PS printer? Or, as I am inclined to do, forget the whole thing? :-)

TIA

Regards

Dave Saville

NB switch saville for nospam in address

2. Mouse programming faq

3. Printing from OS/2 client to Solaris 2.3 print server

4. mosy help

5. LPR printing to Linux print server

6. Help about lan card

7. Printing to a Print Server

8. How can WARP print to a WFWG print server?

9. Warp Server and TCP/IP Print server

10. NT as a Print Server in an OS/2 Warp Server domain

11. Warp Server & TCP/IP Print Server

12. IS IBM PSnS OK for Warp 4.0 non-Server tape backup?