From zero to Warp to zero

Post by jrdem.. » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

In April I did something daring - I bought OS/2 Warp and installed it on my
machine with Windows 3.11. It took sometime to get it working the way that I
wanted (some time means 4 reloads and a couple of weeks of
hair-tearing-out-swearing-late-nights), but once I figured it out I really
liked it. However, I just didn't have enough memory (8 megs) to run two OS's
and the apps. that I wanted. So I had to remove Warp pending a memory upgrade.
Now, I am upgrading to 16 Megs AND purchasing a computer for my wife.

Back to Warp Speed!

Obviously, I will need to network the two machines together. What? OS/2 Warp
Connect is $145? But a Windows for Workgroups upgrade is only $33! Hey, IBM,
are you going to offer competitive pricing for those of us allready Warped?

Does anyone know of any deals on an upgrade to Warp Connect? Or will I be stuck
in the slow lane?

JD

P.S. Allready contacted IBM they claim that it is not possible to upgrade, but
that you have to purchase the whole new product.

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by pcgu.. » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

|Now, I am upgrading to 16 Megs AND purchasing a computer for my wife.
|
|Back to Warp Speed!
|
|Obviously, I will need to network the two machines together. What? OS/2 Warp
|Connect is $145? But a Windows for Workgroups upgrade is only $33! Hey, IBM,
|are you going to offer competitive pricing for those of us allready Warped?
|
|Does anyone know of any deals on an upgrade to Warp Connect? Or will I be stuck
|in the slow lane?
|
|JD
|
|P.S. Allready contacted IBM they claim that it is not possible to upgrade, but
|that you have to purchase the whole new product.

There _WAS_ an upgrade program when Warp Connect first shipped that would
have netted you a $50 rebate when upgrading from Warp and $25 when upgrading
from any other OS/2 version. Unfortunately, this upgrade was not open ended.

As for competitiveness with WfWG, Warp Connect does things that WfWG cannot
like sharing serial ports (modems). Warp Connect also includes clients for
most popular NOS's whereas with WfWG these are extra cost.

Phil "Guido" Cava   TeamOS/2
Help, PC!
Let us help you achieve Warp Speed today!

****  Got 'started up' LONG ago, now I'm CONNECTed!

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by Bernard B. Y » Mon, 04 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[snip]
: Obviously, I will need to network the two machines together. What? OS/2 Warp
: Connect is $145? But a Windows for Workgroups upgrade is only $33! Hey, IBM,

I was also disappointed by the high price at first, but once I realized
that Warp Connect includes:
        talk daemon
        ftp daemon
        telnet daemon
        and lots of other stuff that isn't advertised...

it turns out that Warp Connect is a bargain.  I guess the problem is
greater for those people who have no use for some of the undocumented
accessories.  Maybe IBM should offer a bare-bones version of Warp
Connect and offer the extras as an add-on.  But then again maybe Warp
non-Connect is the bare-bones version of Warp Connect.  It does come
with TCP/IP 2.0.

Which specific features of Warp Connect did you need?

*         Bernard B. Yoo           *          Wiess College           *

*      TeamOS/2 since 10/95        *        Houston, TX 77005         *

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by Christopher Roba » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

s:
:>
:>[snip]
:>: Obviously, I will need to network the two machines together. What? OS/2 Warp
:>: Connect is $145? But a Windows for Workgroups upgrade is only $33! Hey, IBM,
:>
:>I was also disappointed by the high price at first, but once I realized
:>that Warp Connect includes:
:>   talk daemon
:>   ftp daemon
:>   telnet daemon
:>   and lots of other stuff that isn't advertised...

There are also plenty of Unix style TCP/IP utilities like sendmail.

Warp Connect also has the ability to route NetBIOS/NetBEUI through TCP/IP
using the AnyNet feature that comes with it.

:>
:>it turns out that Warp Connect is a bargain.  I guess the problem is
:>greater for those people who have no use for some of the undocumented
:>accessories.  Maybe IBM should offer a bare-bones version of Warp
:>Connect and offer the extras as an add-on.  But then again maybe Warp
:>non-Connect is the bare-bones version of Warp Connect.  It does come
:>with TCP/IP 2.0.

But it does not have LAN networking.  I have heard of something called
FreeTCP that modifies the TCP/IP in plain Warp to have LAN networking.

:>
:>Which specific features of Warp Connect did you need?
:>
:>--
:>***********************************************************************
:>*         Bernard B. Yoo           *          Wiess College           *

:>*      TeamOS/2 since 10/95        *        Houston, TX 77005         *
:>***********************************************************************

And don't forget, the free TN3270 and TN5250 emulators.  Would you know how
much one of these alone would be worth seperately, like let's say, Windows?
Probably more than the cost of Warp Connect itself.

The Notes Express can be worth another $99.

Rgds,

Chris

*>>>Brought to you by Warp Connect and IBM TCP/IP 3.0<<<*

       ***>>> TEAM OS/2 <<<>>> TEAM SAILOR MOON <<<***
"Seiki no Senshi, Sailor Fuku bishoujo senshi, Sailor Venus!"
        "Sanjyo Yo!"---Minako Aino, Code na wa Sailor V!

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by Theodore Haini » Thu, 07 Dec 1995 04:00:00

[snip]
|> :>it turns out that Warp Connect is a bargain.  I guess the problem is
|> :>greater for those people who have no use for some of the undocumented
|> :>accessories.  Maybe IBM should offer a bare-bones version of Warp
|> :>Connect and offer the extras as an add-on.  But then again maybe Warp
|> :>non-Connect is the bare-bones version of Warp Connect.  It does come
|> :>with TCP/IP 2.0.
|>
|> But it does not have LAN networking.  I have heard of something called
|> FreeTCP that modifies the TCP/IP in plain Warp to have LAN networking.

No LAN support?  What about all the Lan Manager support?  OK, there may
not be an ODI(?) stack there... but I use Connect for TCP/IP (PPP) stuff
anyhow.

                                        ->Ted.

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by Christopher Roba » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:ing) writes:

:>

:>[snip]
:>|> :>it turns out that Warp Connect is a bargain.  I guess the problem is
:>|> :>greater for those people who have no use for some of the undocumented
:>|> :>accessories.  Maybe IBM should offer a bare-bones version of Warp
:>|> :>Connect and offer the extras as an add-on.  But then again maybe Warp
:>|> :>non-Connect is the bare-bones version of Warp Connect.  It does come
:>|> :>with TCP/IP 2.0.
:>|>
:>|> But it does not have LAN networking.  I have heard of something called
:>|> FreeTCP that modifies the TCP/IP in plain Warp to have LAN networking.
:>|>
:>
:>No LAN support?  What about all the Lan Manager support?  OK, there may
:>not be an ODI(?) stack there... but I use Connect for TCP/IP (PPP) stuff
:>anyhow.
:>
:>                                   ->Ted.

I was talking about the non-Connect Warp.  I have the Warp Connect itself
here and know pretty much what it has (and what it should have, like
Communications Manager/2 for free.)

Rgds,

Chris

*>>>Brought to you by Warp Connect and IBM TCP/IP 3.0<<<*

       ***>>> TEAM OS/2 <<<>>> TEAM SAILOR MOON <<<***
"Seiki no Senshi, Sailor Fuku bishoujo senshi, Sailor Venus!"
        "Sanjyo Yo!"---Minako Aino, Code na wa Sailor V!

From zero to Warp to zero

Post by Matt I » Sat, 09 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>Obviously, I will need to network the two machines together. What? OS/2 Warp
>Connect is $145? But a Windows for Workgroups upgrade is only $33! Hey, IBM,
>are you going to offer competitive pricing for those of us allready Warped?

Would you also expect Jaguar to offer a "competitive upgrade" price to
match the price of a Geo Metro when you upgrade from your skateboard?

We're talking two VERY different animals here...

Quote:>P.S. Allready contacted IBM they claim that it is not possible to upgrade, but
>that you have to purchase the whole new product.

There is an upgrade price from older versions of OS/2.

 Your friend and mine,
 Matt

            ---***  NOTE: Windows 95 Fixpack now available!  ***---
        See http://www.austin.ibm.com/pspinfo/drk95.html for more info!

       Opinions expressed do not necessarily reflect those of Next Level
    Productions, or anyone else of sound mind from this planet or dimension!

1. Approach for Warp 4 Tries to divide by zero

I was trying to create a report, I had selected the blank layout, then
selected done, then approach crashed. The OS/2 error message was:

SYS3184
Integer divide by zero at 000597c1

The cause was APPROACH.EXE 0001:00497c1

This happened twice on the database I was trying to work with.  It has
since happened on other small data bases.  The error messages and
program locations were the same both times. Any ideas as to what the
problem is? I can't use this program if it crashes when I try to create
a simple phone list.

2. problem with [(control meta delete)]

3. Microsoft's Vulnerability (was Re: Gates zero contribution to the

4. LaserWriter IInt (same model as HP II / III)

5. Microsoft's Vulnerability (was Re: Gates zero contribution to

6. Where is Mishawaka font in OSX

7. Divide by Zero Error when using IBM Works Planner

8. IBM language support reaches zero

9. The Zero Cost F/X Solution to LGS

10. Integer Divide by Zero / Floating Point

11. Divide By Zero error in win/os2

12. MS-Kermit divide by zero error in DOS window