Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by Michael Strass » Thu, 15 Jul 1993 10:07:37

I have recently cross-graded from Excel 3.0 for OS/2 to 1-2-3 2.0 for OS/2
and have mixed feelings about it.

Firstly I must say that 1-2-3 does work and can do most of the things the
manuals say it does.

1-2-3 is poorly-behaved in two areas.  Its startup screen hogs the message
queue.  I know that OS/2 should have (and will have) multiple message
queues, but it is bad PM programming to hog the queue like that.
Secondly, it uses non-standard menu and dialog formats.  This is not a
real problem, but I'm not sure that it is necessary.

My major complaint is that 1-2-3 is a terrible memory hog.  It dies without
warning if the partition with SWAPPER.DAT runs out of space.  The manual
says that you get a warning -- you don't, so save often.  My swap partition
has 8 meg free: I am astounded when 1-2-3 dies (presumably because of memory
problems) with only one worksheet, 85K in size, open.  It can die without
warning at any time.  (By the way, I'm not running any other applications
except for a few small utilities.)  The system is an ISA 486/33 with 8M of
memory.

I am not able to print anything -- not even a small range of cells.

I have spoken to Lotus tech support here in Australia who suggested that I
re-install the program.  It didn't help at all.  I do have all the fixes.
I will get back to them.  Does Lotus have E-mail tech support anywhere?

Has anyone else had such bad luck, or better luck?

--

Faculty of Education
Griffith University

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by 96.. » Thu, 15 Jul 1993 23:27:19

        Incidentally, does anyone know the cost of a 1.1 ->
2.0 upgrade?

Kyle

U.S. Postal:    S.U. 1148
                Williams College
                Williamstown, MA  01267

Post by Paul Gom » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 01:50:03

>My swap partition
>has 8 meg free: I am astounded when 1-2-3 dies (presumably because of memory
>problems) with only one worksheet, 85K in size, open.
>The system is an ISA 486/33 with 8M of memory.

8 meg free for swap on a machine with 8 meg RAM?  You're pushing your luck.
I have 16 meg of RAM and a 9 meg swap file right now.

Quote:>I am not able to print anything -- not even a small range of cells.

A somewhat related point.  I installed 1-2-3 on a machine without a
printer.  After firing up 1-2-3, it poped up a dialog box complaining that
there was not printer (no kidding).  I clicked the "OK" button, the dialog
box disappeared for about 1 second and reappeared.  Nothing, short of
closing 1-2-3, could get rid of this dialog box.

Called up Lotus support.  They suggested that I "install" a printer (i.e.,
lie to OS/2).  Worked like a charm.

Paul Gomme

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by Robert Newl » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 06:00:45

I don't think the problem is memory.  My Lotus for OS/2 continues to end
suddenly and I just upgraded to 16M RAM and 30M Swap space.  Lotus tech
support said they had never heard of such and implied they didn't
believe that it was Lotus and not a flakey system.  I enjoy using OS/2,
but from my experience with them so far, not many Lotus products will
remain on my system.

Bob

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Fri, 16 Jul 1993 06:01:21

>I have recently cross-graded from Excel 3.0 for OS/2 to 1-2-3 2.0 for OS/2
>and have mixed feelings about it.
>Firstly I must say that 1-2-3 does work and can do most of the things the
>manuals say it does.
>1-2-3 is poorly-behaved in two areas.  Its startup screen hogs the message
>queue.  I know that OS/2 should have (and will have) multiple message
>queues, but it is bad PM programming to hog the queue like that.
>Secondly, it uses non-standard menu and dialog formats.  This is not a
>real problem, but I'm not sure that it is necessary.

The non-standard menus you can cure by setting "CUA Menus."  It's
buried in one of the menu selections (Preferences?).

I don't think you can do anything about the non-standard dialogs.

As for hogging the message queue, Lotus wanted to force you to read
the sign on message.  They've caught a lot of heat for that.

Quote:>I am not able to print anything -- not even a small range of cells.
>I have spoken to Lotus tech support here in Australia who suggested that I
>re-install the program.  It didn't help at all.  I do have all the fixes.
>I will get back to them.  Does Lotus have E-mail tech support anywhere?

Printing is a little strange (and non-standard).  When you bring up
the print dialog, select a range of cells, and hit Go, nothing seems
to happen.  Hit the Quit button, and then the print job will be
spooled.  Hit Go the number of times you want something printed -- one
job will be generated for each press.  If you select Cancel, no jobs
will be printed.  (I may have the button names mixed up, but that's
the general idea.)

Strange, isn't it?

--
Timothy F. Sipples       |READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.1B, available from

of Chicago, 60637        |[Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

Post by Denis Cheo » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 00:43:35

: I don't think you can do anything about the non-standard dialogs.

Perhaps we could start complaining to Lotus about it ?  It is pretty
poor isn't it ... I have never seen the CUA manual but I think there
should be some sort of consistency here.  Excel's dialog boxes are
semi-logical I must admit, but they're far from perfect still.  Lotus
123 for OS/2 is simply daft.  It's a good program though.

: As for hogging the message queue, Lotus wanted to force you to read
: the sign on message.  They've caught a lot of heat for that.

I've never tried it but would setting the option in the OS/2 System ->
Setup -> System -> Application sign-on message off do anything? Probably
not...

: Printing is a little strange (and non-standard).  When you bring up
: the print dialog, select a range of cells, and hit Go, nothing seems

It's better to select the cells before bringing up the print dialogue.
I find the easiest thing to do is to minimise the worksheet and then
drag the icon to the printer ... messy but it works.

  Denis Cheong                                   |        `Today I am

  University of Western Australia                |        Like a marble
  Nedlands, WA                                   |          or an eye'

Post by Ed Geragh » Sat, 17 Jul 1993 01:26:03

>It's better to select the cells before bringing up the print dialogue.
>I find the easiest thing to do is to minimise the worksheet and then
>drag the icon to the printer ... messy but it works.

Another thing that Blows with 1-2-3 is that is when you click on spreadsheets
it doesn't check to see if Lotus is already running. It opens up another
lotus with another logo screen... Also I've always hated the print
controls for lotus(page/go/quit) it remeinds me of antique versions
of 1-2-3.

Ed G
Ed Geraghty                         |  "There is no true escape - I am watching
Systems Manager                     |   all the time..." - JP "Electric Eye"
Albert Einstein College of Medicine |
Dynamic Brain Imaging Lab           |  "Whenever you dream, you're holding a
Bronx, NYC 10461                    |   key. It opens a door to let you be

Post by Timothy I Mill » Mon, 19 Jul 1993 10:49:04

>    Incidentally, does anyone know the cost of a 1.1 ->
>2.0 upgrade?
>Kyle

     $50 for an educational upgrade, more if it's a regular upgrade (I think
it's $75 or $100).  Make sure you go to an educational reseller.

Timothy Miller

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Tue, 20 Jul 1993 00:36:35

Quote:>>        Incidentally, does anyone know the cost of a 1.1 ->
>>2.0 upgrade?
>     $50 for an educational upgrade, more if it's a regular upgrade (I think
>it's $75 or $100).  Make sure you go to an educational reseller.

In the United States the educational reseller for all Lotus products
is Douglas Stewart Co.  I don't have their 800 number, but it should
be available by calling 800-555-1212 or by asking Lotus.

--
Timothy F. Sipples       |READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.1B, available from

of Chicago, 60637        |[Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by Michael Strass » Tue, 20 Jul 1993 10:02:53

I started all of this so I will conclude it (I hope).

Firstly, I'm getting to like 1-2-3, which is now working OK (I think so, but
I haven't run it long enough to really test it).

The "sudden death" problem seems to have gone away.  Lotus tech support
here in Oz suggested re-installing the OS after re-formatting its
partition.  So I did that and, after re-installing 1-2-3 again it all
seems to work better (two hours later :-).  BTW, I am using 2.0GA + SP
because I don't have 2.1 yet.  I now have more swap space because I didn't
install Win-OS2 (which I don't need).  Printing now works OK (on a quick
test) as well.

My reference to non-standard menus was actually to the way they go into
reverse video (kind-of) instead of the OS/2-standard "pressed-in" look.  I
don't know that they need to do that.

Thanks to everyone for their comments -- both to the net and to me
directly.  I can now try and earn some money using 1-2-3.

--

Faculty of Education
Griffith University

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by John Patrick Lestra » Fri, 23 Jul 1993 00:14:45

I have got to add my two cents worth!  Am I the only person left who
dislikes the new graphical look to spreadheets?  I found the original
1-2-3 very easy to use with the numeric keypad (end-down, etc).  A mouse
is great for drawing progs like * but it gets in
my way in a spreadsheet.

On top of that the 1-2-3 v2 for os/2 is incredibly slow! (486/66mhz!)
When I ask for a graph, I don't want to stare at an hourglass ((The
latter
is NOT a misnomer :-)
patrick

thanks, I feel better.

--
John Patrick Lestrade
cnesta::lestrade  or SSL::lestrade

Lotus 1-2-3 v 2.0 for OS/2 problems

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Fri, 23 Jul 1993 01:24:27

Quote:>I have got to add my two cents worth!  Am I the only person left who
>dislikes the new graphical look to spreadheets?  I found the original
>1-2-3 very easy to use with the numeric keypad (end-down, etc).  A mouse
>is great for drawing progs like * but it gets in
>my way in a spreadsheet.
>On top of that the 1-2-3 v2 for os/2 is incredibly slow! (486/66mhz!)
>When I ask for a graph, I don't want to stare at an hourglass ((The
>latter is NOT a misnomer :-)

I sometimes feel that way.  I have Lotus 1-2-3 3.0* around when
I want to use a character mode spreadsheet, and it does move quickly.
Did you know 1-2-3 3.0 is both a DOS and native OS/2 application?
Under OS/2 you can create enormous spreadsheets without worrying about
running out of (virtual) memory (although Lotus permits a CONFIG.SYS
setting to limit the amount of virtual memory it uses).