power management

Post by John Vare » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 03:27:49

> I've never been able to get power management to work on my system (Warp
> 4.5, now), and, from what I've been told, it isn't worth the effort to do,
> as it often doesn't work properly.

I couldn't get it to work, either, but I discovered the secret, at least with
the Award BIOS.  Remove all references to APM from your CONFIG.SYS, then
select power management in the BIOS set-up options (I forget the exact BIOS
menu option, but it's pretty obvious.  If anyone wants to know I'll boot into
set-up and determine exactly what I selected).  Let the BIOS do its thing and
don't let the software interfere.

It works like a charm in both OS/2 FP14 and eCS Preview.

--
    John Varela

power management

Post by pa.. » Thu, 08 Feb 2001 20:48:33

> I've never been able to get power management to work on my system (Warp
> 4.5, now), and, from what I've been told, it isn't worth the effort to do,
> as it often doesn't work properly.  My system is up 24 hours, because I
> still run a bbs, plus I was told 24 hour operation is better for the
> system than turning it on and off (could be wrong.)  Anyway, my question
> is this:  is it okay to turn my monitor off while the rest of the system
> is running?

Doing so should not do any harm to the system.

However, there is a useful screen blanker which will put any DPMS
capable monitor into suspend mode, whetehr power saving is eabled in
the machine BIOS or not

BLACK100.ZIP - should be on hobbes.

paul.

--
paul marwick - Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, UK
remove the numbers for e-mail

power management

Post by Charles Christacopoulo » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 04:23:34

> I've never been able to get power management to work on my system (Warp
> 4.5, now), and, from what I've been told, it isn't worth the effort to do,
> as it often doesn't work properly.  My system is up 24 hours, because I
> still run a bbs, plus I was told 24 hour operation is better for the
> system than turning it on and off (could be wrong.)  Anyway, my question
> is this:  is it okay to turn my monitor off while the rest of the system
> is running?

> Alan

The reason it is arguably better to leave the CPU unit on is that disks
generally are put through more stress on the restart (ie. picking up
rotational speed) than be left rotating all the time.  In the older days more
disks failed on Monday mornings (been there once but after 3 days it worked
and lasted a few more years)

Hot/cold changes can affect electrical contacts etc.

On monitors it is OK (even prefered) to turn them off.  However, modern
monirots degauss every time they are switched on, so turning off and on a
monitor will*it up even destroy it.  Degauss intervals should not be
sooner than 1/2 an hour.  Turn the monitor off, when you know you will not
need it for a while.

In any case, apart from turning the monitor off, the only thing your system
could have been doing is sending the hard disk to sleep (assuming it is IDE).
If your computer is accessible as a server the disk should be running at all
times else the performance would drop.

Hope it helps.
Charles

--

remove "_removeme" to reply.
Charles Christacopoulos, Secretary's Office, University of Dundee,