Good newsreader programs?

Post by Carl Tak » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
Does one exist?  Can I FTP it from Hobbes, or would I need to look
somewhere else?

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

-----------------
Carl Takei

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Ian Pilch » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

:>
:>I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
:>Does one exist?  Can I FTP it from Hobbes, or would I need to look
:>somewhere else?
:>
:>Your help will be greatly appreciated.
:>

The closest thing to what you're looking for is NetSuite News.  It is part of
NetSuite 2.0 (ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/pub/os2/incoming/NSUITE2.ZIP).

It's a very feature-rich newsreader (although its threading is based on
article titles), but unfortunately its not very stable.  Fixes have been
promised RSN for several months now . . .

                              Ian Pilcher
                              Team OS/2 - Lansing, MI

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Eric Veldhuyz » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
>Does one exist?  Can I FTP it from Hobbes, or would I need to look
>somewhere else?

Try trn, it is fast (text oriented) and it supports threads in a very
nice way. There are NNTP and UUPC versions available. I got it from
ftp.leo.org

--
Eric Veldhuyzen                                                   TEAM OS/2

  ************ FIGHT to keep your right to PRIVACY. Use PGP! ************

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Ed Tomlins » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>>I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
>>Does one exist?  Can I FTP it from Hobbes, or would I need to look
>>somewhere else?

>Try trn, it is fast (text oriented) and it supports threads in a very
>nice way. There are NNTP and UUPC versions available. I got it from
>ftp.leo.org

Try combining NR2 with changi09.zip

This way you get offline mail.  Changi sets up a nntp server on your machine.
Another utility in the package (chanx) querys your providers news server for
news and transfers it to changi.  Works very well here.

Ed Tomlinson

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Tymoteusz Altm » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>|I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
>As others have noted, NetSuite has one.  If it worked properly, it would be,
>based on its nominal features, a true killer; it does NOT work properly.

i find it to be a very good newsreader...it is the only product that i have
registered, and i'm very glad i did.

Quote:>PostScript: Besides the true NetSuite2 package on Hobbes (and elsewhere),
>there is a "fixpack" circulating.  As I understand it, that "fixpack" is a
>beta posted by an overenthusiastic supporter/user, and not a posting by the
>NetSuite author himself.  The "fixpack" may be better or, most likely, the
>same or worse in performance.

yes, someone did "release" a fixpack without their approval. it is still
in beta. in fact, there was a bug in the newsreader with the password
authentication which i reported to neologic. they sent me a new build
of the beta which didn't fix the problem. they asked me to send them
a log file, which i did, and the next day i got a brand new build of the
beta which fixed the problem!
they want people to send in their bug reports, suggestions, etc, while
the product is still in beta. they really want to have a release that is
as good as it can be.
i think they are on the right track.

tim

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Eric Walk » Fri, 14 Jul 1995 04:00:00

|I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.

As others have noted, NetSuite has one.  If it worked properly, it would be,
based on its nominal features, a true killer; it does NOT work properly.

It was, rather obviously, rushed to market far too soon.  The author is, by
now, painfully aware of its problems.  At first, there were a couple of quick
fixes that broke more than they fixed.  Now, he has learned, and is taking
some time before the next release.  I have it and use it, albeit with a
grimace, but it beats NR/2, I feel.  IF the NetSuite next upgrade fixes
substantially most of the problems, I and many another will be very happy
with it.  If it does not, we will all need to ride * the author of
PMMAIL to follow through with his rumored intention of also doing a news
reader.

PostScript: Besides the true NetSuite2 package on Hobbes (and elsewhere),
there is a "fixpack" circulating.  As I understand it, that "fixpack" is a
beta posted by an overenthusiastic supporter/user, and not a posting by the
NetSuite author himself.  The "fixpack" may be better or, most likely, the
same or worse in performance.

P.P.S.: The newsreader is part of a multi-app suite (hence the name).  The
ftp is really quite good; the gopher I simply haven't used enough, but I have
seen nothing negative.  There are alos a couple of other tools.  Try it!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Eric Walker
High Boskage House

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Paul M Bla » Tue, 18 Jul 1995 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>

:>>|
[...]

New NetSuite is OUT Today!  Hobbes, BMT Micro, and FTP-CDROM sites,
nns21a.zip. Note the "a" the non "a" version has a bug in the install.

//======================================//

lais - St paul,
MN

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Paul M Bla » Wed, 19 Jul 1995 04:00:00

writes:
:>
:>

:>>|
[...]

Post by joe.. » Fri, 21 Jul 1995 04:00:00

I used NSN (Netsuite News) for quite a while but found it TERRIBLE
buggy. The really bad thing is that version 4 has a lot of new features
but it's as buggy as the old 3.x.
I think Neologic has a major Software Quality problem.

Currently I use Gnus. The program itself is OK, the upcoming (ding)
Gnus - a complete rewrite - is said to be the best Newsreader
ever. The "bad" thing is that Gnus runs only with GNU Emacs. So if you
don't like GNU Emacs...
Emacs is available at Hobbes
--
            pgp |  joerg klemenz

Good newsreader programs?

Post by Peter John De » Sat, 22 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Quote:eldhuyzen) writes:

:>

:>>I am looking for a fast, convenient, threaded PM newsreader for OS/2.
:>>Does one exist?  Can I FTP it from Hobbes, or would I need to look
:>>somewhere else?
:>
:>Try trn, it is fast (text oriented) and it supports threads in a very
:>nice way. There are NNTP and UUPC versions available. I got it from
:>ftp.leo.org
:>

G'day,

        also netsuite has one as well! It's graphic orienated..

Cheers,

        Peter Dean.

/pub/os2/utilities

1. A good newsreader and a good mail program

:>

:>:>I know this question has been asked a million times but, could someone please
:>:>direct me to a good newsreader and or mail program for OS/2. I'm using the
:>
:>Known OS/2 PM Mail and News Programms:
:>PMMAIL, current version 1.1 (My favorite).
:>Post Mail Reader.
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Actually, it is "Post Road Mailer".  :)

Xavier

2. shutdown problems

3. Microsoft joke

4. Weird Programming Problems - errors from good good

5. Bug in Visibroker Java 2.5 with bounded strings?

6. good NEWSREADER for Warp 3?

7. ProNews/2 newsreader - looking good

8. Good newsreader?

9. A good Newsreader

10. Is NewsReader as good as WinVN, Agent or NewsXpress?

11. Are there *any* good OS/2 Newsreaders?