123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

Post by Andy Brush » Fri, 26 Feb 1993 02:07:00

Here is a quick list of my impressions of 123 for OS/2 after a few days of
use.

First, it is annoying that this product will only load on a version that *
reports* itself as being later than the SP.... it will not start on the
beta in the 11/92 PDK.

The load time is incredibly long.  On a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, and no other
processes running, it takes over 10 seconds to get to a blank sheet after
clicking the 123 icon.  This does not compare favorably to running QP 4.0
in a DOS box.

Using 800x600x256 ET4000 graphics, scrolling is not very fast.  When you
drag the "elevator block" to scroll the sheet, the sheet does not scroll
until you release the mouse button.  I would prefer to see the sheet move,
the way text moves in EPM (123 scrolling is like the system editor).  I'm
willing to blame part of the speed on my combo of processor and graphics
mode, but not all of it.  At least, when you're draggin the scroll bar, an
indicator appears to tell you what row or column you'll be in upon
releasing the mouse button.

Cell editing is not "drag-n-drop".  It's easy to select a range using the
cursor, but then you have to either press keys for move or copy (/c and /m)
, or click on a "button-bar" icon for cut or copy.  There's also a button
for paste.  I have not yet investigated the possibility CUA editing
keystrokes... I'm hooked on the buttons.

The default main window menu is the 123 "classic" menu, with access by
either /-type keystrokes, or mousing around.  A CUA-organized menu can be
substituted.  This menu is modal.... picks can vary if you are using, for
example, the graphing tool.

There are too many functions and commands to review.  I'm glad to find the
solver and matrix operations in this release, as I have grown used to
having them in Quattro.

The spreadsheet is truly 3-d, with a "stacked" perspective view available.
I think the Borland method may be better, as a magazine reviewer recently
wrote.  File links are as easy to establish as in Quattro.

The graphics system is very good, compared with 123 v. 3.1 and Quattro Pro
4.0.  It is very easy to move graphical elements around, add notes, change
colors, etc.  A new plot format is ALMOST a polar plot, but unfortunately
isn't.  Lotus retained their restriction of allowing only one set of X
coordinates, rather than letting you plot multiple sets of ordered pairs.
Since * allows the multiple sets, and that's on order, I'm not
worrying too much.

The user manual describes a method for creating OS/2 DLL's which contain
special user functions.  With this available to everyone with a compiler,
I'm expecting some neat engineering add-ins (FFT's anyone?).

I'm basically happy with the spreadsheet, but wish it had a few more
features:

Drag-n-drop editing of cell contents
Real Polar Plots
better scrolling
complex variable cells (if Lotus has heard of complex numbers!)
faster

I hope the upgrade to release 2.1 is very cheap!

Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

You think that's slow.. try Qpro for Windows in OS/2...

Post by Joo C. Chu » Fri, 26 Feb 1993 17:33:29

>>>Here is a quick list of my impressions of 123 for OS/2 after a few days of
>>>use.

>>[SNIP]

>>>The load time is incredibly long.  On a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, and no other
>>>processes running, it takes over 10 seconds to get to a blank sheet after
>>>clicking the 123 icon.  This does not compare favorably to running QP 4.0
>>>in a DOS box.

>>[SNIP]

>>IBM has acknowledged the slow loading and released a patch the same day
>>123 was released. It's called LOTUS3.ZIP and available on
>>software.watson.ibm.com (and probably on Hobbes too).

>>Cheers,
>>Petja.

>Whoops! Posted too soon! The LOTUS3.ZIP is a patch for redrawing
>Lotus 123 windows using the SP. Can someone comment on this? I DO
>remember seeing the slow-load problem discussed somewhere....

>>>Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
>>>NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
>>>"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

>--
>Petja van der Lek, Leidschendam, The Netherlands

>******* Holland: Too many Tulips, Too many Windmills, Too much Windows *******
>-----------------------Try OS/2: You'll like it!------------------------------

The patch for the slow loading is available. It was recently posted to .binaries
and is in the upload directory in hobbes. I believe it is called os2cmd.zip or
something like that.

Joo.

123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

Post by Lek P. van d » Fri, 26 Feb 1993 20:20:14

Quote:>Here is a quick list of my impressions of 123 for OS/2 after a few days of
>use.

[SNIP]

Quote:

Post by Chun H » Fri, 26 Feb 1993 23:41:03

|> >IBM has acknowledged the slow loading and released a patch the same day
|> >123 was released. It's called LOTUS3.ZIP and available on
|> >software.watson.ibm.com (and probably on Hobbes too).
|> >
|> >Cheers,
|> >Petja.
|>
|> Whoops! Posted too soon! The LOTUS3.ZIP is a patch for redrawing
|> Lotus 123 windows using the SP. Can someone comment on this? I DO
|> remember seeing the slow-load problem discussed somewhere....

Are you referring to the updated kernal for the 2.1 beta which was recently
released?  I think it was supposed to cure some slow-loading applications.  I
don't know if this has anything to do with 2.0 though.
--

Chun Hsu
Rochester, MN

The opinions expressed do not reflect the opinions of my employer.

Witty signature deleted.

             /////  /////  /  /////     /////    ///
            /   /  //_    /   __//      __//    / /
           /   /     //  /  //        //         /
          /////  /////  /  /////     ///// // /////

Post by Pierre VonKaen » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 01:03:00

>You think that's slow.. try Qpro for Windows in OS/2...

My Qpro4Win was incredibly slow... until I upped the DPMI to 8MB.  Now
it moves along nicely.  This on a 386/20 w/ 13 MB and on a 486/50 w/
8MB.

Ads from premier issue of PC Tech Journal (Jul 83): 20MB Hard disk from
QCS - Cost: $2999.   Davong 5 MB int. hard disk... only $1465!

Post by Ron Jon » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 01:26:48

>>Here is a quick list of my impressions of 123 for OS/2 after a few days of
>>use.

>[SNIP]

>>The load time is incredibly long.  On a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, and no other
>>processes running, it takes over 10 seconds to get to a blank sheet after
>>clicking the 123 icon.  This does not compare favorably to running QP 4.0
>>in a DOS box.

>[SNIP]

>IBM has acknowledged the slow loading and released a patch the same day
>123 was released. It's called LOTUS3.ZIP and available on
>software.watson.ibm.com (and probably on Hobbes too).

Does this fix address speed issues other than loading? I was disappointed
in the results reported by PCWeek. How can it be 10% of the speed of DOS
123 without some serious bugs?

--

    < The Ohio State University   |    Office:      (614) 292-1665 >
    < Columbus, Ohio 43210        |    FAX: (9-5PM) (614) 292-7151 >

Post by Kurt Olend » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 01:34:27

Lek P. van der writes:

  >>The load time is incredibly long.  On a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, and no other

  >IBM has acknowledged the slow loading and released a patch the same day

   Whoops! Posted too soon! The LOTUS3.ZIP is a patch for redrawing
   Lotus 123 windows using the SP. Can someone comment on this? I DO
   remember seeing the slow-load problem discussed somewhere....

There is a "slow loading" kernel patch for the current 2.1 beta, in file
21KRNL.ZIP.

However, the instructions imply that this is a problem with a number of 16-bit
applications, and so may not apply to the 32-bit version.

123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Sat, 27 Feb 1993 06:17:20

I have been informed that disabling UnDo in the new Lotus applications
for OS/2 2.x can improve performance.  Experiment with this setting to
see what you find.

--
Timothy F. Sipples      | READ the OS/2 FAQ List 2.0j, available from

of Chicago, 60637       | [Post to ONE newsgroup only AFTER reading the List.]

123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

Post by David Charl » Sun, 28 Feb 1993 01:22:36

Quote:

>Does this fix address speed issues other than loading? I was disappointed
>in the results reported by PCWeek. How can it be 10% of the speed of DOS
>123 without some serious bugs?

Disbelieve PCWeek.  They forget that any text-based app (like 1-2-3
for DOS) will be many many times faster than any graphics-based app
(like 1-2-3 for OS/2 and 1-2-3 for Windows).  Especially if they're
using a good-for-nothing frame-buffer video board at 1024x768x256
mode.

Let's see how the speed compares to 1-2-3 for Windows.
--

begin 666 signature.txt

Post by David Shephe » Tue, 02 Mar 1993 20:09:58

: Here is a quick list of my impressions of 123 for OS/2 after a few days of
: use.

: The load time is incredibly long.  On a 386/25 with 8 MB RAM, and no other
: processes running, it takes over 10 seconds to get to a blank sheet after
: clicking the 123 icon.  This does not compare favorably to running QP 4.0
: in a DOS box.

??? is this the problem addressed by the recent replace ment kernel
and DLLs from IBM?

BTW, for people happy to continue using windows based stuff and also
wanting to use what sounds like a pretty interesting new development in
the spreadsheet world, Lotus are doing special introductory offers on
Improv for Windows (at least in the UK its been reported that the
initial price will be GBP 95 rather than the list of GBP 395).

                inmos ltd, 1000 aztec west, almondsbury, bristol, bs12 4sq
                Life doesn't imitate art, it imitates bad television
                                                      - Husbands and Wives

Post by Andy Brush » Wed, 03 Mar 1993 01:54:00

>...the loading time really does not matter. The speed when doing some
>complex calculating (and how the multi-threading works while
>recalculating) should be of more interest.

Agreed.

The time to respond to cell entries in 123/os2 is slower, even on a blank sheet
than Quattro 4.0 in a DOS window.  I will accept the possibility that the
graphics is slowing down 123.  I also admit that I have UNDO turned on in
123, and OFF in Quattro.  The bottom line is that I'd have to type awfully
fast for the response time to be a problem.  123/os2 scrolls much too
slowly in response to the down arrow.  I assume that this is a "feature" of
using cheap ET4000 graphics in 800x600x256 mode on a 386/25 computer.

123 recalcualtes the sheet in the background.  So does Quattro Pro 4.0.  I
think that 123 is faster, without having done a rigorous test.

123 prints in the background.  Quattro Pro does not.  This is particularly
important when printing PostScript graphs, as I do.

Anyone who has used FL for DOS knows that screen redraw is excruciatingly
slow.  FL for OS/2 redraws the screen at an acceptable speed, but not, it
seems, in the background.  There is still a "wait" indicator.

Now that Olav has piqued my interest, I will go home, construct a large
spreadsheet with large numbers of floating-point operations, and see which
is faster (it BETTER be 123)

I have no information on the speed of Windows versions of LOTUS products
running under Windows.

Sverdrup Technology         | 2001 Aerospace Parkway
NASA LeRC Group             | Brook Park, OH 44142
"Opinions are Mine, Only"   | (216) 826-6770

123 for OS/2 release 2.0 first look

Post by Olav Torvu » Tue, 02 Mar 1993 09:37:09

So far, many har commented on the loading-speed for 1-2-3 and FLG. But
since I, and I would think many others, have all the programs we are
using frequently open all the time (but minimized when not in use),
the loading time really does not matter. The speed when doing some
complex calculating (and how the multi-threading works while
recalculating) should be of more interest.

Olav Torvund
University of Oslo
Norway

1. Read OS/2 123 files in Windows 123?

The only way that I know how to do it is to save the file while in OS/2
123 with a *.wk3 extension.  Then you can open it in Win 123 ver 5.
Remember to save as an 8.3 filename and in an 8.3 named directory.

Brad

--
**************************************
 Brad Hubley

**************************************

Sorry folks, but lately I'm getting more junk email
compared to the real stuff, so delete 1 bradh from my
address before replying.

2. UK Plugs, Pinout Needed

3. Ami pro 2.0 and lotus 123 for os/2???

4. Mutual Fund Prices not updating yet again

5. more 123 and FL for OS/2 2.0 review

6. Problems in FCB when compiling MDL in Windows 98/2000

7. SOLVED: Running 123 3.1 under OS/2 2.0

8. Win31 app on Win98SE loses fonts

9. 123/OS2 &123/Win, interchangable WK4 files?

10. 123/Win or 123/2?

11. Entire Lotus Press Release for 123 & FG 2.2

12. Entire Lotus Press Release for 123 & FG 1.2

13. 123 - release 5