SyQuest removable drive, OS/2 on logical partition

SyQuest removable drive, OS/2 on logical partition

Post by Russell La » Sat, 23 Sep 1995 04:00:00

SyQuest removable drive with OS/2 on logical partition

The documentation for the syquest removability support says
this doesn't work.  It tried it.  It doesn't work.

Is there a way to stop OS/2 remapping the logical partition
drive letter (i.e. the boot drive) when it sees the primary
partition on the SyQuest drive?

(I am aware that you can format the SyQuest as a floppy
to avoid this problem).

Currently using Toshiba T2130CS notebook, New Media Bus
Toaster SCSI card, SyQuest 3.5" 270MB drive.

--

Department of Electrical and Computer Systems Engineering
Monash University, Australia

Post by John R. Farl » Sun, 24 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>(I am aware that you can format the SyQuest as a floppy
>to avoid this problem).

Can you tell me how to format the cartridge as a floppy?

John

Post by Leon D. Zeteko » Sun, 01 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: : Is there a way to stop OS/2 remapping the logical partition
: : drive letter (i.e. the boot drive) when it sees the primary
: : partition on the SyQuest drive?

: a customer just asked me this. any solutions?

yes; get the syquest modified os2dasd.dmd and the syqlock.flt

: : (I am aware that you can format the SyQuest as a floppy
: : to avoid this problem).

: have you also foudn it to be too slow? have you used diskcache?

this allows you to format a syquest cartridge as a true fat partition,
either primary OR logical (the way I have it)

access time is much better than a loarge floppy.

Leon

Post by Thomas G. Hartma » Wed, 04 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>>: : Is there a way to stop OS/2 remapping the logical partition
>>: : drive letter (i.e. the boot drive) when it sees the primary
>>: : partition on the SyQuest drive?
>>: a customer just asked me this. any solutions?
>>yes; get the syquest modified os2dasd.dmd and the syqlock.flt
>I had already tried this - it didn't work.
>Without the SyQuest modified os2dasd.dmd and syqlock.flt, OS/2
>complained that the disk wasn't formatted correctly (since the
>OS/2 driver was looking for a floppy format).
>With the SyQuest modified files, the OS/2 boot partition drive
>letter got remapped part way through the boot process.
>OS/2 stopped with a complaint that it couldn't find a file on
>that existed on the boot drive, but didn't exist on the SyQuest.

Well, it's true: When you OS/2 boot off a LOGICAL partition
                       and have a PRIMARY partition on your SyQuest
                       your drive lettering gets badly messed up...

Here's a little workaround:
 Presuming you have installed the aforementioned  SyQuest modified
drivers and the filter you should boot with a LOGICAL partition on a
SyQuest cartridge. This will not harm your drive order AND you once
booted you will be able to change the cartidge and use a PRIMARY
partition on it as well...

How do you get a LOGICALly partitioned cartridge? Well, either boot
DOS (I know, I know..) and do the FDISKing there or boot OS/2 off
a PRIMARY Partition (this will make sure at least OS/2 will start
correctly, even if your applications might be at a different driver
letter...) and FDISK from there.

This setup is working fine for me - if you have more questions
mail to

as I am not following this group too closely!

1. Syquest and Warp off logical partition?

In the Syquest documentation, it says that a drive can be run with Warp booted
off a logical partition but it must be run as an "os/2 floppy". I've added the
recommended /F parameter to the DASD driver but get an error which I suspect
is caused by dynamic drive letter reassignment. I don't want to repartition,
and I don't like having more than one primary partition. Is there a way to
make this work? I have not yet tried booting with the drive empty. The disk in
the drive was formatted in DOS. Any insight would be appreciated.

Chris Hall

2. WTB: Playmation

3. Syquest 270MB removable drive and OS/2 ?

4. FS: GS SOFTS CHEAP

5. Syquest scsi removable drive under OS/2

6. How to use XMS handle ?

7. Removable Syquest Drive Corruption

8. CM Regional Users Group Meeting

9. os/2 unable to see logical partitions in my extented partition

10. Syquest 270 MB removable drive and Adaptec 1540 C SCSI adapter in OS2

11. SyQuest Removable Drives?

12. DOS partition with OS2 Logical Drive, or Visa-Versa?

13. CHKDSK won't automatically check Logical drive partitions...help?