Postroad Mailer w/IBM dialer -- Problem

Post by sig.. » Sat, 12 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have been using SLIPPM (the Dial Other Providers object). Now I have
switched to the IBM Global Netword, and use the IBM dialler. The entire IAK
works fine under the new regime, but I have not been able to get the Postroad
Mailer operating.

Postroad worked fine with the other provider. Ultimail and PMMail work fine
now too.

I have inserted the CORRECT POP-server name into Postroad:
                (pop01.ny.us.ibm.net)
I have SMTP turned off.

Symptoms: I am online to ibm.net, and Postroad is loaded. Press either 'Send'
or 'Refresh'. Nothing happens; after a short time, an audible error signal
comes, but no error message. All this is independent of e.g. whether
parameters are given for the dialler.

The bug here, if there is one, is almost surely in me, not in
Postroad, I am sure. What have I omitted to do?

Post by Tom Snyd » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I have been using SLIPPM (the Dial Other Providers object). Now I have
>switched to the IBM Global Network, and use the IBM dialer. The entire IAK
>works fine under the new regime, but I have not been able to get the Postroad
>Mailer operating.
>Postroad worked fine with the other provider. Ultimail and PMMail work fine
>now too.
>I have inserted the CORRECT POP-server name into Postroad:
>                (pop01.ny.us.ibm.net)
>I have SMTP turned off.

Your mistake is that you have SMTP turned off.  The SMTP server is used to
send out your mail and the POP server is used to retrieve your mail.

Tom Snyder

Before you ask... No, I'm not THAT Tom Snyder!

Post by sig.. » Sun, 13 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I have been using SLIPPM (the Dial Other Providers object). Now I have
switched to the IBM Global Network, and use the IBM dialer. The entire IAK
works fine under the new regime, but I have not been able to get the Postroad
Mailer operating.

Postroad worked fine with the other provider. Ultimail and PMMail work fine
now too.

I have inserted the CORRECT POP-server name into Postroad:
                (pop01.ny.us.ibm.net)
I have SMTP turned off.

Symptoms: I am online to ibm.net, and Postroad is loaded. Press either 'Send'
or 'Refresh'. Nothing happens; after a short time, an audible error signal
comes, but no error message, then nothing more. All this is independent of
e.g. whether parameters are given for the dialer.

If I am NOT already online, pressing 'Send' or 'Refresh' will put be online
with the correct dialer; then nothing more happens except the audible error
signal. This is NOT happening because I forgot to tell Postroad about the new
dialer.

The bug here, if there is one, is almost surely in me, not in
Postroad. What have I omitted to do?

Stan Goodman