3,000,000 copies of Windows 3.1 have been sold

3,000,000 copies of Windows 3.1 have been sold

Post by Michael D Melling » Sat, 23 May 1992 06:43:07

Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.

Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
the PC?

-Mike

3,000,000 copies of Windows 3.1 have been sold

Post by Jack Radig » Sat, 23 May 1992 07:28:01

Quote:>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?

  Somewhere I remember reading/hearing that there were close to 70 to
90 million PeeCee's sold.  Let's be conservative and say that works
out to about 50 million in actual use due to replacement/retirement of
older systems.

  3/50 = .06

  6% total market penetration for an OS that has been around for over
5 years and has had several major revisions?

  6% would be dandy for a Shareware or a semi-niche application.

  But an OS?

  You decide.

  -jack-

Post by thomp.. » Sat, 23 May 1992 03:15:13

Quote:

> Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
> number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.

> Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
> the PC?

> -Mike

No.

CAT

Post by Timothy F. Sippl » Sat, 23 May 1992 07:10:49

Quote:>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?

No, but please see my previous message on OS/2 2.0 sales accounting.
Also, now that you mention it, Microsoft does tend to stretch the
definition of "sold."  Much of the 3,000,000 includes shipments to
dealers.  Windows 3.1 could be sitting on an Egghead shelf right now;
Microsoft calls it "sold."

I also really don't know how to treat bundling.  When Gateway bundles
Windows 3.1 with a new system, is that "sold."  Yes, I suppose it is.
Is it a user?

I'm afraid that will remain a rhetorical question.  I'll leave the
"experts" to analyze sales.  Microsoft (or any other software company)
can report anything it wants.
--
Get the OS/2 FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS LIST | Timothy F. Sipples

directory pub/os2/all/faq, or from      | VNET Alias: SIPPLES AT BITNET

Post by SCHAFFTER, RODNEY FRANK, » Sat, 23 May 1992 09:32:00

Quote:>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?
>-Mike

        Sold to whom--end-users or dealers?  If it's sitting on the dealer's
shelves, it's not being used.

        To be considered sucessful, it should sell at least as many upgrades
as copies of Win 3.0 in circulation.  If not, it shows that many copies are
shelfware, so the jury is still out.

                Stay tuned to CNN for further announcements.;-)

Rod Schaffter
Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding  |Who cares if windows is or
Texas A&M University Dept. of Chemistry             |isn't an opperating system-

        "Standard Disclaimer, etc."           |An OOPerating system, maybe?

Post by Heikki Suopan » Sat, 23 May 1992 12:14:49

>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?

Jack>   Somewhere I remember reading/hearing that there were close to 70 to
Jack> 90 million PeeCee's sold.  Let's be conservative and say that works
Jack> out to about 50 million in actual use due to replacement/retirement of
Jack> older systems.
Jack>   3/50 = .06

How about the pirated copies?

-Heikki

Post by Michael D Melling » Sat, 23 May 1992 10:17:11

   No, but please see my previous message on OS/2 2.0 sales accounting.
   Also, now that you mention it, Microsoft does tend to stretch the
   definition of "sold."  Much of the 3,000,000 includes shipments to
   dealers.  Windows 3.1 could be sitting on an Egghead shelf right now;
   Microsoft calls it "sold."

I guess if Microsoft has made their money then they consider it sold.

   I also really don't know how to treat bundling.  When Gateway bundles
   Windows 3.1 with a new system, is that "sold."  Yes, I suppose it is.
   Is it a user?

It has been a little over 6 weeks since Windows 3.1 was released.  How
many weeks have companies been bundling Windows 3.1 with their
hardware?  I doubt if that many PC clones with Windows 3.1 have been
shipped.  Anyway, isn't that still a win for MS?  I've been seeing a
lot of commercials for Windows.  Everyone knows that GUIs are the way
to go.  I think people will use it.  Come on, people thought that
Windows 3.0 was going to give them a Macintosh.  Do you think people
put a whole lot of thought into what they're buying?  If Windows 3.x
didn't sell computers, wouldn't vendors save the extra cost of
including it and just ship DOS?

-Mike

Post by Mike Lev » Sat, 23 May 1992 09:41:17

>>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>>the PC?

>No, but please see my previous message on OS/2 2.0 sales accounting.
>Also, now that you mention it, Microsoft does tend to stretch the
>definition of "sold."  Much of the 3,000,000 includes shipments to
>dealers.  Windows 3.1 could be sitting on an Egghead shelf right now;
>Microsoft calls it "sold."

>I also really don't know how to treat bundling.  When Gateway bundles
>Windows 3.1 with a new system, is that "sold."  Yes, I suppose it is.
>Is it a user?

Exactly.  Today, I went to Radio Shack and CompuAdd because I am
looking to buy a 386SX/25 system.  Both systems were bundled with
MS-DOS 5.0 and MS Windows 3.1.  Since I will send in for my free
copy of OS/2 2.0 in August, I asked if I could have both software
products deleted with credit.  The salesman of each company replied
"No, we can't do that" or something like that.

If I wanted Windows, I would buy a 286.  If I wanted DOS, I would
shoot myself first.  Since OS/2 2.0 will make DOS and Windows
redundant, why should I be forced to pay for something I don't
want?  Still looking for a 386SX/25 system...

>I'm afraid that will remain a rhetorical question.  I'll leave the
>"experts" to analyze sales.  Microsoft (or any other software company)
>can report anything it wants.
>--
>Get the OS/2 FREQ. ASKED QUESTIONS LIST | Timothy F. Sipples

>directory pub/os2/all/faq, or from      | VNET Alias: SIPPLES AT BITNET

Mike Levis              Reader of the OS/2 Frequently Asked Question List
                        Vote "yes" for comp.os.os2.thanks_timothy_sipples
                        1.3 user now, 2.0 user in August

Post by cvadr.. » Sat, 23 May 1992 11:51:46

Quote:>>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.

>>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>>the PC?

> Hey, even a satisfied OS/2 user such as myself uses windows (or at
> least Win-OS/2).  After all the important apps such as TriPeaks, Hangman,
> and Skiing haven't been done for OS/2 yet! :)

> Now, if Windows 3.x could *decently* manage DOS sessions, I'd think about
> using it.  But that's a topic for comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy...

>>-Mike

I don't think that either OS/2 or Windows will ever dominate the market any
time soon.

Not everyone can afford a decent machine w/ a fair size HD and 8 megs of RAM to
run OS/2. OTOH, those with the power may opt for OS/2 instead of Windows.
Simply because OS/2 will harness fully the power of a 386 machine.

                              oOo MiLAMBER conDoin oOo

3,000,000 copies of Windows 3.1 have been sold

Post by cvadr.. » Sat, 23 May 1992 11:54:14

Quote:> Jack>   Somewhere I remember reading/hearing that there were close to 70 to
> Jack> 90 million PeeCee's sold.  Let's be conservative and say that works
> Jack> out to about 50 million in actual use due to replacement/retirement of
> Jack> older systems.
> Jack>   3/50 = .06

> How about the pirated copies?

> -Heikki

Yeah, but isn't that illegal?

Besides, OS/2 comes on 21 HD disks. Maybe they could end piracy if they release
it on a 660 megs CD-ROM.

                              oOo MiLAMBER conDoin oOo

Post by arr.. » Sat, 23 May 1992 07:22:43

Quote:

> Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
> number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.

> Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
> the PC?

No.

Here at the University of Kansas all computers we bought were required
to come with Windows, whether we asked for it or not.  (This was as of
a couple of years ago.  I haven't bought a new PC for a while and so
can't say whether this policy is still in force.)

I tried to install it.  Result: Windows is the only piece of software
for which I ripped the magnetic media out of the floppy jacket and
cut up into little pieces before throwing it in the trash.  Granted
this was Windows 2.something rather than Windows 3.something, which
is rumored to be better :-)

But my point is, a lot of copies of Win 3.[0,1] are probably "bundled"
copies going to people who didn't ask for it.  Maybe they'll use
it, maybe not.  At least some of them will like it enough that
they'll actually pay to buy new "{whatever} for Windows" copies
of their favorite applications.

I suspect the real money for Microsoft is not in selling Windows per
se, but in selling applications for Windows.  Given that the marginal
unit cost for any piece of software is near-zero, they can afford to
license Windows at low prices and make it up on sales of Word or whatever.
A very clever piece of marketing on Microsoft's part.

Contrast this with IBM's marketing of OS/2  ...
Raymond W. Arritt                     |  Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
Assistant Professor                   |  University of Kansas

Apr  1 12:29:21 timed[92]: THIS MACHINE IS A SLAVE
Apr  1 12:29:27 timed[92]: THIS MACHINE IS A CANDIDATE
Apr  1 12:29:31 timed[92]: This machine is master

Post by Richard Johns » Sat, 23 May 1992 20:53:00

Quote:>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.
>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?

Hey, even a satisfied OS/2 user such as myself uses windows (or at
least Win-OS/2).  After all the important apps such as TriPeaks, Hangman,
and Skiing haven't been done for OS/2 yet! :)

Now, if Windows 3.x could *decently* manage DOS sessions, I'd think about
using it.  But that's a topic for comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy...

Quote:>-Mike

--
Richard Johnson          "* All Over"        NBCS:  B3/4 f++ g++ c+ w e

Post by Yiupun Michael Kwo » Sun, 24 May 1992 08:04:20

Quote:

>Heard it on CNN last night.  That would be approximately 1/3 the
>number of the 9 or 10 million copies of Windows 3.0 purportedly sold.

>Does this shoot to hell the theory that no one really uses Windows on
>the PC?

>-Mike

It is definitely not true that nobody uses Windows.  I know a number
of people who uses it regularly, but I would say there are also a lot
of people who don't use it regularly (or even ever).

Just curious.  The last I heard, the *total* Windows software sales
still lacks quite a bit behind Windows sales.  Isn't that kind of
curious?

Michael Y. Kwong

1. OS/2 with 25% market share(was:OS/2 2.0 sells 3,000,000+ in 1st year!)

Here's the caveat:

This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
civilized world.  Your message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.

Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny]

I have posted probably a thousand messages in the last 2 1/2 years I've
been on the net, and there's NO WAY it cost a million dollars to do
that (1,000 x $1,000.00).

Obligatory OS/2 input:

Try this from a windowed OS/2 prompt:

c:\> start & start & start & start & start & start & start & start

or the following:

c:\> start "     OS/2 is a GREAT program!!!" /f /win

  ohio-state.edu>    |   |   |
  BTW, WYSInaWYG     |   |   |                           --witty.saying.ARC

2. HP DJ855C - Anybody with printer commands for it?

3. OS/2 2.0 sells 3,000,000+ in 1st year!

4. Zoom V.90 and Bitware 4 Plus Compatible?

5. OS/2 2.0 sells 3,000,000+

6. uBR924 in a lab? Any good?

7. OS/2 sells 3,000,000.....(repeat?)

8. IBM should sell Windows 3.1 when Chicago is released

9. Hidden Costs in Windows 3.1 (Was: Windows 3.1 Brochure: Assessment)

10. So, want to get rid of an extra copy of Windows 3.1

11. Wanted: copy of MS-Windows 3.1

12. WINOS2 3.1 vs. Windows 3.1 -- benchmark