OS/2 and TASM

Post by Jeffery Thom » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

I noticed thumbing through my Borland Turbo Assembler manual, that it is
capable of generating OS/2 compatible OBJ files.  Anyone know if this
really works?  This version of TASM comes with Borland C++ for DOS and
Windows.

If it does work, can anyone recommend a source of info on accessing the
various levels of OS/2 via assembly language?  Right now I have two books
on OS/2 programming, but they are mostly C code examples.

Later...

OS/2 and TASM

Post by Rene Pawlitz » Sun, 10 May 1998 04:00:00

Quote:as) writes:
>I noticed thumbing through my Borland Turbo Assembler manual, that it is
>capable of generating OS/2 compatible OBJ files.  Anyone know if this
>really works?  This version of TASM comes with Borland C++ for DOS and
>Windows.

>If it does work, can anyone recommend a source of info on accessing the
>various levels of OS/2 via assembly language?  Right now I have two books
>on OS/2 programming, but they are mostly C code examples.

>Later...

I just looked at one of the old Borland C++ for OS/2 Compiler boxes.
It says that it contains the 32-bit Turbo Assembler. I assume that
it works!

Rene
Delphi R&D Engineer

-----

Rene Pawlitzek
Inprise Corporation =
Borland + Visigenic
http://www.pawlitzek.halifax.ns.ca

OS/2 and TASM

Post by Simon Horsburgh » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

> I noticed thumbing through my Borland Turbo Assembler manual, that it is
> capable of generating OS/2 compatible OBJ files.  Anyone know if this
> really works?  This version of TASM comes with Borland C++ for DOS and
> Windows.

> If it does work, can anyone recommend a source of info on accessing the
> various levels of OS/2 via assembly language?  Right now I have two books
> on OS/2 programming, but they are mostly C code examples.

> Later...

TASM can generate OS/2 OBJ files quite happily.  There is an example of
this on Hobbes in one of the /dev directories.  As for actually using
it, you have to have a .lib file so that you can access the APIs.  I
seem to remember doing this by * the os2386.lib file from the
VP/2 beta, but that was a long time ago.  The Developer Connection CDs
have this file somewhere, and I imagine most other development
environments have it floating around.

ALP also creates OS/2 OBJ files, but only uses MASM syntax.

Hope some of this helps!
--
simon

NOTE: Change 'mz' to 'nz' to get my real email address

OS/2 and TASM

Post by Ruediger Ih » Mon, 11 May 1998 04:00:00

> I noticed thumbing through my Borland Turbo Assembler manual, that it is
> capable of generating OS/2 compatible OBJ files.  Anyone know if this
> really works?  This version of TASM comes with Borland C++ for DOS and
> Windows.

Yes, even TASM 3.1 for DOS can do that. Be sure to supply /OI on the
command line,
if you intend use LINK.EXE or LINK386.EXE.

BTW, Borland's 3.1 tools have some (un)documented features, which may
be useful
for OS/2 programmers.

1.)     TASM supports OS/2's memory model and calling convention.
        In the following code snippet contains some OS/2 specific pseudo ops,
        that seem to work with TASM 3.1 for DOS.
;
        .386p
        .MODEL  FLAT, C, OS2
;
        EXTRN   SYSCALL DOS32BEEP: PROC
;
       .CODE
;
MyProc  PROC
       call    Dos32Beep SYSCALL, 1000, 100
MyProc  ENDP

2.)     TLINK 5.xx is able to produce 16bit OS/2 executables and dlls.
        It accepts OS/2 specific entries in the DEF file as well as
        the undocumented command line options /TOE and /TOD.

There is also an OS/2 version of TASM. It is part of Borland C++ for
OS/2
and claims to be version 4.1. There is also the /OI switch to set, if
you
choose to use IBM/Microsoft's linker instead of Borland's TLINK.

--rudi

[S&T Systemtechnik GmbH, Germany, http://www.s-t.de]

OS/2 and TASM

Post by Adam James Fitzpatri » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

>>I noticed thumbing through my Borland Turbo Assembler manual, that it is
>>capable of generating OS/2 compatible OBJ files.  Anyone know if this
>>really works?  This version of TASM comes with Borland C++ for DOS and
>>Windows.

[snip]

Quote:>TASM can generate OS/2 OBJ files quite happily.

[snip]

Quote:>ALP also creates OS/2 OBJ files, but only uses MASM syntax.

There is a masm2alp.exe frontend for ALP, but it normally uses a
completely different syntax.

--
Adam Fitzpatrick

"We live in a society of laws. Why do you think I took you to all
those Police Academy movies? For fun? Well I didn't hear anybody laughing,
did you?" -Homer

OS/2 and TASM

Post by Peter Flas » Fri, 15 May 1998 04:00:00

> >ALP also creates OS/2 OBJ files, but only uses MASM syntax.

> There is a masm2alp.exe frontend for ALP, but it normally uses a
> completely different syntax.

As I read the doc, masm2alp only converts command line switches.

1. TASM 4.0 and OS/2 2.11

I'm thinking about making the switch from MASM 6.1 to TASM 4.0, primarily
because I cannot run MASM under OS/2.

Is anyone here successfully using TASM 4.0 under OS/2 2.1x in a VDM (or
specific DOS session)?  Are any special settings required in the Notebook?

A few other pre-purchase questions....

a) What are the system requirements, including hard drive space?

b) Will TASM run faster if installed on a HPFS partition?

c) Exactly what is Ideal Mode?

Posts and email are both welcome.  Thanks for any advice you can offer,
Erich Schulman (KTN4CA)

2. T.I.M.S. - the acronym!

3. Can BC45/TASM/TLINK be used 4 os/2 device drivers?

4. Viewing graphic attachments

5. Tasm 2.0 and Link in OS/2 2.1

6. FS: 200MHz R4400SC w/2MB Secondary Cache $250

7. Using TASM for OS/2 w/C Set++

8. CDMA Electrical Engineers

9. TASM and 16bit OS/2 progs? [Q]

10. TASM and OS/2

11. Porting TPascal/TASM to OS2/PM

12. Assembly... (TASM)

13. ZTC 3.1 and TASM for Device Drivers?