How to kill hung processes?

How to kill hung processes?

Post by joac.. » Sun, 03 Oct 1993 02:58:36



From time to time crashed programs leave behind processes that refuse
to be killed by the windows list.
The process tools on the Hobbes CD (2_x\sysutils) also didn't help.

I've been able to reproduce this behaviour with GCC/2. If I set up
a handler for SIGINT, every attempt to shutdown the process leads to the
handler, and if the handler doesn't exit the program continues.

Is there a way to unconditionally kill a process in OS/2 (like VMS 'STOP' or
Unix 'kill -9') or do I really have to shutdown to get rid of those critters?


 
 
 

How to kill hung processes?

Post by os2.. » Sun, 03 Oct 1993 05:17:41



>From time to time crashed programs leave behind processes that refuse
>to be killed by the windows list.
>The process tools on the Hobbes CD (2_x\sysutils) also didn't help.
>I've been able to reproduce this behaviour with GCC/2. If I set up
>a handler for SIGINT, every attempt to shutdown the process leads to the
>handler, and if the handler doesn't exit the program continues.
>Is there a way to unconditionally kill a process in OS/2 (like VMS 'STOP' or
>Unix 'kill -9') or do I really have to shutdown to get rid of those critters?

Write a small program that calls DosKillProcess() with the PID specified
on the command line and does *not* specify DKP_PROCESSTREE.

Cheers,
Q
--
Have you read this month's EDM/2?  It's available via anonymous FTP to
ftp.cdrom.com in the /pub/os2/2_x/program/newsltr directory.  New articles,
comments, suggestions, and Q&A questions are always welcome!  Send all to


 
 
 

How to kill hung processes?

Post by joac.. » Thu, 07 Oct 1993 00:55:50




>>From time to time crashed programs leave behind processes that refuse
>>to be killed by the windows list.
>>The process tools on the Hobbes CD (2_x\sysutils) also didn't help.

>>I've been able to reproduce this behaviour with GCC/2. If I set up
>>a handler for SIGINT, every attempt to shutdown the process leads to the
>>handler, and if the handler doesn't exit the program continues.

>>Is there a way to unconditionally kill a process in OS/2 (like VMS 'STOP' or
>>Unix 'kill -9') or do I really have to shutdown to get rid of those critters?

> Write a small program that calls DosKillProcess() with the PID specified
> on the command line and does *not* specify DKP_PROCESSTREE.

The program kill on Hobbes (in 2_x/sysutils) does just that but it didn't
help me. To make my point clearer: Is it possible to kill this program
compiled with GCC/2 2.3.3 (from the hobbes CD).

-----------------------CUT HERE-------------------------
/* killme.c; compile with GCC/2 'gcc killme.c -o killme' */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <signal.h>

void signal_handler (int i)
{
        printf ("signal_handler: %d\n", i);

Quote:}

main ()
{
        int i=0;

        signal (SIGINT, signal_handler);

        while (1) printf ("%d\n", i++);

Quote:}

--------------------------CUT-------------------------------------

> Cheers,
> Q
> --
> Have you read this month's EDM/2?  It's available via anonymous FTP to
> ftp.cdrom.com in the /pub/os2/2_x/program/newsltr directory.  New articles,
> comments, suggestions, and Q&A questions are always welcome!  Send all to



 
 
 

1. Killing a hung process

I recall that one of the useful features of Warp is supposed to be that
one can finally kill processes that have hung the desktop.  Apparently,
rather than change OS/2 so it has one PM message queue for each process,
they still have one for the whole machine.  However, from what I
remember, there is some kind of background task that can be activated
now to remove misbehaved applications from the message queue so it
doesn't lock up the machine.

I cannot find any online documentation on this feature.  I seem to
recall that it can be activated from the Warp Center toolbar.  I have
two questions:

1. How can I activate this feature?
2. Can I activate it without using the Warp Center tool bar?  (Call me
old fashioned; I still like to deal with my icons on the desktop!)

Thanks,

- Brendan

2. HELP: DLL and MicroStation 95

3. adress of kill -9 (was:Re: Killing processes)

4. curiosity on Minsky's conjecture

5. Warp Win95 boot manager file kill kill kill

6. Trying to trace Barbara Kitchener

7. retrieving a nodal position question..

8. ?i Process Commander Kills PC-DOS & Win-OS2?j

9. killing a process

10. How to kill a lost process?

11. Process ID killing??

12. Which Process-Killer to kill Netscape?