Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by ma.. » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
Any Opinions?

Marco

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by rjher.. » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

> Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
> I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
> Any Opinions?

> Marco

The IBM Anti-Virus package appears to works well. Have used it with
great success at work (with the emergency disk). * boot sector virii
have been appearing and the "chosen" solution, F-PROT, hasn't been able
to handle the situation. Plus you receive DOS, Windos, Win95, & OS/2
versions in the package.

Rich Herbein
Not in anyway affiliated with IBM (except for my choice of OS and
anti-virus packages)

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by Dan Cas » Tue, 13 May 1997 04:00:00

>Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
>I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
>Any Opinions?

>Marco

I've been using IBM's Anti-Virus. It came with versions for Win95,
OS/2 Warp, Windows and DOS all in the same package. Works very well,
as far as I can tell. I've yet to have a virus show up on any of my
machines.

*  Dan Casey           Doesn't "Microsoft"   *
*  Team OS/2           Mean "Small & Limp"?  *                                                                                       *
*  PGP Public Key Available upon Request     *

-- I don't support any Unsolicited Mass Email or USENET Posting.
-- *promo.com, answerme.com, savetrees.com, etc. are operated by
-- Sanford Wallace of the Junk FAX bill fame.. his sites are a major
-- source of email UMM either directly or via relay.
-- TraceRoute shows his provider is AGIS.NET
-- Use this sig if you want this "SPAM" stopped.

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by Erik Mogense » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

> Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
> I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
> Any Opinions?

> Marco

I use the IBM Anti-Virus, and it works well.  I had a diskette that was
infected and it wasd caught as soon as I tried to acces the disk.  The
virus was removed with no problem.

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by John Mandevil » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

> > Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
> > I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
> > Any Opinions?

> I use the IBM Anti-Virus, and it works well.  I had a diskette that was
> infected and it wasd caught as soon as I tried to acces the disk.  The
> virus was removed with no problem.

There's a DOS program (but see below!!!) called AVP which is very highly
thought of by Virus Bulletin.  It's slower than most anti-virual scanners,
but is apparently considered the most accurate identifier of virii.
The program originates from Russia.  Some mild difficulty with English
makes the documentation a bit hard to decipher at spots, but it's mostly
readable.

Now for the good news.  I just noticed at their US distributer's
web site that they now have a beta-test for an OS/2 version.
It's always nice to see new support for OS/2!  The web site is
http://www.command-hq.com/command/ .  I've downloaded it, but haven't
tried it yet.  You might want to check it out.  I seem to remember the
web site saying that the OS/2 version doesn't yet have any documentation
or help screens.  It might thus be useful to download the DOS version
too as a way of helping you to figure out the OS/2 version.

If you would like to see what Virus Bulletin says about various scanners,
see http://www.virusbtn.com/ .

--
John Mandeville

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by John M. Godw » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

>Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
>I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
>Any Opinions?

One of the advantages to the IBM Anti-Virus is that it's multi-platform
(diskettes for OS/2, Win95, Win3.x, and DOS are included). Virus database
may be updated from IBM's Anti-Virus Web Site.

John Godwin

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by Michael Crai » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

IBM's AV product was very good 4+ years ago.  Good instructions; easy
installation; user friendly.  And the gurus who supported it at that
time _really knew_ their stuff.

--
Michael Craig (OS/2 bigot; WordPerfect evangelist)
     em4.pea.sea           See what Microsoft

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by Luigi Marazz » Fri, 16 May 1997 04:00:00

> Any opinions on reliable native anti-virus software?
> I've seen stuff from IBM, Dr. Salomon, & F-Prot.
> Any Opinions?

> Marco

Try the latest Mcafee offering for OS2, you can find it at
http://www.musthave.com

--

Q: OS/2 Anti-virus software

Post by Syso » Sat, 17 May 1997 04:00:00

I use Dr. Solomon's both at home and at work.  I was a McAfee fan for a
very long time, but it appears that over time they have become less
responsive to their users, slower to put out updates and more expensive
to use.  For less than McAfee, you get, IMO, excellent protection, you
can download some extra drivers from http://www.drsolomon.com, if
needed, and you receive updates once per quarter.

I especially urge you to use it if you have to share documents with the
MS Word weenies, as there are a lot more WM viruses out there than there
used to be.

John

--
//------------------------------------------------------------------------

//                                           ,sevogorob eht erew ysmim llA
//                                            .ebargtuo shtar emom eht dnA
//                     In case of stupidity, break glass.

SPAM ME! LIST for all those email harvesters we know and love:

1. Anti-Virus software for OS/2

Hello-
   I am using OS/2 2.1 as a Lotus Notes server on our network, and I am
wondering what kind of good anti-virus products exist for OS/2, either
shareware, freeware, or commercial?  If shareware/freeware, is it available on
the internet?  Thanks.

                   +-------------------------------+
                   |       Gregory A. Sachs        |
                   |       Bentley  College        |
                   |          Waltham, MA          |
                   |-------------------------------|

                   +-------------------------------+

2. Optical storage for VS3100

3. What's the point in OS/2 anti-virus software?

4. Heap checking tools

5. Anti-Virus Software for OS/2

6. Random Packet Corruption

7. Anti-virus software

8. combine mid-files

9. Seeking anti-virus software recommendations

10. Looking for anti-virus software

11. Anti-Virus software f

12. NEED YOUR HELP - IN RETURN COULD WIN ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE