Matrox Driver 2.02 install hosed Win Drivers

Matrox Driver 2.02 install hosed Win Drivers

Post by j.. » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

I just installed the most recent Matrox Millenium drivers on
Warp 3.0.  I have Warp for Windows set up in a
Bootmanager configuration where I can boot native
Windows from C: and Warp from D:

I am now unable to run native Windows.  Windows starts
but never gets past the Windows logo.  I believe the problem
is that the OS/2 install replaced some of the commands in
C:\MGA\SETUP and C:\MGA\CPANEL and those commands are incompatible
with the Windows native drivers.

I have downloaded the most recent Windows drivers (1.22) but cannot
install them as I cannot run Windows.  (This is a major hole in Matrox's
installation process)  I need a way to unpack
the .Z files in the driver download without running the
setup utility (or alternately, a way to download the
DRV and .386 files in already unpacked form).  As far as I can tell,
the .Z files are not in any standard compressed form.

I cannot afford to re-install Windows from scratch, as I have
highly customized it and it would take days to recreate it.
If anyone has a solution, or has installed the 1.22 version of the
Windows drivers successfully, and would be willing to send
me the unpacked .DRV and .386 files from \windows\system,
please e-mail me.

Thanks

Jim Garrison

Matrox Driver 2.02 install hosed Win Drivers

Post by Jeffrey S. Schwar » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Have you tryed running setup from the winsows dir * setting the display to
VGA. If you are unable to start windows because to an bad video driver this
will allow you back into windows.

:>

Post by esm.. » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>I just installed the most recent Matrox Millenium drivers on
>Warp 3.0.  I have Warp for Windows set up in a
>Bootmanager configuration where I can boot native
>Windows from C: and Warp from D:

>I am now unable to run native Windows.  Windows starts
>but never gets past the Windows logo.  I believe the problem
>is that the OS/2 install replaced some of the commands in
>C:\MGA\SETUP and C:\MGA\CPANEL and those commands are incompatible
>with the Windows native drivers.

Exactly the same bug bit me in a similar setup. What I eventually
did was to make a new, minimal installation of Windows (I have WFW3.11
but probably any version will work.)  The win install routine
does let you put a new install in a different directory from the
existing one.  Then I installed the 1.22 Matrox Windows drivers
into the new Windows setup (they worked fine).  Finally, I compared
the new and old Win directories and found the file that the
Matrox Warp install overwrote.  It was a .dll in the win\system
directory, with a name obviously suggesting Matrox -- perhaps
mgax64.dll but I'm not certain (that system is at home).  Copying
that file repaired the old Windows setup and then I deleted the
new one and restored the old config.sys and autoexec.bat.
This took maybe 25 minutes all told.
Hope this helps -- Matrox should be ashamed of themselves for
this install bug.

Eliot R. Smith                  Professor of Psychological Sciences
317-494-7709  FAX:317-496-1264  Purdue University

Home page: http://www.psych.purdue.edu/~esmith/home.html

Post by Tim Tayl » Fri, 11 Oct 1996 04:00:00

:>I am now unable to run native Windows.  Windows starts
:>but never gets past the Windows logo.  I believe the problem
:>is that the OS/2 install replaced some of the commands in
:>C:\MGA\SETUP and C:\MGA\CPANEL and those commands are incompatible
:>with the Windows native drivers.

Have you tried booting dos, go into windows directory and run setup.exe. Then
change the drivers to VGA and start windows and see if that gets it up and
running.

Tim Taylor

Matrox Driver 2.02 install hosed Win Drivers

Post by j.. » Sat, 12 Oct 1996 04:00:00

CAUTION: USE A FIXED-WIDTH FONT TO READ THIS

The following problem will affect Warp for Windows 3.0 (aka
"Red-Spine" Warp) running on a Matrox MGA Millenium display
adapter, when you try to upgrade the OS/2 driver to version 2.02
provided by Matrox, and available on their ftp server.

"Red-Spine" Warp was designed to use an existing Windows 3.1 or
3.11 system to provide both native Windows AND Win/OS2
functionality.  In a typical configuration you would have native
Windows on C:  and OS/2 on D:, and switch back and forth with
either "dual-boot" or Bootmanager.

Problem Statement
=================

The Matrox Millenium driver set version 2.02 for OS/2 includes an
updated version of the Windows-mode display DLL
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAX64.DLL.  In prior versions, this DLL from
the OS/2 driver set was compatible with the remainder of the
native Windows driver set.  In the version 2.02 OS/2 driver set
this DLL is no longer compatible with ANY native Windows driver
set.  The symptom is that after installing OS/2 driver version
2.02, you can no longer run Windows in native mode.  Windows
starts and displays its logo but hangs immediately after loading
the display driver (MGAX64.DRV) as indicated by the Windows
bootlog file.

It also turns out that the rest of the OS/2 driver set is
incompatible with ANY native Windows version of MGAX64.DLL. Thus,
if you replace MGAX64.DLL with a native Windows version, you
will no longer be able to run WinOS2 fullscreen sessions.  The
symptom in that case will be that the fullscreen session begins,
appears to hang for about 30 seconds, and then terminates by
itself.

This problem is particularly insidious because you don't discover
it until AFTER you install the OS/2 driver, at which point you no
longer have a usable native Windows system.  Unfortunately, the
Matrox install program for native Windows requires an existing
Windows system in order to extract the DLLs from its repository
files, which are compressed with a proprietary scheme that can be
uncompressed only by the install utility.  Catch-22.  You say,
"Just run Matrox's Windows install utility in WinOS2 to uncompress
the files", and that would be a brilliant suggestion except for
the fact that the installer WILL NOT RUN in WinOS2.  It traps.
Double-Catch-22.

Procedure
=========

Disclaimer:  If you use this procedure you assume all
responsibility and liability for any unexpected outcomes or
failure to correct the problem.  This is what *I* had to do to get
*MY* system back to normal operation.  It corrected the problem
for me without disturbing my Windows or OS/2 desktops, thus saving
me countless hours of re-installing and configuring applications.
YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.

This procedure makes the following assumptions:

    * You have already shot yourself in the foot by installing
      the OS/2 driver, and cannot boot native Windows.

    * You have DOS and Windows 3.1 or 3.11 installed on C:

    * You have OS/2 Warp for Windows installed on D:

    * You have the original Windows installation diskettes.

    If your configuration differs, substitute the correct
    drive letters where appropriate.

    If you still have a usable native Windows system (i.e. you're
    reading this BEFORE installing OS/2 driver set v2.02) just
    skip steps 1 and 2.

1) Boot native mode DOS; do not attempt to start Windows

2) cd \windows and run setup.exe (this is a dos-mode program)

   Setup will detect that you already have Windows installed
   and present the system configuration for your approval.
   Change the monitor selection to VGA (do not use SVGA --
   it will not work with the Matrox card).  Depending on
   whether or not you previously had the plain vanilla
   VGA driver installed, you may have to feed it one or
   more of the Windows install diskettes.

   When done, your Windows system should be back in 640x480
   VGA mode.

3) Obtain and install the latest Matrox NATIVE WINDOWS 3.1
   driver set (v1.22 as of 10-Oct-96).  When that completes,
   configure the display to the same resolution you intend to use
   in OS/2.

4) While still in DOS/Windows:

   Make a copy of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAX64.DLL --> MGAX64.WIN
                                                          ^^^
   preferably in a directory other than \WINDOWS\SYSTEM.  I
   put it in C:\MGA, which is where the Matrox install puts
   its files, and this is the directory I'll assume you're
   using in later steps.

5) Shutdown Windows and boot OS/2
   DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START A WINOS2 SESSION AT THIS TIME

6) Install (or re-install) the MGA OS/2 driver and configure
   the desired resolution.  Reboot to OS/2 when instructed.

   Do not attempt to boot back to DOS and run Windows at this
   point.  Installing the OS/2 driver has temporarily 'broken'
   the native Windows driver again.

7) Make a copy of C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAX64.DLL --> MGAX64.OS2
                                                          ^^^
   in the same directory you used in step 4 (C:\MGA).

   Assuming that you have Windows driver version 1.22 and
   OS/2 driver version 2.02, you should have the following
   two files in C:\MGA:

        Directory of C:\mga

        MGAX64   OS2    73024   7-26-96  10:42a
        MGAX64   WIN    63520   4-02-96  12:40p
                2 file(s)     136544 bytes used

8) Edit C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT (where C: is the DOS/Windows boot
   drive) and add the line

        copy C:\MGA\MGAX64.WIN C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAX64.DLL
                           ^^^

9) Edit D:\AUTOEXEC.BAT (where D: is the OS/2 boot drive) and
   add the line

        copy C:\MGA\MGAX64.OS2 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MGAX64.DLL
                           ^^^

** In steps 8 and 9 substitute the appropriate directory if
** you saved the DLLs somewhere besides C:\MGA.

10) Save a copy of this procedure in C:\MGA (or wherever you
    put the DLLs) so you won't have to go hunting for it next
    time you upgrade driver, in case Matrox still hasn't
    fixed the problem.

Jim Garrison

10-October-1996

Matrox Driver 2.02 install hosed Win Drivers

Post by tvolt.. » Sun, 13 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Misery loves company.  I have the same problem and am hoping for a
solution.  I can restore everything by reinstalling the original OS/2 drivers,
thus allowing OS/2 and native windows to work.  I plan to try again by copying
the old mgax64.drv and dll files to a temp directory, then install the new
drivers, then copy over the newer mgax64.drv and dll files with the old ones.
I'll let you know.

>I just installed the most recent Matrox Millenium drivers on
>Warp 3.0.  I have Warp for Windows set up in a
>Bootmanager configuration where I can boot native
>Windows from C: and Warp from D:

>I am now unable to run native Windows.  Windows starts
>but never gets past the Windows logo.  I believe the problem
>is that the OS/2 install replaced some of the commands in
>C:\MGA\SETUP and C:\MGA\CPANEL and those commands are incompatible
>with the Windows native drivers.

>I have downloaded the most recent Windows drivers (1.22) but cannot
>install them as I cannot run Windows.  (This is a major hole in Matrox's
>installation process)  I need a way to unpack
>the .Z files in the driver download without running the
>setup utility (or alternately, a way to download the
>DRV and .386 files in already unpacked form).  As far as I can tell,
>the .Z files are not in any standard compressed form.

>I cannot afford to re-install Windows from scratch, as I have
>highly customized it and it would take days to recreate it.
>If anyone has a solution, or has installed the 1.22 version of the
>Windows drivers successfully, and would be willing to send
>me the unpacked .DRV and .386 files from \windows\system,
>please e-mail me.

>Thanks

>Jim Garrison

Tom Voltaggio
Cherry Hill, N.J. USA
Team OS/2

1. Trap D after installing Matrox GRADD driver - then, stuck sound driver...

(Sorry for the crossposts but I wasn't sure how best to classify
this, since it's sort of two things.)

Anyway, here's what happened.

(Part 1)

I've gotten tired of the weird TV picture quality with my Hauppauge
WinTV (model 400, 848 version) in base Warp 4, so I upgraded to
FixPack 9.

Then I tried to install the Matrox GRADD drivers, since I keep
hearing it makes a big improvement to the TV quality.

I did it all properly - reset to VGA, followed instructions to
install the Matrox driver from the GRADD 0.077 package.  Rebooted
system, loaded all the usual drivers, screen went blank as it was
about to start the desktop, then - bang - Trap 000D in something
called SINGLEQ$ (I think that's it).

I promptly reset to VGA from Recovery Choices, and am now back
using the regular Matrox drivers.

Does anyone have any advice?

(Part 2)

After restoring the regular Matrox driver, I was sitting at the
default res. of 640x480x256 colours.  I went into the System
notebook and changed that to 800x600x16million.  Before rebooting,
I paused to deinstall StarOffice 3.1 (planning to upgrade to 5.1
anyway).

Then I rebooted, and the desktop startup sound got stuck playing,
over and over and over and over and over again.  (I'm using a
SoundBlaster AWE 64, with the Beta drivers from Colin's page.)

I rebooted again.  Did the same thing.  I tried moving the video
driver section of CONFIG.SYS from the end of the file (where it
had ended up) back up to around where it had been before.
Rebooted.  Same thing.

Tried switching the order of a couple more drivers around.  Also
changed the buffer size in the sound driver from 1K to 8K.  Rebooted
- same thing.

Eventually had to turn off the startup sound.  But does anyone
know why this happened?

Thanks...

 Alex Taylor                  BA - CIS - University of Guelph

2. Newbie to Psion

3. new Matrox drivers won't install

4. device cannot start

5. Netscape 2.02 crashes...Matrox or Microsoft?

6. Feature Request: --log-update to add 'drop table' after 'create temporary

7. BusMastering drivers and Netscape 2.02.

8. HP DeskJet 970cse

9. XGA-2 2.02 Driver Diskette

10. vacpp install and matrox driver

11. vacpp install & matrox driver

12. W4+FP13: DSPINSTL.EXE TRAP attempting to install Matrox 2.36 driver

13. Win-OS/2 Sound driver won't install....