Winos2 and w32s125.zip

Post by Graham C. Norri » Thu, 21 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Win32s is a subset of Win32 and it runs some, but by no means all, Win32
programs. Any written specifically for Win95, 98, NT4 or 2000 are highly
unlikely to work.

Graham.

Winos2 and w32s125.zip

Post by pryt.. » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Can anyone help with w32s125.zip? Is this to enable Win95 programs to be
run in Winos2? I assumed this was the purpose but maybe I am wrong :( I
tried but get an error message:- "Win32s error: invalid format." The
readme of 1995 from IBM says to expect this but I had hoped that this was
superceded by w32s125.zip.

Secondly, warp32s.zip, also on Hobbes, is dated later than w32s125.zip.
The details say it is for Warp 3+ Does this mean Warp 3 + Fixpaks, or does
it mean Warp 3 + Warp 4? Any help would be *very* welcome :)
Richard

Richard Prytula, Melbourne, Australia

Winos2 and w32s125.zip

Post by Lorne Sunl » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

> Can anyone help with w32s125.zip? Is this to enable Win95 programs to be
> run in Winos2? I assumed this was the purpose but maybe I am wrong :( I
> tried but get an error message:- "Win32s error: invalid format." The
> readme of 1995 from IBM says to expect this but I had hoped that this was
> superceded by w32s125.zip.

> Secondly, warp32s.zip, also on Hobbes, is dated later than w32s125.zip.
> The details say it is for Warp 3+ Does this mean Warp 3 + Fixpaks, or does
> it mean Warp 3 + Warp 4? Any help would be *very* welcome :)
> Richard

The w32s125.zip is the 1.25 version of the WIN32S API implementation.
It allows a subset of WIN32S applications to run on Warp 3 or Warp 4.

The warp32s.zip file contains files that update Warp 3 to allow
the use of the w32s125.zip file. The updates in the warp32s.zip
file are already contained in Warp 4.

NOTE - the latest (last) version of WIN32S was version 1.3. Programs
written to use this API level will NOT run under winos2. The defaults
for the version 1.3 WIN32S provide for memeory allocation
above the 512Mbyte limit that is handled by Warp 3 and Warp 4.

The "invalid format" message indicates that the program is
a native WIN95/98 executable file. These files are in
"PE" format rather than "LX" format (the one used by
Win 3.1 and readable by OS/2). The "PE" format executable
files cannot be loaded by OS/2.

There is a "PE2LX" converter available (Alpha code). This is
the "Project Odin" code formerly known as WIN32-OS2.

URL http://www.netlabs.org/odin

This project allows you to either convert and run or
"convert on load" PE executable files in OS/2.

Lorne Sunley

Winos2 and w32s125.zip

Post by Illya Vae » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>>Can anyone help with w32s125.zip? Is this to enable Win95 programs to be
>>run in Winos2? I assumed this was the purpose but maybe I am wrong :( I
>>tried but get an error message:- "Win32s error: invalid format." The
>>readme of 1995 from IBM says to expect this but I had hoped that this was
>>superceded by w32s125.zip.
>The "invalid format" message indicates that the program is
>a native WIN95/98 executable file. These files are in
>"PE" format rather than "LX" format (the one used by
>Win 3.1 and readable by OS/2). The "PE" format executable
>files cannot be loaded by OS/2.

All Win32 by definition have the PE (Portable Executable) format.
The LX (Linear eXecutable) format is the OS/2 native 32bit format.
Win 3.1 programs are NE (New Executable) format.
At least LX and (AFAIK) NE actually start with an MS-DOS header (MZ are the
first two "characters" of any MS-DOS EXE), but continue with the non-MS-DOS
stuff. Non-knowledgable loaders/OSes will run a stub contained in (referenced
from?) the MS-DOS header that says eg. "This program cannot be run under
MS-DOS" or "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

OS/2 only identifies the PE format as "some Windows stuff" and starts
Win-OS/2. If that has Win32s installed, it can identify _and load_ PE
executables, provided they are Win32s and don't _demand_ a win32s 1.30.

Quote:>There is a "PE2LX" converter available (Alpha code). This is
>the "Project Odin" code formerly known as WIN32-OS2.
>URL http://www.netlabs.org/odin
>This project allows you to either convert and run or
>"convert on load" PE executable files in OS/2.

Some PE executables. Only those that use API calls that can be mapped to OS/2
API calls and which have actually been mapped/implemented too.

--

Holland Railconsult BV, Integral Management of Railprocess Systems
Postbus 2855, 3500 GW Utrecht

1. Winos2 and w32s125.zip

Can anyone help with w32s125.zip? Is this to enable Win95 programs to be
run in Winos2? I assumed this was the purpose but maybe I am wrong :( I
tried but get an error message:- "Win32s error: invalid format." The
readme of 1995 from IBM says to expect this but I had hoped that this was
superceded by w32s125.zip.

Secondly, warp32s.zip, also on Hobbes, is dated later than w32s125.zip.
The details say it is for Warp 3+ Does this mean Warp 3 + Fixpaks, or does
it mean Warp 3 + Warp 4? Any help would be *very* welcome :)
Richard

Richard Prytula, Melbourne, Australia

2. After Dark and Warp

3. w32s125 install and GPF

4. CodeWarrior for Palm OS R5, Patch 1

5. ZIP drive and Winos2 problems

6. (off topic) - Free Resources - Recursos Gratuitos

7. winos2.com (os2win31.zip) doesn't work, clever tricks?

8. Retreival of Software Upd

9. Suggestion in smldrv21.zip causes Trap000D in WinOS2.

10. Wanted: Flight sim 5.1 - fs51_1.zip (1/1) - fs51_1.zip (0/1)

11. Info-ZIP: zip and swapper.dat file

12. MSHELL2.ZIP and CSHELL@.ZIP at cdrom: sorry : -(

13. gnumake.zip defectively zipped?