Dos Compatibility.

Post by Kashif A. Bogha » Wed, 20 Jul 1994 06:44:10

Hiya there people,

I have a question for y'all out there. This is the first time that i am going
to be installing and using os/2 ONLY because i wanna use it as the multitasker
for my dos based bbs software. The problem that i am having is that half the
way through installation program (the bbs software) the dos windows from
within os/2 freezes on me and gives me an error sys3176 (i think or its 3174).
Is this an error related to os/2 not being campatible? the reason why i ask
this is that i can install that same software without any problems in a dos
window in ms-windows 3.1. I am using os/2 v2.1. will this problem be solved if
i get the upgrade to 2.11??

I really need to have this working, and i would appreciate any help that anyone

a message here. Thanx allot in advance.

Kashif.

Dos Compatibility.

Post by Noah Rom » Thu, 21 Jul 1994 09:11:06

: Hiya there people,

: I have a question for y'all out there. This is the first time that i am going
: to be installing and using os/2 ONLY because i wanna use it as the multitasker
: for my dos based bbs software. The problem that i am having is that half the
: way through installation program (the bbs software) the dos windows from
: within os/2 freezes on me and gives me an error sys3176 (i think or its 3174).
: Is this an error related to os/2 not being campatible? the reason why i ask
[snip]
OS/2 (version 2.11) gives these explanations for the above errors:

SYS3176: A program in this session encountered a problem and cannot
continue.
EXPLANATION: An illegal instruction exception was generated
when an attempt was made to execute an instruction whose operation was
not defined for the host machine architecture.  On the Intel 80386**
processor, this corresponds to the invalid opcode fault (#6), caused by
an invalid instruction. ACTION: If you purchased this program, contact
the supplier of the program.  If you are the developer of this program,
refer to the information in the register.
SYS3174: A program in this session encountered a problem and cannot continue.
EXPLANATION: A single-step exception was generated when a trace trap or
other single instruction execution mechanism signaled that one
instruction was executed. This exception is intended for use by
de*s. ACTION: If you purchased this program, contact the supplier of

--
Noah Romer              |"Calm down, it's only ones and zeros." - this message

PGP key available       |"Time will have its say, it always does." - Celltrex
upon request            |from Flying to Valhalla by Charles Pellegrino

1. OS/2 DOS Compatibility

I've been reading about shortcomings that OS/2 has in running DOS apps. What
I would like to know is, which DOS apps can OS/2 NOT run? I've tried a
bunch myself, and haven't found a SINGLE THING that won't run under OS/2.

I'd like to know what will break OS/2. I certainly haven't found anything!

I will say, however, that there are a couple of minor problems with the
service pak. I have seen a couple of buglets where WPS objects don't hold
their attributes (I can't seem to change the color of shadow text) but
on the whole, crashes are EXTREMELY rare. As a matter of fact, I haven't
crashed the service pak yet - not once. A nice improvement over the GA release.
The biggest stumbling blocks I can see are in video driver support and the
lack of applications. And IBM is taking care of this, supposedly. I have my
fingers crossed.

There has been one aspect of NT that I've read about that I can see as a clear
advantage over OS/2 - this is the server/client model of GUI implementation. I
have written a couple of X Window apps and can say that the built-in network-
ability is something that both OS/2 and Windows 3.1 are simply missing. Kudos
to Microsoft to having a little foresight.

Of course, TODAY, I have to use OS/2. It's available, it's reliable, and the
functionality is fantastic (you never really undertand how bad the Program
Manager is until you've used the OS/2 Workplace Shell for a while). Give me an
NT with:
        Near flawless DOS compatibility (Like I've experienced OS/2 to be)
        A good GUI (again, the OS/2 WPS)
        Good performance with 8 meg (OS/2 wins here but still isn't quite good
                                        enough)
and maybe I'll consider it. I'll use the product that makes me the most productive.

--
*       Glenn Wasserman - Rutgers University - Computer Science         *

2. ODBCConfig install error under KDE 3

3. DOS Compatibility under OS/2 2.0

4. Give us some files

5. DOS compatibility

6. Reading Mountain QIC-40 in Jumbo Tracker 250

7. Future DOS compatibility under OS/2?

8. Disk Images

9. Diamond/DTC/Comptrade compatibility (Was "OS/2 and hardware compatibility")

10. OS/2 compatibility with Windows/DOS stuff?

11. DOS Question: 6.2 and 2.1GA compatibility

12. Novell DOS 7 compatibility?

13. OS/2 2.0 vs OS/2 2.1 : Differences in DOS/Windows compatibility