Windows NT vs. OS/2 2.1 Review

Post by Juan Carlos Per » Mon, 16 Aug 1993 14:33:02

From: "Wayne J. Hyde" <w...@beach.cis.ufl.edu>

Here is my review.  I cannot post it due to a problem with our news
server.  If you would post it for me (if it isn't already posted --
I've sent this to a few people), I'd appreciate it.

Ok!  Here is the review of NT & OS2 that I promised.  Keep
in mind that these results were taken from *MY* testing
of NT on *MY* machine.  For those who need to know again,
my machine configuration is as follows:

        Gateway 2000 486/66, 256k cache, 16 meg SIMM.
        ATI VLB GUP w/ 2 megs
        2, WD Caviar 340 meg IDE drives.
             -- NT resides on a 160 meg NTFS partition
     ** Logitech Bus Mouse
     ** Future Domain 860M SCSI card
        TeXEL 3024 CDROM
        Jumbo 250

** For some reason, NT assumes that the FD8xx controllers
use IRQ 5.  I have mine set to IRQ 11 or 12 with my
mouse on IRQ 5, so NT didn't recognize my mouse or SCSI
card at first.  I had to manually change the IRQ setting
under the registry to get both to work.  Hmph.

NOTE:  I *REALLY* tried to give NT a fair shot at
winning over my system.  If NT turned out to be
better than OS/2, I would have purchased NT for myself.

[I was using a friend's upgrade from the beta since he
didn't have a system to run NT on]

During my tests, I tried to run the same programs on
both operating systems to keep everything consistent.

Example:
When I used NT's Paintbrush to load the large (2 meg) BMP
that hung the system for a while, I ran the Paintbrush from
win3.1 seamlessly under OS/2.

To simulate heavy loads, I ran QRT to hog CPU time.

Winbench 3.1

(I closed all applications and minimized the ProgMan)

OS/2 2.1 using 8514/A drivers from 2.1 1024x768x256

Mode             Score         Elapsed Time